Home Precious Metals
Options

These look cool...

I am going to pick one up and see how it looks in hand. Thoughts? I'm a sucker for something like this. :smile:

ebay.com/itm/Sale-Price-2017-10-oz-Silver-Canada-the-Great-CTG-Niagara-Falls-50-Coin-In-C-/182324325597?_trkparms=5373%3A0%7C5374%3AFeatured

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very neat coin. The mark-up over bullion value is actually quite reasonable for a 10 oz silver coin such as this.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭

I'm also biased as I like the 5 oz ATBs.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

1 oz --> 1/2 oz --> 1/4 oz --> 1/10 oz

The premiums go up as the weight goes down. I suppose this is overhead. (Would love dcarr to comment)

So, why doesn't the mark up go down for 100g, 5 oz, 10 oz, kilo, 100 oz, etc?

Fewer made?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    1 oz --> 1/2 oz --> 1/4 oz --> 1/10 oz

The premiums go up as the weight goes down. I suppose this is overhead. (Would love dcarr to comment)

So, why doesn't the mark up go down for 100g, 5 oz, 10 oz, kilo, 100 oz, etc?

Fewer made?

Mark up does go down the larger the weight. I would've thought being able to buy 100 oz Engelhards for darn near Spot would've been impossible 5 years ago, but if you look hard enough you can get them at Spot. I recently flipped a 100 oz "RCM" bar at a coin show from one dealer there to another. I made $25 for walking a few feet.

To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are definitely some reasonably good deals to be found lately. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty cool! :)

• Options

Looks good. Pretty good price. BUT, the NYS sales tax kills it for me.

• Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought one, thanks for the heads up. Only 15K mintage. should sell out soon I would guess.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options

I broke down and bought one. Very neat coin and it has 10 oz of pure silver.

• Options

I'm surprised that these coins are dated 2017. Hopefully I won't have to wait until next year to get my coin. :D

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭

They are very nice. Love the younger Queen portrait. These are a private dealer partnership and while nice, these types of issues dont tend to gain much value over issue. But buy what you like!

"Bullion Exchanges is thrilled to be a partner with one of the most leading refiners in the world - the Royal Canadian Mint! We believe that this joint effort with the Royal Canadian Mint and Bullion Exchanges will give our clients a great opportunity to diversify their collector’s portfolio with this gorgeous new Canada the Great (CTG) series."

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options

@newnotes....."Looks good. Pretty good price. BUT, the NYS sales tax kills it for me." Do they (in Canada) bill you for NYS state tax?????? I did not know that... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

@newnotes said:
    Looks good. Pretty good price. BUT, the NYS sales tax kills it for me.

Get 5 and you're clear.

• Options

Not available from Canada. Seems like an exclusive item with Bullion Exchanges.

Only about 14,850 to go.

• Options

@carew4me said:
    They are very nice. Love the younger Queen portrait. These are a private dealer partnership and while nice, these types of issues dont tend to gain much value over issue. But buy what you like!

"Bullion Exchanges is thrilled to be a partner with one of the most leading refiners in the world - the Royal Canadian Mint! We believe that this joint effort with the Royal Canadian Mint and Bullion Exchanges will give our clients a great opportunity to diversify their collector’s portfolio with this gorgeous new Canada the Great (CTG) series."

Aren't they legal tender coins since they were minted by the Royal Canadian Mint and carry a $50 face value? I assume the partnership refers to the Bullion Exchanges being the official distributor of these coins.

• Options

"Not available from Canada." OK...that explains the sales tax..... Thanks, Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    "Not available from Canada." OK...that explains the sales tax..... Thanks, Cheers, RickO

That doesn't mean that someone in Canada can't order one on eBay or directly from the Bullion Exchanges web site. Apparently Bullion Exchanges is the sole distributor for these coins.

• Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Came in, Nice chunk of silver in hand!

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options

I also just got mine. I like that they are sealed in a heavy plastic capsule. I was quite impressed with this huge coin. Very flashy with no visible impairments.

• Options

Definitely an attractive coin and impressive size. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭

Mine also came and I too was surprised by the quality. I think I'd still prefer the ATBs though. :smile:

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might do well to be marketed at the Falls to the newly weds or young lovers.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".