Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was just referencing the information included on the insert included with the specimen that twobitcollector posted the photograph of.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know either but I saw this and thought it might explain it.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Texast said:

@Akbeez said:
    Where's the PICS Lindy??

For all of us still waiting please post some pics of these new arrivals...😶

Yes!!!!! :p:p:p

• Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 983 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry all, I am clueless when it comes to posting images. I got a cell phone camera, an old apple 6 plus, but no image hosting service

On further examination Matte finish looks prestrike, not sand blasted after strike. The COAs are identical. Maybe its the die breaking in.

You all are maybe a day away from getting your goodies, you'll see, well if you bought two or more 64D Die 9 Peace

@LindyS said:
    Wow The PEACE have landed.

Hmmm, Seems there may be two finishes for 64D Die 9.

I see Brilliant and Matte like.

AWESOME !!!!!!!!

I fantasized back in 2012-14 about ordering Carr's first issued 64D Peace $ fantasies when I got mine in aftermarket. Their issue and entire production slipped completely under my radar...

Now... WISH Granted !

And better yet, maybe these are struck or released in two distinct BU versions ?

VERY COOL !!!!

Number Nine, #9, hold that line, hold that line, number 9, #9 ...

I need to go listen to the The White Album

Lindy

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2020 12:51PM

Sorry all, I am clueless when it comes to posting images. I got a cell phone camera, an old apple 6 plus, but no image hosting service

Take a photo with your phone. E-mail it to your computer,,,,,,,, save it to your desktop then select attach a photo,,,,,, the last icon when creating a posting,,,,,, looks like a mountain and a moon, attach it and you have the photo in your post.

GrandAm :)
  • Options

Image wont post "until it is approved" at this site.

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice job for your first photo post! Is the lower left coin different than the others or is it just the lighting? For comparisons, you will want the exact same lighting to see the differences. Usually requires a single pics close-up.
    Happy Shooting! :)

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2020 3:01PM

Custom display created & assembled years ago by someone else. I am 3rd owner.

My blurry 5 piece 64D Peace die and die state display & a spare 64D Die 6 ultra cameo proof-like.

• Options

Thanks, Yes bottom left is brilliant on obv & rev. Other 3 are matte like or satin on both sides.

@Akbeez said:
    Nice job for your first photo post! Is the lower left coin different than the others or is it just the lighting? For comparisons, you will want the exact same lighting to see the differences. Usually requires a single pics close-up.
    Happy Shooting! :)

• Options

@LindyS said:

Is that the Peace set that was for sale on the BST last fall? Quite the temptation. As I recall, there were a very limited number of custom sets assembled by Dan of this series. Might be a good candidate for another larger set album for the earlier and later 64-D Peace's. Hmmmm....

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2020 4:35AM

Likely not this set.

I closed this offer off what I call the-flea-bay some 3+ years ago. I was told by #2 owner that this Original display's creator, who was Original owner #1, supposedly made a total of 3 of these custom fantasy $ displays detailing 64D $ dies and die states.

BUT

Now I see below there was at least 10 or more $100 displays manufactured.
    Very Good to know !

Lindy

@Akbeez said:

@LindyS said:

Is that the Peace set that was for sale on the BST last fall? Quite the temptation. As I recall, there were a very limited number of custom sets assembled by Dan of this series. Might be a good candidate for another larger set album for the earlier and later 64-D Peace's. Hmmmm....

• Options

Maybe @dcarr can shed some history on original 64-d Peace sets (Capital holders)?

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

There were about 10 or so of those capitol type holders made. They were custom made by a private company for around $100 each.

http://www.robecsimages.com/photos/Home2/carr/OS/1964dCarrMultiPk_Sm.jpg

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

IIRC, it was tmot99 who made capitol-like holders for DC's Peace Dollars. I inquired about one back in 2013...

• Options

@renman95 said:
    IIRC, it was tmot99 who made capitol-like holders for DC's Peace Dollars. I inquired about one back in 2013...

