Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1955 Franklin Proof that will take your breath away

I had purchased this coin in a 1955 proof set in the box quite a few months ago. I sold it to a fellow friend of mine in Colorado and he sent it in to PCGS. I'll let you guys say the rest... take a look at these pictures, from the seller photos to PCGS',

Comments

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually kinda nice. :)

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

that is a love it or hate it type of coin.

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    treybenedicttreybenedict Posts: 373 ✭✭✭

@boyernumismatics said:
    I had purchased this coin in a 1955 proof set in the box quite a few months ago. I sold it to a fellow friend of mine in Colorado and he sent it in to PCGS. I'll let you guys say the rest... take a look at these pictures, from the seller photos to PCGS',

Hey whats up sean!?

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's kinda cool.
    Doesn't make me drool, but it's nice.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the reverse.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a troll sneezed on it. Not my style.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

That one just doesn't do it for me.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭
    I'm not a fan of that coin, but the toning certainly is unique.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭

Not for me.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

as BillJones pointed out, that is in one of the newer polybags that the Mint used during some time in 1954 till some time in 1955, they tended to cause ugly, brown, hazy tone. this coin is no exception to that.

from MyLoftyPerch it looks to have environmental damage.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still have my breath.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ajaan said:
    I still have my breath.

As do I. That is just not my cup of tea and I love toned coins.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    Not for me, but definitely unique.
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't care for it. The toning reminds me of oil mixed with water spots.

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland...You know I looked..... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2016 4:40PM

Please ignore this post

I probably would have guesses AT.
    However I am responding only to the photos and I'll guess that coin was difficult to photograph.

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ugly!

• Options
    BodinBodin Posts: 997 ✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2016 10:39AM
    You guys are harsh!
    If u don't like it, you're not required to trash his opinion of the coin he bought and is proud of. ..... I don't know this poster. They only have 30 posts on here. What if it's a young numismatist?
    Just a thought.
    Happy Sunday
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's like a butterfly that could of been, But some nice coins all in all.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the obverse, how the portrait is sort of framed by the toning. I appreciate the reverse, too, full of surprises. It is interesting to see the toning imparted by the mint packaging; I was not familiar with this particular look.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PTVETTER said:
    that is a love it or hate it type of coin.

I would prefer a different example.
    bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

@Bodin said:
    You guys are harsh!
    If u don't like it, you're not required to trash his opinion of the coin he bought and is proud of. ..... I don't know this poster. They only have 30 posts on here. What if it's a young numismatist?
    Just a thought.
    Happy Sunday

Is it better to tell him it's wonderful and encourage him to buy more of the same thing until he tries to sell and discovers he's made the same mistake repeatedly? There is a line between education and harshness, but more often than not it's better to know the truth.

When I was a YN I got nailed a few times. It's one way to learn. It's a lot cheaper if you have mentor tell you, than buy it and end up losing money. Losing money is REALLY discouraging and can drive you from the hobby.

This.
    It is better to get your numismatic education on less expensive coins than take a big hit later.

And for the record, the coins doesn't do much for me.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    BodinBodin Posts: 997 ✭✭✭

@Cameonut said:

@BillJones said:

@Bodin said:
    You guys are harsh!
    Just a thought.
    Happy Sunday

Is it better to tell him it's wonderful and encourage him to buy more of the same thing until he tries to sell and discovers he's made the same mistake repeatedly? There is a line between education and harshness, but more often than not it's better to know the truth.

When I was a YN I got nailed a few times. It's one way to learn. It's a lot cheaper if you have mentor tell you, than buy it and end up losing money. Losing money is REALLY discouraging and can drive you from the hobby.

This.
    It is better to get your numismatic education on less expensive coins than take a big hit later.

And for the record, the coins doesn't do much for me.

Knowledge is fantastic.
    I totally agree that you should share your thoughts on the coin.
    However I do think after the 8th poster in a row has said "YUCK", I think that the OP would get the message. Seems like some think its fun to run up the scoreboard on negative comments.
    It's a new forum member.
    I think I also have a difference in opinion on what numismatic education is.
    Maybe tell the OP WHY you don't like it? Educate them. "Why would you buy that?", "bleck", "Get your eyes checked", etc......
    that only teaches a new poster not to speak up in the future.
    Ricko's posts are the best - "I don't like tarnish - Cheers, Ricko".

