Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Collection update - added some new pieces to my collecting pursuits - Mantle's, Topps boxes...

KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been able to add a few pieces to my collecting pursuits, and below are some photos and updates of the new additions.

Topps baseball display box run - been working on a run of boxes from my birth year (1968) through my first year of little league (1976) where I grabbed packs every weekend at the local 7-11 along with my two brothers. With 3 boys in the same age range collecting we had quite a few cards from when we started 1973/1974 through thr early 80's. Still need a regular 1975 and a 1972, but knocked out the white whale of the group - a 1971 box with no writing, tears, holes... Box shows normal light wear but overall is very clean.

1975 Topps rack packs :) This is one I have tried to pick up for a long time, and the rack with Bench and Palmer showing I have had since last year. The second rack I had never seen or heard of before, but was offered it a little while back and very fortunate to pick one up. Hard to tell from the photos but the bottom rack is a 1975 Topps mini rack pack. Pack is clean with no tears and rips and is in beautiful shape.

Left cell is from the mini rack, and right cell is from the 1975 regular rack.

Topps Mantle run - added a couple of cards to my Topps run the last few weeks, and one is an upgrade and the second is a new one. First card is an upgrade to my 1956 Mantle, and I have owned probably 5-6 high grade 1956 Mantle cards, and thought this one looked pretty good. When I got it in hand I was shocked that it was nicer than I expected - how often does that happen in collecting? Hard to describe how nice it is, and looks as nice as the 8.5 i owned last year.

Next card was one I did not have in my run and a pretty easy one to find. This one was a great example for the grade and would not look out of place in a higher holder.

Main cards I need now are an upgrade to my 1957 Mantle in an 8/8.5 that is centered and a clean 1962 in an 8. If anyone has any photos of 1957 Mantle cards that are centered would love to see them. Thank you for looking.

KC

Comments

• Options

Very impressive!

• Options

Thank you. Forgot one I just got in from a fellow board member (Donato) - excellent transaction all around.

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

Awesome assortment to add to your PC. Congrats.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

Doug - thank you for the note. 15 year Anniversary is in about 10 days - need to figure out what the wife is going to get from me. Hope she likes Mantle cards :D

• Options
    bcubsbcubs Posts: 344 ✭✭✭
    Awesome stuff. Great pickups.

Appreciate today-

Bill

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Keith,

You have an awesome collection, and I'm glad I could help out a fellow collector.

I really love the Topps boxes and they will make a great display.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love those 75 racks and the 75 mini Ryan, and great looking Mantle cards!
    I don't know about mini's, but the 75 regular size Ryan is really tough to find nicely centered.

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

that mini rack is great. i have wanted one of those for a few years already

• Options
    edited January 6, 2017 3:18PM

Broke in the new year with a new pickup to add to my Mantle run. This one has turned out to be the toughest pickup to date, and anyone that has collected 1957 Topps can tell you finding this card even close to centered is a bear. L/r centering is as good as I have seen and no tilt, and if t/b was better by just a hair it would be a card that I don't think would have been sold.

Just need to update the 1958 to a PSA 8/8.5 and the 50's portion of the run will be done.

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

Some nice items!! Love the 69 wax box!! A favorite of mine!!

• Options
    thesouthdoesitagainthesouthdoesitagain Posts: 297 ✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2017 4:02PM

Hey KC. check out MemoryLane. They got a 57 that is a PSA 9. They also have a 58 that is sgc96/9 (highest graded), in which you could crossover. Also has some other High-end Mantle for bumping if need be.
    http://memorylaneinc.com/site/lots/gallery?search=mantle&searchin=titledescription
    God Luck with the Micks..I done a huge set run and re-adjusted my collecting goals and only kept the 51/52 RCs.

Collecting RC's (mostly 40-60's)
  • Options

@Stingray said:
    Some nice items!! Love the 69 wax box!! A favorite of mine!!

