Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Star Basketball Thread- Feel free to share!

I am starting a thread dedicated to Star basketball cards. My interest and collection of Star cards had grown over the past year and I am hoping to use this thread to share pickups and information. Star produced cards from 1983 to 1986 and had an exclusive contract with the NBA during their years of production. They were fortunate to have the some of the very first officially licensed NBA cards of some of the greatest basketball players to ever walk the Earth. Of course, they also had the very first NBA card of the Best player ever, Michael Jordan. Here is a scan of Michael Jordan's 1986 Court Kings card. Court Kings were a subset of 33 cards and estimated print run is around 5000 of each card.

On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.

Comments

• Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    Sweet. I have this but in an 8.5. Maybe I'll dig it out of the closet one of these days and post it. I only have two star Jordans, both from the 86 sets. I would like to get some more but they are getting really expensive.

Kind of a sad story (for me anyway);
    A few years ago at a local card show, there was a dealer who had about ten BGS 9 1986 star Jordans (forget which ones) and he was selling them for $90 a piece. Unfortunately, I had no money at the time so couldn't even buy one.
  • Options
    sushihotwingssushihotwings Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

$90 a piece! Wish our time machine was working. Post the pictures when you get a chance. Some really nice variety of Jordan photos in 86.

• Options

I'll add a few things.

First is a fully autographed 1984-85 Star Court Kings set, all 50 cards. Here is the Jordan.

Next is my BGS 8.5 Star Jordan 101 with the rest of the complete 1985 Star set in sealed bags.

I also have a 1985 Star Last 11 ROY Bag GAI Graded 9.5, but I do not have a scan of it handy. Example below which is not mine.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options

Wow! That is a seriously amazing collection. That certainly takes a lot of self control to not rip those bags. The #101 Jordan shows real nice. How did you obtain all the autographs? The autographed Court Kings look to be in super shape as well.

• Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

Great thread and great cards. Here are my Star cards. It's not just the Jordan rookie that PSA is missing out on but also Drexler, Isaih, Wilkins, Barkley, Alajuwon, Stockton and Ewing.

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options

Great Cards! Clyde's looking up at the grade on the label like he's not happy with a 7.5

• Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭

@TommyB23 said:
    Great Cards! Clyde's looking up at the grade on the label like he's not happy with a 7.5

Lol, that's funny.

• Options

I love all the vivid colors Star used.

• Options

I really enjoy collecting the oversized 5x7 inch Star cards. These cards are difficult to find in Mint condition because the size made them particularly condition sensitive. They don't exactly fit into your traditional card protector. This card is part of the Team Supers series produced in 1985

• Options

Dominique Wilkins "The Human Highlight Machine". Star produced a series in 1985 called Slam Dunk Supers. Oversized 5x7 inch just how it should be. Check out the you tube link to see some of his dunks in a walk down memory lane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyUf-9ruJi8

• Options

The Jordan Slam Dunk Super is probably my favorite Star Card ever made. See the youtube video if you need any reminder why he is the GOAT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHOzvqqyxow

• Options

I mostly just have Jordans in Star.

• Options

I like this one.

• Options
    ifyoucanthinkofitifyoucanthinkofit Posts: 39
    edited October 25, 2016 3:13PM

This one has taken off in the last year. Sorry about the small image.

• Options

@sushihotwings said:
    Wow! That is a seriously amazing collection. That certainly takes a lot of self control to not rip those bags. The #101 Jordan shows real nice. How did you obtain all the autographs? The autographed Court Kings look to be in super shape as well.

Thanks. I purchased the entire set from BBCE, who acquired it from a long-time collector. One day, I'll post the entire set. It is gorgeous.

Joe

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options

That Jordan Pro Stats photo always amazes me. First looks like he is really flying and the basketball looks like a softball in his hand.

• Options

@sushihotwings said:
    That Jordan Pro Stats photo always amazes me. First looks like he is really flying and the basketball looks like a softball in his hand.

It's probably the closest to looking like the 1986-87 Fleer photo.

• Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭

Very nice. What is the reason again that PSA doesn't grade these?

• Options

I have no idea. I think myth that the cards were reproduced by star from the original printing plates scared psa away. I would hope now that that rumor has been debunked they would revisit their position on these great cards

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 27, 2016 12:22AM

Great topic David. Although, shhhh... I would rather Star cards not bump significantly until after I have had a chance to complete my run. Anyway, I echo a lot of the thoughts expressed already. I love the look of the cards, with the action photos and bright colored sets. The three Jordan cards from the 1984 set are absolute beasts to find with decent centering. These Star cards are the first true "RC's" of some of the game's greatest players. I will add a couple cards I haven't seen posted yet.

