Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1796 Quarter on E-bay Not Identified as being plugged & re-engraved

It is pretty obvious at the date and at ES of the reverse. Just thought I would let everyone know about this in case someone was planning to bid...I have sent the seller the information as well...

ebay.com/itm/1796-Draped-Bust-Silver-Quarter-Dollar-FIRST-YEAR-High-Grade-CHOICE-XF-Scarce-/122168305540?hash=item1c71cc6784:g:e-YAAOSwImRYCFZt

Here is a link to the the auction it sold in back in January...

https://coins.ha.com/itm/early-quarters/quarters-and-twenty-cents/1796-25c-b-1-r4-plugged-pcgs-genuine-vf-details/a/1231-3831.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Quarternut

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

Comments

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

But, . . . the eBay listing says it is from "a good friend's large inherited coin collection"!

Seems to me that this statement is in conflict with the fact that the coin was bought in an auction in January 2016.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2016 12:27PM

So it's actually genuine then. I was very suspicious of that when I saw it.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2016 1:00PM

Oh yes, it's real and has the usual look that these pieces have for VF sharpness.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get a chuckle from the many eBay sellers' lies.
    "Grandfather's, estate sale, inherited...etc."
    So much baloney.
    In the eyes of a possibly rube buyer, what is seen as the advantage in such purchases?
    Is it the assumption the material is "fresh" ?
    I admit I don't really get it...I don't care where the coin came from (with the exception of stolen goods)....just, can I make any money selling it.

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sent a message:

There appears to be tooling by the date and the opposing area on the reverse. It looks plugged to me. Is it?

By the way, if so, this should be mentioned.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

you can pretty much guarantee the shill bidding will be strong

• Options
    michiganboymichiganboy Posts: 1,246 ✭✭

it already is

Positive BST transactions:michaeldixon,nibanny,
    type2,CCHunter.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a mess >:) The guy's a crook just like someone else that's a crook >:) I see her on television, on the news.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

@michiganboy said:
    it already is

Agreed.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He has a gobrecht posted that I bid on and I'm guessing the same was going on with that so I stopped.
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

Huge collection of raw coins. It would be interesting to look up all the auctions they where they bought these.

One slabbed coin out of the whole shooting match: 1872 Seated Dollar

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

These outfits that buy problem coins, break them out and then sell them raw as "estates" pop up from time to time on ebay. Not much you can do about them. I see that the Gobrecht is described as "XF++"... not.... quite....

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2016 7:38PM

For those of us who don't own nice, problem free 1796 quarters, how much money is something like this actually worth?

Certainly not "nothing", right? what's a fair number? Not a member of Heritage, how much did it go for? Thanks!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    edited October 22, 2016 7:54PM

This coin has a plugged hole and it looks to have been lightly cleaned. I'd say it's probably worth about what it went for in the Heritage auction, $5,500 to $6,000.

If this coin were a VF with original surfaces, I think that it would be worth $30,000 to $35,000.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Bill,
    So, that's about what problem-free a Fair-2 coin would go for. Poor "guide" is 4740, Fair is 5900, AG is 8500.

Personally, I'd rather have the repaired subject coin for those figures, than the typical Poor, Fair, or AG 1796.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭

Just finally heard back from the seller...

New message from: us_coin16
    "I bought the coin in late august! Unless I can have an independent source verify, or you can confirm the identity of the buyer this is speculation. The coins don't look identical."

Seems to me that it is easily identified as the same coin, but I guess he needs someone else to tell him...any takers?

And on another note: If he just bought it in August, how is it that he is stating that he is selling it for a friend who has supposedly inherited it in a large collection? me thinks something is amiss...

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dear us_coin16,

It is the same coin which was once identified as such.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/early-quarters/quarters-and-twenty-cents/1796-25c-b-1-r4-plugged-pcgs-genuine-vf-details/a/1231-3831.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

There is still time to post a correction, otherwise you'll lose all those bidders.
    Thank you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    To:eerc
    Subject:Re: Other: eerc sent a message about 1796 Draped Bust Silver Quarter Dollar. FIRST YEAR High Grade CHOICE XF++ Scarce #122168305540
    Sent Date:Oct-24-16 13:33:36 PDT

Dear eerc,

If I believed it were plugged, I would certainly note it. If there was any
    repair ( I see nothing to indicate such on the reverse) they did a mighty
    fine job. I will have to get an expert opinion on it.

-us_coin16

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭

@EagleEye said:

Dear us_coin16,

It is the same coin which was once identified as such.

