Home U.S. Coin Forum

A crusty standing Liberty with a little character

Comments

• I like it

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,995 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks cleaned before it was allowed to re-tone.

peacockcoins

• TJM965TJM965 Posts: 446 ✭✭✭

Nice coin for a circulated set.

• gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

It may have an old cleaning but for $8 I couldn't resist.

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is it! if you like it that's all that counts $8 well spent.

Hoard the keys.
  • Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

A nice coin, especially for 8 bucks. Branch mint issue with mintage is under 2 million.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• ricmanricman Posts: 313 ✭✭✭

Nice strong date.

• DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

These types of coins are the heart and soul of 'collecting'. Imagine how the average collector of some means would assemble a set of SLQs . . . the later dates in XF-AU, the middle dates in F-VF, and the earlier in the best affordable. This sort of coin, used in commerce by hundreds or thousands, was eventually put away while still meaty, and then resurrected to a collection.

Great history . . . great possibility, great acquisition. You can buy a huge chunk of history (albeit unknown) for a paltry sum of $8. Bravo!

Drunner

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

$8 is a good deal .... and Drunner is feeling happy :smile:

• DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seattle . . . . .

Missing our time in Portland. Bag Burn is still in the fold . . . .

Yup . . . Perhaps a bit of Pinot Grigio taking hold . . but still, meaning what I posted. Great collector coin . .

Have a good one !!

Drunner

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep...that one has seen some commerce.... probably purchased a few beers....Cheers, RickO

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Yep...that one has seen some commerce.... probably purchased a few beers....Cheers, RickO

When I was kid I remember riding part the ruins of the abandoned Chester, Pennsylvania Brewery when I went on auto parts buying trips with my dad. A sign on the outside of the building read, "Silver dime beer." I wonder if that was standard price for a glass back in the day?

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bill...back in the fifties, it was standard for a small draft beer to be a nickel...there was a big brouhaha when the local bars all went to a dime. A schooner (large glass) was a quarter. Not sure what prices were in the forties...Cheers, RickO

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin for the money.

• AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's an $8 coin. If it brings you pleasure it is a great coin. There is nothing "wrong" with that coin.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file