"Big Game" James XRC

Dominique All Rookies

"His Airness" Gatorade Slam Dunk

Steve
  • Options

Great cards Steve. So many ballers in the 80s.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

If PSA starts to slab the Star cards would the value of the 86 Fleer cards come down, specifically the key rookies that weren't actual rookies in 86?

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

@Cakes said:
    If PSA starts to slab the Star cards would the value of the 86 Fleer cards come down, specifically the key rookies that weren't actual rookies in 86?

Great hypothetical. My first inclination is no, certainly not by an appreciable margin. There are always ups and downs with the hobby. If there was a dip in 86 Fleer cards in your scenario, I don't think it would last long. Just look at the example of 51 Bowman and 52 Topps baseball. 51B is even acknowledged as the true RC for Mantle and Mays yet the 52 Topps is still dominant. Or even sticking with the 80's, the 84 USFL set is valuable but it has not necessarily depressed the value of 86 Topps FB (where many of the 84 USFL players have their first Topps "RCs"). The 86 set may be the most popular set of the last 60 years, this will not change if PSA starts grading Star cards. I do think the Star cards will rise dramatically if PSA starts grading them. I am skeptical that they will in the near future though.

Steve
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those Star cards are awesome and I agree they have some eye popping colors. Thanks for sharing the great videos also. It reminds me why Jordan is king and his cards command those high prices.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options

Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon. This is the player I most tried to emulate playing basketball in high school. When the only BGS 10 ever graded came up for sale I had to have it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-OdHyp2cwY

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

@slum22 said:

@Cakes said:

The 86 set may be the most popular set of the last 60 years.

After reading that statement, the 1975 Topps baseball set came to mind so I took a look into it, and I was quite surprised to see on the PSA set registry that there is such a large difference in quantity of basic company sets registered, 367 1986 Fleer basketball vs. 226 1975 Topps Baseball. The top 3 baseball in the past 60 years are the 1975 Topps, plus #2 235 sets of 1960 Topps Baseball and #1 261 sets of 1956 Topps Baseball. I realize full well that not every enthusiast has their set registered, but either way, the registry numbers are an interesting statistic. FYI, Top football set doesn't make the 60-year cut, with 153 registered sets of 1955 Topps All-American. Inside 60 years, #1 is 120 sets of 1957 Topps. Gotta look past 60 years for the #1 hockey set for registry participation as well, with 103 on the 1954-55 Topps. Less than 60 years for hockey gets you 91 sets of 1962-63 Parkhurst.

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got the Drexlers hanging around here, my favorite NBA player ever. Did have Worthy 84-86(all 9's) also but sold those off.

• Options

I think that if psa started grading these it would have an impact to 86 fleer other than the Jordan. I agree that the 86 fleer Jordan is like the 52 topps mick,,. It's iconic and will never lose collectibility IMO. I think the other HOF rookies in the 86 set that are less iconic would lose value to their earlier star cards.

• Options

Star produced a subset of cards in 1985 called Lite All-Stars. Here is the Jordan.

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 4, 2016 9:30AM

What impact (if any) does the fact that these were not "in packs"?. If you wanted a Bulls team set, you bought it. If you wanted a Sixers team set, you bought it....etc. I know it was filling a void because of the Big Boys not producing cards, but will these always be the undervalued because of how these could be acquired ?

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options

Dave, that is a big time card. The Lite All Stars and Crunch & Munch are a couple of the toughest Jordans.

Steve
  • Options

@steel75 said:
    What impact (if any) does the fact that these were not "in packs"?. If you wanted a Bulls team set, you bought it. If you wanted a Sixers team set, you bought it....etc. I know it was filling a void because of the Big Boys not producing cards, but will these always be the undervalued because of how these could be acquired ?

Distribution might play a small role in holding down prices but I don't think it's the primary reason. The 82 TT Ripken, 84 Fleer Update BB and 84 USFL cards are examples of cards distributed in set form that still hold premium values

Steve
  • Options

I remember as a kid, Star cards were almost like a unicorn. Living in Florida, I saw a few Jordan Fleer rookies, but only heard or read about Star in magazines. Great thread.

