Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Was this 1796 Quarter the real deal ????

TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
I saw this up for auction on EBay the other day as the seller had a few Trade $ also. Supposedly came from an inherited collection. It sold for north of $15,000 and I'm wondering if it is authentic. Kind of looks like the date may have been altered to me. 1796
Trade $'s

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,592 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a one year type, so there is nothing you can alter the date from. That said, I would not touch this piece with as 12 foot pole.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fake, not real....someone will be unhappy.

bobimage

1795 Dollar with 3 leaves is bad too.
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Bob1951Bob1951 Posts: 268 ✭✭
    Looks good from here, but in person examination is necessary.

Bob
  • Options
    privaterarecoincollectorprivaterarecoincollector Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    coin looks real to me but damaged / repaired.

All other coins of this collections seem to me cleaned and no grades too.

Would stay away from all of these.
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which one? I see dozen or more. these fake PCGS holders/coins are $#!#$^!$# F. the chinezze. Hey PCGS bring the hammer down on them Please!
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not graded is enough for me to walk.
  • Options
    BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭
    The "altered date" Looks to be repairing a plug
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

In a quick scan, his auctions look legit. He does not have anything newly graded. He obviously put all the coins in flips and self graded them, but with a 14 day return, a couple of those might have been worth a look.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BIGAL2749

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Listing removed.

peacockcoins

• Options

I can still see the listing. It sold but scroll down.
  • Options
    CoinPhysicistCoinPhysicist Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭
    There's a lot of red flags with this...

1796 quarter... on first glance looks nice... not graded by any grading company.

Looks like damage around the date that would give it a details grade.

Seller has not a lot of feedback to be selling a coin of this caliber.

Obviously a lot of people have qualms with it because a slabbed one that looked like that should be worth what like 5x that selling price? In my opinion, $15,000 for that coin is way too good to be true, and if something is too good to be true, it probably is.

Why are people saying it's fake? Genuinely curious. Because it's not slabbed?

Successful transactions with: wondercoin, Tetromibi, PerryHall, PlatinumDuck, JohnMaben/Pegasus Coin & Jewelry, CoinFlip, and coinlieutenant.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: totally
    There's a lot of red flags with this...

1796 quarter... on first glance looks nice... not graded by any grading company.
    Looks like damage around the date that would give it a details grade.
    Seller has not a lot of feedback to be selling a coin of this caliber.

Obviously a lot of people have qualms with it because a slabbed one that looked like that should be worth what like 5x that selling price? In my opinion, $15,000 for that coin is way too good to be true, and if something is too good to be true, it probably is.

Why are people saying it's fake? Genuinely curious. Because it's not slabbed?

All the basic characteristics of a 1796 Low 6 from the Tompkins book are present on this coin for the obverse and the reverse from what I can tell. The date is the real problem with the discoloration around the date and what appears to be die rust spots in the picture which are not present on any known coins for this date to my knowledge.

I also find it disturbing that the listing only allows you to click on the reverse photo for an enlarged picture and the zoom function is only on for the last two pictures which are far away and in the 2X2's. Why doesn't the listing allow you to zoom in or enlarge the obverse?

Another issue is any experienced seller would realize the increase in price if the coin were graded as genuine. I would question why this coin is not graded just because of that fact. Maybe they tried and didn't like the result but who really knows.

I guess eBay and PayPal protect the seller and it has a 14 day return policy. I guess the buyer could theoretically take the coin to Baltimore to get verbal opinions from some experts and still be within the return period.

• Options

If you took the coin to Baltimore, you could have it graded in 4 hours. To Heck with the verbal opinions.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: hchcoin

All the basic characteristics of a 1796 Low 6 from the Tompkins book are present on this coin for the obverse and the reverse from what I can tell. The date is the real problem with the discoloration around the date and what appears to be die rust spots in the picture which are not present on any known coins for this date to my knowledge.

I also find it disturbing that the listing only allows you to click on the reverse photo for an enlarged picture and the zoom function is only on for the last two pictures which are far away and in the 2X2's. Why doesn't the listing allow you to zoom in or enlarge the obverse?