I’m sure you are correct. I lost the emails that contained the info about how much we paid and who the money was sent to. I thought I remembered it being a company name.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome set, I've always admired the Matte Proof. For some dumb reason I missed the boat on all of those.... :'(

• Options

@Bullsitter said:
    Awesome set, I've always admired the Matte Proof. For some dumb reason I missed the boat on all of those.... :'(

There are 7 layers of thin acrylic sheets that make the tokens appear to be floating.

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:

Lots of us missed the boat on the 1964-D Peace Dollars... that's one of the reason they went up so much in the aftermarket... but it looks like the boat came back to port and there is another chance to get on board...

• Options
    edited February 24, 2020 1:16PM

Thanks @robec & @dcarr for clearing up the set info. I looked back and it was @Lakesammman who sold the set last year.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1024273/danial-carr-gold-5-peace-dollars-in-custom-holder-sold-carr-oregon-exchange-10-no-tax

7 layers of acrylic? Is that common in these types of sets?? Cool stuff.

• Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2020 5:09PM

After all that waiting, THE PACKAGE HAS ARRIVED !!

More pictures later...Gotta love the 64-D Die Pair 9 ...it was worth the wait....
    Thanks Dan ! 😁😀😎

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options

@Akbeez said:

7 layers of acrylic? Is that common in these types of sets?? Cool stuff.

Probably a little unusual. Here is a side view showing the layers. You can sort of see the Peace dollars floating in the middle.

• Options
    darth_morgandarth_morgan Posts: 190 ✭✭✭✭

Behold, the 1931-S bulk-handled Peace Dollar.......

Description for this issue (only 8 pieces) from @dcarr - "All have a tiny die chip (raised mole) on the obverse near the mouth. Some faint circular lathe marks show on the obverse and reverse near the rims. The letters “LUR” of PLURIBUS are thin due to excessive lapping of the die. The excess lapping also caused some sun rays below DOLLAR to fade out in places."

My Eisenhower Dollar Complete Variety Set, Circulation Strikes and Proof (PCGS Registry):
    https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/dollars/eisenhower-dollars-specialty-sets/eisenhower-dollars-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-proof-1971-1978/publishedset/119137

Darth Morgan - "The Other Ike Dollars" Showcase: https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/showcase/3354

The Eisenhower Dollar Meeting Room: https://www.facebook.com/groups/933585237044733

• Options

Whoa -- that's not just Bulk Handled -- it's a Circulated finish. Did you order that intentionally? :o

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the chain tokens are toast.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep - sold 1 of the 2 I had on the BST - sorry to see it go but I only needed 1.

Don't recall the maker of the holder - with the change in the PM function on PCGS, it would take a year to find the old PM's and the details!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2020 8:58PM

I thought Tom Hoffman / @tmot99 had made the holders?

• Options

@Zoins said:
    I thought Tom Hoffman / @tmot99 had made the holders?

It may have been. I wish I could remember or had the emails. Whoever made them did a great job.

• Options
    edited February 25, 2020 10:01AM

I see a die crack on reverse right of OF down to between Eagle's talons.

A Very Cool Bonus for you !!!

Well if my reverse die crack observation is correct ?

Lindy

Die crack not noted on production blog:
    "Die Pair 05
    “1985”

(so far)

$90

First produced on contract in March 2019.
    Walking Liberty obverse and Eagle reverse from the Walking Liberty Half Dollar
    by Adolph Weinman. Over-struck on US Mint Silver Eagle Dollars.
    Two were over-struck (one double) in a smooth-edge collar."