Joe

• Options
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options

Classic Jordan pose. Beautiful card

• Options

I was curious if anyone knew how BGS grades the top to bottom centering on star cards. When I look at the example below (not mine), it looks to me like it's centered 70/30 or worse. Here I'm assuming the bottom border is the width of the red between the Bulls logo and the edge. Does BGS define the borders differently?

• Options

stanforddude,

I've asked myself the same question regarding the BGS centering grades on the 101 Jordan. Although I don't know if BGS defines the borders differently, from the many examples I've seen online and in person, when the card looks off-center top-to-bottom on the front, it is usually much better centered on the back. Conversely, when the card looks almost perfectly centered top-to-bottom on the front, it is notably off-center on the back. This is generally true; however, there are probably some out there that are well-centered top-to-bottom on both front and back. But, at least for the Jordan 101, it appears that many of the sheets were printed such that the printing on the back is somewhat higher than the printing on the front. Thus, a card that looks like it has too much border on the top/front, looks much better centered on the back.

If anyone's had this discussion with BGS, please share. Otherwise, we can only conclude that this centering is how BGS has determined it "should be." Like you noted, the card you posted clearly appears off-centered on the front. It's almost as if the graders look at the back of the card to determine the centering grade---antithetical, of course---to how cards are usually graded. So why couldn't they just look at the front, and accept that the back is usually off-centered? I mean, how many Topps cards from the 80s (or 70s or 60s) have you seen where the front is well-centered and the back is way off-centered, but it still gets a PSA or BGS Mint 9 designation (since the centering tolerance on the back is usually 90/10)?

I don't know. This is just another reason I hope that PSA eventually grades these cards again.

• Options

KnightRider. Lots of new data and research is out there that wasn't available when they stopped grading that has debunked many of the reasons they stopped in the first place. Most importantly there are ways to more easily identify counterfeits. I do think the variation in sizes does create challenges as you mentioned but not a reason in of itself to pass over such important cards. Unfortunately I think it may be more of a financial decision at this point, with such limited print runs and so many cards in BGS holders already. I think they might underestimate how many people would love to switch over into a PSA holder though.

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

If PSA did start back grading the Star cards I think this would be one of the cases where the BGS graded cards would sell for more than the PSA graded ones.
    James

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

@jfkheat said:
    If PSA did start back grading the Star cards I think this would be one of the cases where the BGS graded cards would sell for more than the PSA graded ones.
    James

In the long run maybe due to scarcity, but in short term no way. They would be low pop in PSA as grades come out for a few years and also would be chased heavily by registry collectors. BGS remains underneath looking up at PSA.

• Options

Picked up a Bulls Team Supers Set with Graded Mint Jordan Rookie

• Options

Another high grade pickup recently. Buy the dip.

• Options

At least I know who is outbidding me :)

Joe

• Options

@SpinFadeSplash23 said:
    At least I know who is outbidding me :)

I am fully engaged on this price dip upgrading some of my lower grades. The earliest cards of the greatest player to ever touch a basketball will only disappear and get more expensive in coming years imo.

• Options
    ICE9ICE9 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

From the days when PSA did grade Star...

"Must these Englishmen Live That I Might Die? Must They Live That I Might Die?" - The Blue Oyster Cult
  • Options

Boy that image brings back memories from the prime days of my youth watching NBA

• Options

I'm based in Australia. I have been reading through this thread... Awesome to know there are like minded collectors out there. I have posted my Jordan star card collection.

I have 13 of the 27 Jordan star cards graded by Beckett grading services and a double of the 84-85 Court Kings #26.

My goal is to get the 14 cards I am missing: (nb: Based on current price increases this should only take me another 30 years...)

84-86 BGS GRADED JORDAN COLLECTOR

• Options

• Options

Do you think this would be a fair swap if I could find someone willing to trade? let me know your thoughts?

Looking to trade my 3 cards: (See picture attached)
    Star Co. 84-85 Jordan #195 OLY BGS 8
    Star Co. 84-85 Jordan #288 ROY BGS 8
    Star Co. 84-85 Jordan #26 Court Kings (5x7) BGS 8.5

for 2 cards:
    Star Co. 84-85 Jordan #195 OLY BGS 8.5
    Star Co. 84-85 Jordan #288 ROY BGS 8.5

Kindly
    Mike

• Options

**ps: Does anyone know of any collectors who have the entire 27 Jordan star card collection in 8.5 or better grades?
    I would love to see the collections of the two people who own the #101 Jordans graded BGS 9.5.

I'm sure there are some big fish with deep pockets who have incredible collections