There is still time to post a correction, otherwise you'll lose all those bidders.
    Thank you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    To:eerc
    Subject:Re: Other: eerc sent a message about 1796 Draped Bust Silver Quarter Dollar. FIRST YEAR High Grade CHOICE XF++ Scarce #122168305540
    Sent Date:Oct-24-16 13:33:36 PDT

Dear eerc,

If I believed it were plugged, I would certainly note it. If there was any
    repair ( I see nothing to indicate such on the reverse) they did a mighty
    fine job. I will have to get an expert opinion on it.

-us_coin16

Gee...I wonder who might be an expert with an opinion on if it is the same coin that PCGS (another expert who can and did render an opinion), determined that it was holed & plugged...maybe there is someone who really has a good knowledge of early quarters, or of early united states coins in general who could let him know that the coin he is trying to resell needs to be properly represented as what it is...

Gee...I can't think of anyone that could do that, can you? ;)

QN

• Options

Whoever the buyer is will be in for a real surprise when they get it in hand (hopefully) before it is sent off to PCGS or NGC.
    I think it is easily identifiable as the same coin, he is trying to con someone and make a good amount of $$$ doing it. It looks like it is going to work

• Options
    earlycoinsearlycoins Posts: 282 ✭✭✭

Beautiful coin. If sent for encapsulation could easily make AU 58 on the Grace L. Fergusson scale, and might come away with a super sticker.

In other words, chance of it being the same same?

No more than 100%.

People like this should be tarred, feathered, and ridden out of town on a rail.

• Options

It's currently at $10,200 plus $2.50 shipping with over 6 days to go: ebay auction

Almost double the Heritage result: ha.com result

The joys of shill-bay.

• Options
    coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭

I must say, whoever plugged it did a masterful job.

• Options
    earlycoinsearlycoins Posts: 282 ✭✭✭

Some poor bidderbis in for a huge surprise. There seems to be no way via eBay to intercede

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2016 12:56AM

My question to seller:

This coin appears as though it has been holed or damaged and repaired/re-engraved yet you don't mention it in your description. If it has not, please let me know so I can decide whether or not to bid. The area in question is 6:00 obverse on the date.

Thanks

Seller's reply:

I am currently looking into this claim. Until I can get a definite answer, I would bid with caution.

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a dawg of a seller........
    Still, a very neat coin. If I were offered it at the price it sold for at the 'FUN' auction, I would probably be 'in'.......

• Options

@earlycoins said:
    Beautiful coin. If sent for encapsulation could easily make AU 58 on the Grace L. Fergusson scale, and might come away with a super sticker.

In other words, chance of it being the same same?

No more than 100%.

People like this should be tarred, feathered, and ridden out of town on a rail.

What is "the Grace T. Fergusson scale?" That is a new one on me.

• Options
    CoinPhysicistCoinPhysicist Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2016 7:27PM

Wasn't this exact coin in that exact cardboard holder for sale on eBay a couple of months ago? Someone asked about it here I believe and someone mentioned buying it and taking it to the PCGS booth in Baltimore and if it failed to return it.

I believe it was the same coin. Same cardboard 2x2. Perhaps even the same eBay seller. I can't check now cause I have to go run. But if someone else has a good memory... I do believe that my memory is accurate here.

EDIT: So I can't find it currently. But I can swear that I saw this exact thing listed on eBay like a few months ago. It was either posted here or on Cointalk.com.

EDIT EDIT: sigh I still can't find it...

Successful transactions with: wondercoin, Tetromibi, PerryHall, PlatinumDuck, JohnMaben/Pegasus Coin & Jewelry, CoinFlip, and coinlieutenant.

• Options
    CoinPhysicistCoinPhysicist Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭

I FOUND IT

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/966247/was-this-1796-quarter-the-real-deal

This is the thread from July. The thread linked to an eBay listing that was removed. But read the comments... It's the same coin and same seller as you can see from the last post on July 15.

Successful transactions with: wondercoin, Tetromibi, PerryHall, PlatinumDuck, JohnMaben/Pegasus Coin & Jewelry, CoinFlip, and coinlieutenant.

• Options

Has anyone been watching the Gobrecht dollar? It's at $5,999 but when I checked earlier it was $6,002 with 10 bidders, someone must have canceled their bid and raised it to the current bidders max... hmm

• Options

A little over 3 hours to go and close to $15k! How high will she fly?

1796 Draped Bust Quater Dollar

• Options

Bid retractions in the last hours brought it under $14k for the lucky winner! :*

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file