Home U.S. Coin Forum

IMPORTANT****Private Message System****IMPORTANT

TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 31, 2016 7:06AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Many folks are having a little bit of a hard time with the PM system. This is to be expected, I would assume, when we moved to a new forum. However, some folks are mistaking the new PM system with the public walls that each member has. In the past we did not have these public walls on the PCGS site, so I imagine that not everyone is on the same page with their use.

If you wish to send a PM to someone you want to click the "Message" icon on the upper right of each person's page. This is next to where their avatar would be located. That will generate a new page titled "New Message" to send a PM. However, not everyone is doing this. Many folks appear to be clicking on a user's name or avatar from a thread and this takes you to the person's public page. This public page will have all their stats such as numbers of "Like", "Dislike", "Agree", etc...as well as a box under the title "Activity". I assume that folks who are inadvertently posting public messages that are meant to be private are doing so by typing their PM in the box under "Activity". By doing this you are sending a public message that can be read by all.

For security and confidentiality, I cannot stress strongly enough to make certain your message is actually private-

1) Click a person's name or avatar and it will take you to their page.

2) Click the "Message" icon on the upper right of each person's page.

3) Type your PM on the new page that opens up and is titled "New Message".

Be careful with your information. Be safe.

PS: Thanks, keets!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Comments

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly correct. This arose in another thread but maybe Tom's message above should be stuck.

Now...for those who have accidentally published personal, confidential info...can wall messages be erased?

To see if you screwed up click on "Activity" at the top and page through. Wall messages are interspersed with nonsense notices like badges earned.
    Lance.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom, you forgot an important first step which leads to a members "page" in the system. to do that, simply click the members icon.

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank, keets! Amended above to reflect your input.

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I posted a note on your wall, so people can see what that looks like.

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RYK said:
    I posted a note on your wall, so people can see what that looks like.

I deleted it...

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

ttt

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good post Tom.....many people are not familiar with systems such as this...Cheers, RickO

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the tutorial

• bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting this. And yes the wall posts can be deleted. There should be an x in the upper right hand corner of any post that allows you to remove.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks much for a great public service announcement!!! :)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭

I'm getting lost in here....

Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks again, Tom for the heads up.

I wish I had read your post before sending a "Private Message"
    for all the world to read.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • @TomB said:
    Many folks are having a little bit of a hard time with the PM system. This is to be expected, I would assume, when we moved to a new forum. However, some folks are mistaking the new PM system with the public walls that each member has. In the past we did not have these public walls on the PCGS site, so I imagine that not everyone is on the same page with their use.

If you wish to send a PM to someone you want to click the "Message" icon on the upper right of each person's page. This is next to where their avatar would be located. That will generate a new page titled "New Message" to send a PM. However, not everyone is doing this. Many folks appear to be clicking on a user's name or avatar from a thread and this takes you to the person's public page. This public page will have all their stats such as numbers of "Like", "Dislike", "Agree", etc...as well as a box under the title "Activity". I assume that folks who are inadvertently posting public messages that are meant to be private are doing so by typing their PM in the box under "Activity". By doing this you are sending a public message that can be read by all.

For security and confidentiality, I cannot stress strongly enough to make certain your message is actually private-

1) Click a person's name or avatar and it will take you to their page.

2) Click the "Message" icon on the upper right of each person's page.

3) Type your PM on the new page that opens up and is titled "New Message".

Be careful with your information. Be safe.

PS: Thanks, keets!

Thank you @TomB

I just replied to another thread regarding this and I put an announcement on the U.S. Coin Forum page. Please see below:

Hello Everybody!

If you would like to PM or "Private Message" a forum user, you should be sure you are sending them a PM and not posting on their "wall."

To send a PM to a forum user, click on the user's name to be messaged, then click on the "Message" link with an image of an unopened envelope in the upper right corner of the profile or wall. This icon will be next to the user's profile image.

Type your message in the field provided and click on "Post Message." This will send the user a notification, via their preferred method, letting them know they have received a PM.

If you would like to post something to a user's wall, click on their username, once their profile page loads, click in the blank field below the word "Activity." Once you have finished your post, click on "Add Comment" to post this comment to the user's wall.

PLEASE NOTE: MESSAGES POSTED ON A USER'S WALL ARE VIEWABLE BY OTHER USERS, NOT JUST THE USER YOU POSTED IT ON.

If you have previously sent or received PM's or wall activity, we encourage you to review your wall and any other user's wall that you have messaged to ensure that you have not posted anything publicly that you wish to be private.

David Talk
    PCGS Set Registry Manager
  • BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

TomB, PM sent.

TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you @TomB @keets and @PCGSCSManager, all very helpful information!

Kind Regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good time to revisit this topic.

A lot of personal information (real names, addresses, etc.) and “conversations” being posted!

:#

The thread below is by @SetRegistryManager and has pics (same as his post above).

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/971332/pms-vs-posting-to-a-users-wall-please-read

• CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

While attempting to send a PM, I inadvertently sent a message to the public wall.

Realizing my error, I could find no way to recall or delete the wall message on my own.

I contacted the recipient, who deleted the message from his public wall.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinHoarder said:
    While attempting to send a PM, I inadvertently sent a message to the public wall.

Realizing my error, I could find no way to recall or delete the wall message on my own.

I contacted the recipient, who deleted the message from his public wall.

I did the same thing. Fortunately there was no personal information and nothing embarrassing. :#

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used it last night. I think for the first time. I hope I did it right. The subject concerned the possible reasons for the most recent banning. Unfortunate.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    I used it last night. I think for the first time. I hope I did it right. The subject concerned the possible reasons for the most recent banning. Unfortunate.

I do not see any public wall comments from you so it appears you did send a PM and the recipient is the only one who can see it.

• TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭

While on the topic you should check you user settings, in the settings you can chose many options that will also send you an actual Email to let you know that you have one, you have so many settings and options on notifications you will be surprised and impressed with the program running this site.

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2020 1:53PM

Does anyone even use the public wall?

If it's not a popular feature they might as well get rid of it. That would solve the issue permanently.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2020 2:24PM

@ms70 said:

If it's not a popular feature they might as well get rid of it. That would solve the issue permanently.

yES, i have in the past when I wanted everyone to see exactly what I posted to the other member. >:)

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:

@Hydrant said:

I do not see any public wall comments from you so it appears you did send a PM and the recipient is the only one who can see it.

Thanks. I kept it simple and brief. Don't want any trouble.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@ms70 said:

yES, i have in the past when I wanted everyone to see exactly what I posted to the other member. >:)

Ok.... That's ONE documented use of it. LOL :D

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:

@Insider2 said:

@ms70 said:

Ok.... That's ONE documented use of it. LOL :D

I think it was 3 or 4 times. :o

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file