Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What was your favorite coin when you were young and looking at a Red Book?

Mine was a 1804 restrike cent. They had a small section set off that explained what it was, who made it, and why. Took a long time but I got one and it is my favorite coin. What was your favorite coin as a baby numismatist?

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
rainbowroosie April 1, 2003

Comments

• Options
    bkzoopapabkzoopapa Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

Mine was a Fugio Cent I couldn't wait until I was able to afford one. Also the 1848 "CAL." $2.50 intrigued me as I felt it was the first American Commemorative coin.

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was pretty amazed with the 1804 dollars.
    I was also curious about the 1873-S seated silver dollars and wishing a rich aunt had them all and would leave me one.

Alas, I had no rich aunt, and even if I did, she didn't have one of the dollars.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

1796 quarter, every redbook I ever had, the binding was creased there and the books opened naturally at that page.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always liked looking at and reading about the Chain Cents as I collected Indian and Lincoln Cents mostly. Had a few Large Cents too, but that was the first of all of the cents so it was cool!

Also liked looking at the 1907 Ultra High Relief St. Gaudens Double Eagle... pretty!!

:+1:

• Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine was the 1913 Liberty nickel. I always wanted one and really enjoyed whenever it was on the original Hawaii 5-0

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

1804 dollar, especially the explanation about the 2 different reverses (O over cloud, vs. O between clouds).
    After that would be the Stella.

• Options
    RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

1915 $50 gold Pan-Pac octagonal gazing out from my first Red Book in 1988.

GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.
  • Options
    PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    Franklins because they were older than I was and most were in my price range.
  • Options
    FHCFHC Posts: 323 ✭✭✭

I would have to agree with MICHAELDIXON. The 1913 Liberty Head nickel always amazed me how only 5 were minted. Plus the liberty head nickel got me started collecting.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

1794 Flowing Hair Dollar.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2016 5:11PM

The Gloucester CourthouseToken, without a doubt..

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The same as it is today. A 1794 Flowing hair silver dollar in ms condition. That's not asking for much :)
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had two coins I dreamed over and they were the bar copper and the '09svdb. I swore I would find one in circulation and thus to this day, I do not own either.
    bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2016 5:22PM

When I was young I spent most of my time looking at girls.

But, I didn't know then what a Red Book was. However, I mostly enjoyed pulling Buffalo's and Mercury Dimes out of circulation and placing in my books. Today, I'm hung-up on Roosies.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2016 1:35PM

1909-S VDB Lincoln

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

1894 S Dime

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Draped bust half dollars. I was always thought that was the best design ever in coins.
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1714 Gloucester Token

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MICHAELDIXON said:
    Mine was the 1913 Liberty nickel. I always wanted one and really enjoyed whenever it was on the original Hawaii 5-0

That's been a favorite for most of my life. As a kid though, I think I was quite intrigued by California gold stuff.

• Options

1794 Dollar, priced in my 1959 Redbook at $10,000 in Unc.

Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was definitely drawn to the Fugio.

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    RarityRarity Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭✭

Morgan Silver Dollar

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know the exact reason why, but it was the 1927-S SLQ.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

1917 S Obv and 1921-S Walking Liberty Halves.

Also the early proof gold---those frosted devices and black mirrors were mesmerizing.

And, finally, the Draped Bust Dollars.....I liked reading about the great, heralded 1804 dollar.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first coin I kept as a collector was a 1910 wheat cent. I was roughly 8 years old and at that time 1910 may as well have been 5 centuries ago. Never looked at or heard of the red book at that time.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Funny, I don't recall ever seeing a redbook as a kid.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

There were two coins for me. First was a 1794 Large Cent. Years later I determined that it was the S-28, 29 obverse pictured in the Redbook, Maris's "Ornate" variety. The second coin was the 1795 Ten, the Eagle. The design seemed so antiquated, it really caught my attention.

TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options

I don't remember being fascinated by any particular coin until meeting a gentleman that ran a trading post. In a visit to his store he pulled out a high relief Saint. As soon as I got to hold it, it became my favorite coin. As well as I remember at that time it was worth about $1000. - $1500. Have never owned one and at my age will never acquire one. I still enjoy looking at them any time I go to a show.

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still pause at the Willow, Oak & Pine Tree coinage.
    Also the Strawberry and Starred Reverse Large Cents.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got a Redbook for Christmas when I was the seventh grade.
    If memory serves I believe G.W. was in his second term. Hmmmmmm?
    Anyway, I recall being fascinated by the gold. All of it.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was looking at Lincolns, in books and otherwise, because they filled my albums circa 1973.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1877 Indian Cent. When I was high school that was the coin I really needed to complete a set. I got over that in the early 1970s.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    LRCTomLRCTom Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

The Gobrecht dollar without stars. Definitely.

LRC Numismatics eBay listings:
    http://stores.ebay.com/lrcnumismatics

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

1849 $20

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to dream of owning a $5 Indian.
    I thought that was the coolest coin.
    Saved up money from my paper route and bought one in 1975.
    I still have it, although now it's not in a 2x2 and in a slab.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mercury Dimes,1955/1955 cent, and oh yeah, the centerfold. ;)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great example of early gold!
    Love it.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Gold one that looks like a stop sign. :wink:

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2016 11:45PM

When I was a child I never heard of the Red Book, but I remember being fascinated by the Indian Head pennies that my dad had in his "collection." As I grew older I was intrigued by the 3 legged Buffalo Nickel, but still knew nothing about a Red Book.

• Options
    Bob1951Bob1951 Posts: 268 ✭✭

Three and four dollar gold coins. I may never get a Stella and I still do not have a 3 dollar gold coin. After 58 years of collecting it is still in my future. Hopefully not to much longer in the future.

• Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

In the 60's it was the 1916-D dime. I wanted to find one in circulation. I found a 1916 dime in my dads change fish that was PO-1 at best and stared at it long enough that I convinced myself it was a D. I cut out the plug in the Whitman holder, placed it there and it is still there.

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember the page for the 1804 cent restrike so it must have had a similar effect.

I also remember being fascinated by the early capped bust gold coins, and the consideration that some gold coins were more valuable than cars and houses (I used to think that all gold coins are super expensive and rare). My grandmother, who collected coins, recalled receiving quarter or half eagle as a birthday gift, but never saved them because they were just too valuable to pull from circulation.
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is a Red Book? ;) Seriously though, branch mint gold always had my dreams. Still do, and I am lucky enough now to afford to own several. For example, see below.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably the Chain Cent. Still would love to own one, :)

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Early gold, heck, probably most anything with a "17" handle, and gobrecht dollars.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

the liberty $20 gold pieces ( although i could not afford them at theat time)

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pine tree. And still don't have one:(

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always the Bar Cent.

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file