Glad you like it. I actually have doubles of some boxes that I might be moving in the next few weeks - picked several up in pairs originally.

• Options

@thesouthdoesitagain said:
    Hey KC. check out MemoryLane. They got a 57 that is a PSA 9. They also have a 58 that is sgc96/9 (highest graded), in which you could crossover. Also has some other High-end Mantle for bumping if need be.
    http://memorylaneinc.com/site/lots/gallery?search=mantle&searchin=titledescription
    God Luck with the Micks..I done a huge set run and re-adjusted my collecting goals and only kept the 51/52 RCs.

Thank you for the heads up, and I did check out MLI a few weeks ago. The 57 and 58 are nice, and the 57 PSA 9 is a prime example of what I was discussing with how hard it is to find this card centered and with no tilt. Look at the PSA 9 in MLI and centering is ok and both the 57 and 58 have a tilt to them.

When you changed your goals from Mantle run to just the 51 and 52 what were your reasons? Cost? Other pursuits?

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

KC...Beautiful '57 Mantle. Now...my '57 is safe! ; )

I also am looking for a 58 Mantle. I wish I would have gone after the PWCC 58 high end PSA-8 late last year. It bumped to an 8.5. I will probably settle for a 7.5...and put the $$$ saved into a Clemente RC.

mint_only_pls
  • Options

Monte - thank you for the note. Am I correct in that you have an 8.5 Mantle from 1957? Need to bring that bad boy on here for another look if so - I am sure we could make a deal :D That is a beautiful card. Plus you had a Ryan rookie bump to an 8.5 correct? You are becoming the PSA 8.5 king!

• Options

Still holding the 8.5 '57 Mantle. I feel your 8 is a strong example...and when you're talking 1/2 point difference...that it is very subtle in the two cards. If I ever buy an Epson 600 printer...I will post it.

Yes...I had an 8 Ryan RC HE bump to an 8.5. My other outstanding bump was a Reggie RC 8.5 to a 9 from Jeff at Card Country.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2017 7:43AM

Monte - i found your 8.5 here?

Awesome on the Reggie bump. Jeff always has amazing inventory and well worth every penny. Never seem someone with so much good stuff, and he was a big part in getting me back into the hobby.

• Options

KC...that is not mine. Mine is serial # 09079594...centered 52/48 side to side and 53/47 top to bottom w/o a tilt. I measured it with a 100ths scale when I catalogued my collection in 2016.

mint_only_pls
  • Options

@KendallCat said:

@thesouthdoesitagain said:

Thank you for the heads up, and I did check out MLI a few weeks ago. The 57 and 58 are nice, and the 57 PSA 9 is a prime example of what I was discussing with how hard it is to find this card centered and with no tilt. Look at the PSA 9 in MLI and centering is ok and both the 57 and 58 have a tilt to them.

When you changed your goals from Mantle run to just the 51 and 52 what were your reasons? Cost? Other pursuits?

@KC : I went astray and added the oddball items. I picked up some really hard to find items along the ways. Cost was somewhat on those pieces, if looking the the Mask/Plaque and the Yamakatsu. Which I had opportunites to get. I just felt I was going in the wrong direction. My bud on Net54 (Bestdj77) SHOUT OUT!! Is a Massive Mantle Hoarder. You should see his collection. I sold him a few pieces he didn't have. But after the 51 & 52..i felt I was complete and liquidated to focus on just RC's hofer. I wanted to collect other guys I loved to have, in long terms cost money. Now that I have about acquired most I want..i am streaking to some pre-war cards as well. I don't regret it, it was a fun ride to see all those Mantles. I recently looked at my Photbucket and realized all I had and looking back I wouldn't change it a bit.