Also, if you have a problem with this reply. PM me.
    There's really no reason to keep on posting about etiquette here in this thread.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2016 8:26PM

I'd buy this one long before a typical looking one in the same grade. Obverse I'd call above average eye appeal and reverse neutral to slightly positive. Overall I'm fine with it....and in the minority.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope. Not a Frankie fan and even less so of that toning.

Cheers

Bob

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will agree with what I think the intent was. Before to after images are certainly opposite ends of the universe. I don't mind the coin and if I bought it looking like the before image and the after image coin showed up, I would be happy.

• Options
    boyernumismaticsboyernumismatics Posts: 473 ✭✭✭✭

If I had enough time, or cared enough, to respond to all of your negativity, I would. However, this will be my response:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and just because people behind keyboards and touch screens who all have the same previous opinion come together to blast a new poster for their opinion does not make any of our opinions correct. Obviously, I nearly solely disagree with all of you here, who hate (extra emphasis on the hate) any type of radical toning, different toning, or even anything that isn't a light gold tone around the rim of a Morgan dollar.

We all have different opinions. None of you like this coin, however, I honestly don't care (and never have). This coin had no issue selling alone for nearly twice what I paid for the entire set. With that being said, to the those who said that I need to "get the point" and "open my eyes" that nobody likes this coin, can take their negativity and place it elsewhere.

A rookie "mistake?" Give me a break. There are a multitude of people who appreciate toning and pay the price accordingly. People pay exponentially more for eye appealing, colorful, unique coins than bland, "BLAST WHITE BEAUTIES" that you can go to quite literally any coin shop on the planet and buy. This is a niche market. As one commenter here said, if you don't like it, nobody said you have to respond.

"Numismatic Education?" Maybe I can educate you all in the art of the unique color on coins. Would any of you like that? Probably not. As another commenter said, do you all not think after the 8th "YUCK!" In a row, don't you think that's enough? Instead of just continuing the negativity, at least have a rationale other than "not my thing." But then again, I don't care. Most of you here think it's funny to run up the sheet with the consensus of comments. That's fine. I'm a firm believer in the 1st Amendment. Say what you want. Go ahead. I'll continue to say what I want and continue to post toned coins (and receive your hate of the aforementioned).

We all have an equal right to an opinion in this world. The line comes when we have to ask ourself "when is enough, enough?" Maybe some of you need to reflect on that.

Have a wonderful day.

• Options

@BillJones said:

@Bodin said:
    You guys are harsh!
    Just a thought.
    Happy Sunday

Lose money? Haha! That's a horribly misinformed assumption there, my friend.

• Options

@ChinaSilverandGoldCoins said:

@boyernumismatics said:

Hey whats up sean!?

Not much man, just watching all of these people exert their opinions saying I should stay away from coins like this and not double my money and such.

• Options

@Wabbit2313 said:
    I will agree with what I think the intent was. Before to after images are certainly opposite ends of the universe. I don't mind the coin and if I bought it looking like the before image and the after image coin showed up, I would be happy.

Thank you! I was blown away when it arrived In the mail

• Options
    panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like toned coins but for some reason I prefer toning on business strikes to toning on proofs. Not enthusiastic on proofs in general. That having been said, I appreciate this toning and can easily see a segment of proof collectors paying strong money for it.

• Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

I still have my breath

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please disregard my post and I will try not to give an opinion the next time you post a coin.

LCoopie = Les
  • Options

@lcoopie said:
    Please disregard my post and I will try not to give an opinion the next time you post a coin.

You said nothing conflicting nor biased. You weren't just a "YUCK!" You actually had an educated post.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got here late. And I actually like the coin...especially the obverse. I found out yesterday how brutally honest the members here are when you post a coin and ask for opinions. I'm glad it worked out and I think it is much prettier than a blast white generic Franklin. But that is just me.

As Ricko would say.....Cheers!

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some will like your coins some will not but need a little bit of think skin around here, when you ask on a open forum if some one likes a coin or not get ready you may not like what you get. We all have different taste in coins and other things in life that is why there is 31 flavors in a ice cream store and they do well with all of them some better then others. Keep posting and just have fun there your coins and you must of like it you bought it and that is all that maters. Hey you made $$$$ that's a +. ;)

Hoard the keys.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file