Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

RARE! 1936-D Cent on dime planchet!

cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Made you look!

A dealer friend of mine was cleaning out the back room of his shop and found a couple of boxes of 2X2's containing 'error' and variety coins. He asked me to go through them and see if there was anything worthwhile. I did find some good varieties, but the errors were not so good. Whomever saved these thought anything unusual was an error worth saving, and saved about 50 similar coins. I thought it might be fun post a few of the better ones- not trying to mock anyone for lack of knowledge, but those of you who are dealers buying collections have probably run into this stuff many times:

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes indeed. At shows since I dabble in varieties people are always trotting over with stuff like this.
    One elderly gentleman had hundreds and hundreds of Lincoln "errors" in 2x2s with extensive notes, etc.
    Most were minor die cracks, cracked skulls, machine doubling, PMD crap, etc.
    After I looked through two or three I knew what the rest of them would be, and he wanted me to look at every one!
    I can't recall a member of the non-collecting public that ever brought me an "error" that had any actual value.
    But still, they usually walk away thinking that I was somehow trying to chisel them.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first, and the last two, coins pictured
    are damaged, and aren't mint error coins.

The '36 cent is simply acid treated.

The cent with the slanted digit is damage from a counting/rolling machine.

The dime has gone out on a date with a hammer.

Sorry......

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... I guess coin dealers can go through some difficult times..... I know when acquaintances have brought me either 'strange' coins or 'rare' coins.... even telling them gently and with diplomacy... that they are either damaged or common... results in skepticism and sometimes anger. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see this stuff a lot.

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

What cracks me up about the first one is that if it was on a dime planchet, it would be silver...

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file