@Texast said:
    Some more that came in the mail yesterday... gotta love the work Dan does.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LindyS said:

Lindy

"Die Pair 05
    “1985”

(so far)

$90

@Texast said:

Not a crack in the die, but a scratch in the plastic flip.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    I guess it’s nevertheless to late to start a stamp collection

mark

This came with the stamps

These I picked up Thursday at the Long Beach show

I bought a bunch of unused stamps from a local coin shop.
    The typical going rate for these, dealer-to-dealer, is about half face value.
    So I can save almost half on my shipping costs. But my shipping helper (wife) has to endure the consequences ;)

• Options

@dcarr said:

@LindyS said:

Lindy

"Die Pair 05
    “1985”

(so far)

$90

@Texast said:

Not a crack in the die, but a scratch in the plastic flip.

oh, poo !

;^)

• Options

@dcarr said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

So I can save almost half on my shipping costs. But my shipping helper (wife) has to endure the consequences ;)

Her and the clerk at the counter 😁 my envelope alone must have 15 postmarks, the one pictured has even more 👀😅😆🤣

Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options

@LindyS
    Dan is correct, it is a scratch on the flip. Other lines observed in the wings can be attributes of the previous design.

I'm sure it must be most difficult to get the entire previous design to disappear. I could only imagine how much pressure and multiple strikes it would take.

@dcarr , after so many strikes against existing designs do the dies ever exhibit what might be seen as a Clash type of transference from the coins themselves?

• Options
    Will1960Will1960 Posts: 76 ✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2020 11:15AM

I received my order yesterday and "Thank you Dan for all of the stamps"
    Literally covered the entire large mailer, and I think it looks very 'cool'.
    Some Bicentennial stamps, Apollo Moon Mission with the lunar rover vehicle and many other artful and attractive stamps.
    I think I'll save it and place in a frame.
    "I'm not a stamp collector Jenny, but I know what art is".

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2020 11:23AM

Here ya go for the 2020, the 1/4 Oz Clark Gruber:
    IN hand the fields are much more proof in appearance without all the marks/irregular toning.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2020 1:24PM

Two more of his silver dollars, 1920 Morgan and 1970 D Peace - can't make out the last digit of the overdate (Danny D with under struck D also!):

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

That 1970 looks kind of Matte-like, cool.... B)

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

John my postal carrier was cracking up when he handed me the package.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭✭

@renman95 said:

Yep, tmot99 made some of those same type holders for my 1894 Colombian Expo medals.
    Is he still on the forum? I wonder if he still making them? They are nice holders.

Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • Options

I dropped @tmot99 a PM to see if he is still actively producing holders. He has not logged into CU since Jan 2019.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2020 5:48PM

My package just hit Seattle today still got a few more days on the Registered Mail time line. :(

Sort of sucks being so far away from the rest of America.

• Options
    darth_morgandarth_morgan Posts: 190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2020 6:22PM

I had to pick up my second order at the PO today as I wasn't home yesterday to sign for it. Finally, I have a 64-D Peace.....

.... and the latest octagon owl.

I'll have to update the mintage figures for each once they are final.

My Eisenhower Dollar Complete Variety Set, Circulation Strikes and Proof (PCGS Registry):
    https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/dollars/eisenhower-dollars-specialty-sets/eisenhower-dollars-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-proof-1971-1978/publishedset/119137

Darth Morgan - "The Other Ike Dollars" Showcase: https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/showcase/3354

The Eisenhower Dollar Meeting Room: https://www.facebook.com/groups/933585237044733

• Options
    edited February 25, 2020 6:33PM

@Gluggo said:

My package just hit Seattle today still got a few more days on the Registered Mail time line. :(

Sort of sucks being so far away from the rest of America.

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, mine left Hot Lanta this morning, won't be long now.... B)

• Options

@tmot99 said:
    Hi everyone. Thanks for the comments regarding the coin holders. I no longer collect so I have not been keeping up on the boards. We stopped producing custom holders because there wasn't enough business to justify it.

Thanks Tom for clearing that up. A nice piece of MM history clarified. May have to go with a Dansco Album for my set unless Capital can make something. I'm not into slabs for these -- too sterile and harder to fondle when need arises... ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file