Collecting RC's (mostly 40-60's)
  • Options

KC...that is it. The blemishes on the top of the card are not there...but due to Heritage scanner.

mint_only_pls
  • Options

KC...Is your '59 Mantle a PSA-7? Would you take a look at Triple SSS '58 Mantle PSA-7.5 (triplesssinc.com) and let me know what you think? Strong or weak 7.5? Does it appear tilted to you?

mint_only_pls
  • Options

Yes my Mantle from 1959 is a PSA 7. Thought about getting an 8, but this PSA 7 is extremely strong and did not see the need to spend $3-4K more just for a grade. I will take a look at the SSS card and let you know.

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1958 Mantle that SSS has looks to be a pretty strong 7.5. The front centering is great. The back, not good. One thing that would concern me is that SSS supposedly sold that same card on 9/24/16. I have bought a few cards from SSS and have never had any problems. Their prices are usually on the high side. A couple weeks ago I sent them a message through eBay about the price on a card. They dropped the price and I bought it.
    James

• Options

James...i noticed too that this card apparently was sold....and that it recently reappeared. Maybe the buyer sold it back to SSS...needing the money for another purchase. Monday...I will ask why the card is for sale again. Monte

mint_only_pls
  • Options

My two cents on the 58 would be to wait for an 8 and pay a hair more for it - $5k range. Outside of the one from REA that went for $9k it seems that you can score a nice one in the $5000-5500 range in a PSA 8.

• Options

KC...thx for the input. What don't you like about this card? Price for the grade? Centering? Corners?

mint_only_pls
  • Options

Card looks good and my thing is if I get a PSA 6/7/7.5 versus an 8 I want to get it at pretty strong drop in price compared to the 8. For the $3500 you an almost get an 8 price wise. Now if you are wanting a 1958 Mantle for a run and need a nice one and $3500 is a good price than go for it. Also, like it has been stated a recent purchase when prices were higher back in September and now selling so soon would be a possible red flag.

KC

• Options
    sinoth23sinoth23 Posts: 152 ✭✭

Interested in hearing what they said. Thanks

@mintonlypls said:
    James...i noticed too that this card apparently was sold....and that it recently reappeared. Maybe the buyer sold it back to SSS...needing the money for another purchase. Monday...I will ask why the card is for sale again. Monte

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Re: that 1958 Mantle 7.5, while the technical grade looks accurate and the registration/image clarity is outstanding, it is worth hanging a lantern on the PD in a few areas, namely under the M in Mantle (one right under it, and another farther down), then there is a more prominent PD in the lower left area of the card, in the orange, and lastly a rather large PD between the L and E in Mantle on top. Dead centering might mitigate these few flaws, yet when factored in with the noticeable left-right centering and the premium price, just me, though I would pass.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options

Grabbed a few cards from the bank today, and took some updated photos of the updated run of Mantle cards from the 50's. One Mantle to go in PSA 8 (58 Mantle) to finish the 50's run. Might start an Aaron run in all PSA 8 or higher soon. I have 4 years until the little guy needs a car, so he gets mine and I might buy something with a big engine ;) Wife told me not to sell anything yet!

Hope you enjoy.

Full run

Big 4

Future trade bait - extras

KC

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

Keith ... nothing short of AMAZING!!!!! Enjoy those cards.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

KC...those are stunning cards! Congrats on your run...and hope you complete it.

The only negative on an Aaron run is that the '54...'55...and '56 all have the same central image. The same is true of Willie Mays: '54...'55...and '56 are all the same. Topps may have done the same w/Mick if he had '54 and '55 cards.

Question? Are the main images of Mick...Mays and Aaron on their '54...'55...and '56 cards...an illustration or photograph?

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    KC...those are stunning cards! Congrats on your run...and hope you complete it.

The only negative on an Aaron run is that the '54...'55...and '56 all have the same central image. The same is true of Willie Mays: '54...'55...and '56 are all the same. Topps may have done the same w/Mick if he had '54 and '55 cards.

Question? Are the main images of Mick...Mays and Aaron on their '54...'55...and '56 cards...an illustration or photograph?