Another issue is any experienced seller would realize the increase in price if the coin were graded as genuine. I would question why this coin is not graded just because of that fact. Maybe they tried and didn't like the result but who really knows.

I guess eBay and PayPal protect the seller and it has a 14 day return policy. I guess the buyer could theoretically take the coin to Baltimore to get verbal opinions from some experts and still be within the return period.

Yeah it does not look obviously fake to me. I didn't pull out my book to check every last detail (not home). But I couldn't find an obvious inherent flaw. It seemed to pass the basic eye test of likely real. I agree the date discoloration is weird and I haven't seen anything like it either, although in my youngish age I have probably not seen nearly all of them.

Yeah I was annoyed I couldn't zoom in either. And the fact it wasn't graded at all is a little weird on a coin like this in 2016 in my opinion.

Successful transactions with: wondercoin, Tetromibi, PerryHall, PlatinumDuck, JohnMaben/Pegasus Coin & Jewelry, CoinFlip, and coinlieutenant.

• Options
    Originally posted by: Wabbit2313

If you took the coin to Baltimore, you could have it graded in 4 hours. To Heck with the verbal opinions.

I would be hesitant to take the coin out of the 2X2 because it might cause the seller to void the return and make things messy (This is a common caveat on eBay for returns). Will the TPG's grade or verify authenticity in the 2X2 for a coin of this magnitude?
  • Options

I would be hesitant to take the coin out of the 2X2 because it might cause the seller to void the return and make things messy (This is a common caveat on eBay for returns). Will the TPG's grade or verify authenticity in the 2X2 for a coin of this magnitude?

Take a staple out of one side and put it back in the same holes, it is not a high security holder! image
  • Options

Take a staple out of one side and put it back in the same holes, it is not a high security holder! image

True image
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    It kind of looks like it was plugged to the right of the date?

If I would have seen it, I'd place a $500 bid but $15k is just nuts.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BIGAL2749

I agree....I think it's a repair - and a bad one.
    Also, I have no doubt the new owner will be not
    very happy with spending over $15K on this.

Send the coin to PCGS for their Genuine - Damaged
    Holder.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well it fooled me on the plug. Never seen it till it was brought up.

Why doesn't it show on the reverse?. Hid by the dark toning?
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My dealer friend had a raw high AU '96 quarter in his case at Summer FUN last week, on consignment for one of his clients.
    Other than a light old cleaning and some small adjustment marks on the rev, it looked Ok to me. This same fellow sold a nice
    raw better grade AMERI chain cent to one of the big copper guys the month before. So, there are still some decent raw coins about - but,
    it's a huge difference if you are an expert and can examine the coin in person, vs- something on eBay.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    Originally posted by: grip

Well it fooled me on the plug. Never seen it till it was brought up.

Why doesn't it show on the reverse?. Hid by the dark toning?

Part of me was wondering this same thing.

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like it has been bent.Pass.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't get too worked up or start crying for the winning bidder yet:

"Bid activity (%) with this seller: 82% "
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think 1796 is the Holy Grail of quarter collections. Anyone with even a passing interest in coin collecting would know this and spend the money to have it authenticated. As others have said, if even in a "Genuine" holder, it would fetch multiples of the hammer price...
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coin has definitely been plugged.
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    More likely real than not.

BUT....if I were offered it I'd have to make a low offer to not get burned. Very low.

Plugged/repaired/tooled and as a previous poster said, looks bent as well.

The superfecta of 1796 quarters!
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    Pass .... Too much trouble to deal with expensive problem coins image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You always have to ask the question, "Why isn't this coin certified?" especially these days when damaged, but genuine coins can get into "details" holders. This coin would probably bring more if it were certified. So why is the seller leaving money on the table?

I agree with the others. Holed and plugged and not well plugged with a layer of artificial toning. The trouble with holes in the date area is that the legitimate repair guys don't like to work on them, or at least that was the way it was years ago. If they did work on them, they made sure that the repair was obvious.

Here is a piece with similar sharpness with which you can compare the coin in question.

imageimage

This one is a PCGS certified VF-25.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

ended listings - fb

seems they sell lots of raw spensive coins.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file