Home U.S. Coin Forum

What are you thoughts on this Capped Bust Half?

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a 1813 O-101 50/UNI PCGS45. Like or dislike and any comments.

Comments

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't like the dark brown that is just me dumb Type2, A lot of detail on it.

Hoard the keys.
  • sadysta1sadysta1 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭
    I think it's not a good picture. I'm sure it looks better in person
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you like cameo circs, then it's nice, but I am not a fan of those.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm suspicious of the green over the brown surfaces. That looks unusual and not like toning, at least judging from the pic.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

The green is suspect, I would really like to see it in hand.

I do like XF45 Bust Halves with a bit of luster in the protected areas.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:
    I'm suspicious of the green over the brown surfaces. That looks unusual and not like toning, at least judging from the pic.

Are you thinking PVC or something else?

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every time I see a bust coin with that wear pattern it looks like Vitiligo, It has some green as well will that come off or is it toning?

Hoard the keys.

@Type2 said:
    Every time I see a bust coin with that wear pattern it looks like Vitiligo, It has some green as well will that come off or is it toning?

I don't know......I don't have the coin in hand.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

If that is how the coin really looks, it's not my thing. I have never cared for that two tone look with what appears to be a lighter, rubbed look on the high points.

I can think of two ways this look might happen. The piece was circulation and put away with a lot of other coins. Sometime during that storage it got lose and got a tiny bit more wear that rubbed off a very thin layer toning. The other way is that the coin is dipped, not properly rinsed, and placed in an envelope, perhaps even while still wet. The areas that touch the envelope don't tone or have a lighter color while the rest of coins tones darkly.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • KoinickerKoinicker Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

You can find a better example Jon!

• MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Jon...Hate it... Save your money for FUN ... And, my birthday dinner !! Lol

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases

@MFH said:

Mike....you are such a hoot! Don't worry you will get your Birthday dinner! I know how special # 100 is. ;)

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally, I'm not into that look. (blotchy dark areas on the portrait)

• MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@MFH said:

Mike....you are such a hoot! Don't worry you will get your Birthday dinner! I know how special # 100 is. ;)

That's right, 8 Lb New England Lobster doesn't come cheap... let alone my 50 yr old Jamesons. B)

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2016 1:11PM

@DIMEMAN said:

@ms70 said:

Are you thinking PVC or something else?

That's what I was wondering, but it's hard to tell without it in hand. I don't recall ever seeing toning over surfaces that were already dark.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a fan at all!

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't see a single reason to want to own that coin (if it looks like the photo), but I'm a type guy. Unless it's some obscure Overton variety, circulated CBH coins aren't rare. I'm sure you can do better.
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks "processed" to me

• SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not my cup of tea...

• @BillJones said:
    I have never cared for that two tone
    I can think of two ways this look might happen. The piece was circulation and put away with a lot of other coins. Sometime during that storage it got lose and got a tiny bit more wear that rubbed off a very thin layer toning. The other way is that the coin is dipped, not properly rinsed, and placed in an envelope, perhaps even while still wet. The areas that touch the envelope don't tone or have a lighter color while the rest of coins tones darkly.

That type of two tone look is the result of long term pvc damage, In my opinion. It is a common look to coins that spent years in plasticized flips that eventually ate away the high points of the coin. It is a look that I always pass on, even if straight graded. Active pvc may have been removed, but I don't like the look.

merse

• No idea why the quoted font did that in post above.....

merse

Well, I ask for and got a lot of honest opinions. I thank everyone for that. Looks like I am about the only one who likes this coin. It is not mine and probably never will be, but I liked it for the originality look of it. Not the normal bright silver half.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the variety. I'm not crazy about the look but the surfaces seem nice.
    Lance.

• KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not my cup of tea.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    Well, I ask for and got a lot of honest opinions. I thank everyone for that. Looks like I am about the only one who likes this coin. It is not mine and probably never will be, but I liked it for the originality look of it. Not the normal bright silver half.

I am not so sure that that look is original. I'd have see it in person to render an opinion.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do not care for it. Dark bordering on ED.

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2016 8:20PM

A cross between Rocky Raccoon and Bat Girl.

Not a fan based on the photos presented.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the variety, but not this one.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would pass.
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice variety, ugly coin

Frank

BHNC #203

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file