Basically they're colorized photos, using the technology of the time. :smile:

• Options

Doug/Monte - thanks for the nice comments. Been fun doing the run, but also a challenge when everyone else on the planet who collects cards is going for the same cards. Not going to steal too many bargains on Mantle cards. 58 Mantle is a slightly difficult card to find centered but nowhere near as tough as 1957. That card is almost impossible to find centered and without a tilt - took me a long time to find. Got lucky on the 53 Mantle about a year/year and a half ago finding one centered along with a solid bottom red corner. Only seen a few over the years and those are now $45-60k cards.

Will look for a few more centered 56 Mantles which is my favorite year plus maybe look at some 60's versions - 65, 66... Not real excited about chasing 1961, 1963, 1967, 1969. Although there is a monster of an 8.5 from 1961 on eBay right now.

• Options
    sinoth23sinoth23 Posts: 152 ✭✭

Nice spread...very impressive. Interested in the 59 if you upgrade.

• Options

@sinoth23 said:
    Nice spread...very impressive. Interested in the 59 if you upgrade.

You have a very good eye. The 59 Mantle I picked up is one of my favorites in the current run and the main reason I have not grabbed an 8 yet. The PSA 7 presents like an 8 or higher which is why I have not grabbed an 8. Here are some better scans of a few of my favorites so you can see them better.

1953 - probably my favorite pickup of all of them.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a great 7. The '60 should be in an 8.5 holder. Really presents well.

• Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

KC, with as high end as the cards are that you pick up for the grade, do you ever have them reviewed for bumps and what have your results been?

• Options
    edited January 21, 2017 9:10PM

@Arsenal83 said:
    KC, with as high end as the cards are that you pick up for the grade, do you ever have them reviewed for bumps and what have your results been?

I have only submitted a couple of cards for bumps over the last couple of years. I showed them to a couple of collectors/dealers and they agreed I should submit them and both came back the same grade and did not bump - a sweet 56 Mays PSA 8 and a 66 Mantle PSA 8. Only card I have had luck with was a 56 Mantle which bumped a 1/2 grade.

• Options
    edited January 21, 2017 9:20PM

BTW I have a few cards that I am taking to Chicago this summer and I am hoping to try and get a bump - the 1960 Mantle, a Mantle rookie, and a 1956 Mantle PSA 8 PWCC HE card. Fingers crossed...

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow great '66 Mantle too. At least from the front cannot imagine why it did not get the half grade bump.

• Options

Brad - not sure either but I am sure I am not the first person who has ever submitted cards and received a grade they did not agree with :)

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some great Mantles!! I REALLY like the 53' - it looks much nicer than a 5, at least to me.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great Mantle collection. Love the 52, very nice for the grade.
    Nice 75 rack packs also!

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

KC,

That is an awesome Mantle collection you have. Most look high end to me with great centering. :+1::+1:

Good luck with the bump attempts in Chicago.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful Mantle collection, man.

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options

Thank you for the nice comments guys. Have been working on a high end Mantle run in PSA 8 and above - except for the 52 and 53 where I will stand pat. His rookie is hard to find with decent centering, and I was lucky to find a decent one with good centering and eye appeal that won't cost a house ;) The 53 I used to own an 8, and this one is as close as I have seen to that one without Thor price - solid red corner and decent centering are difficult to find in this issue.

I have also been working on some lower graded centered examples and will post them over the weekend. Thanks again.

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

great stuff!!!

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    edited February 13, 2017 10:27AM

Added another card to the Mantle run last week, and funny thing is I don't know if I will try to complete the run in PSA 8. Not that I don't like the chase, but I have found some cards in lower grades with the eye appeal of an 8 so I might move my 8's as I replace them with the lower grades that are centered with eye appeal - 59, 60, and possibly my 1957.

Here is the latest acquisition for my Mantle lineup that I bought last week.

KC

And a few centered lower grades...