Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

**1986 FLEER BASKETBALL SET BREAK IS FILLED** ADDRESSES NEEDED, SEE LAST PAGE!!

Comments

• baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭

steve
    I'm in. let me know
    fred

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Thanks for the condolences guys. It will take me some time, but one day I'll return to the hobby.

I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!
  • ssollarsssollars Posts: 933 ✭✭✭✭

I'll take one more slot.

• RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

Take one more, why not! (2 total)

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RyanAdmirer said:
    Thanks for the condolences guys. It will take me some time, but one day I'll return to the hobby.

Ryan, take as much time as you need.

Please add a slot for Ryan, I will gladly pay for him. Ryan don't try and not take me up on this, I want and need to do this for you. I can't imagine the pain you must be feeling. I am so sorry for your loss.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    edited October 14, 2016 8:51AM

Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”
  • ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Based on my count, it looks like we have another 8 slots filled since Steve's last update. That means only 4 more spots to fill!

@Cakes said:

@RyanAdmirer said:
    Thanks for the condolences guys. It will take me some time, but one day I'll return to the hobby.

Please add a slot for Ryan, I will gladly pay for him. Ryan don't try and not take me up on this, I want and need to do this for you. I can't imagine the pain you must be feeling. I am so sorry for your loss.

Very nice of you to offer something like this to someone facing a tough time.

• I will take one slot

• slum22slum22 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭✭

@richtree said:

@richtree -- It looks like you edited your post. I never saw what you had initially posted. As of now I am closing the break. If anyone bows out you will be the first alternate if you choose. Please respond here if that is what you want. Thanks, Steve.

Steve

@ugaskidawg said:

@Cakes said:

@RyanAdmirer said:

Very nice of you to offer something like this to someone facing a tough time.

@Cakes -- I agree with what Brent said above. It is a very generous and classy gesture on your part to think of RyanAdmirer at this time. I am going to try and PM him to make sure that he wants to accept your thoughtful gift. My only concern would be whether at this time having cards inbound to him would be a welcome distraction or a potential burden. If he feels up for receiving the card then I would like to gift him his original two slots as well (thus closing the break). I will let you know what he says. In the meantime, I will try and get totals out to everyone by the end of the day. On the possibility that RyanAdmirer declines the slots given to him, I will open them up again to the group. Thanks for your patience,

Steve

Steve
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slum, That makes sense and I definitely don't want to create any burden. I just want him to know that the board is behind him.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although I am not partaking in the break, there is an air of excitement building for those involved as well as others who are following this break. Good luck to the participants.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

I am just quoting the OP because I am about to make an edit. I have been having a hard time with accidentally erasing stuff in my posts with the new changes and I did not want to lose this info.

@slum22 said:
    THE SET BREAK IS NOW LIVE. THANKS FOR EVERYONE WHO IS PARTICIPATING. PLEASE REVIEW THE RULES OF THE BREAK BELOW. THIS IS A BREAK OF A 1986 FLEER BASKETBALL PSA 9 SET. ALL CARDS ARE INCLUDED WITH THE EXCEPTION OF #66 MAURICE LUCAS, WHICH IS BEING REPLACED BY A 1986 FLEER STICKER DOMINIQUE WILKINS PSA 9. EVERY CARD IN THE BREAK IS PICTURED BELOW, INCLUDING A FRESHLY REHOLDERED MICHAEL JORDAN RC.

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE PM ME OR POST ON THIS THREAD AND I WILL ANSWER YOUR QUESTION AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

PRICE PER SLOT: $87

SHIPPING: $3 flat for first card, $1 additional for each card with a cap at $5. So if you buy more than three slots shipping for every slot after the third will be free.

NOTE: If you win the Jordan, you will be expected to pay more for shipping. You will pay the actual cost of shipping the card to you via USPS Express Overnight or USPS Registered Mail shipping with full insurance. If you think this is unfair and do not want to pay the extra shipping charges for the Jordan, let me know and I will gladly refund your slot and keep it

If you win the 121 Wilkins or the 132 Checklist you will pay normal shipping charges but you will also have to pay whatever the actual Insurance charge is for your cards.

INSURANCE: For everyone else, insurance will be optional. If you want insurance on your package I will add it to your total. Again, the cost will be the exact USPS charge for insurance that you request.

PAYMENT TERMS: Payment is expected as soon as the break ends, which is defined as when all the slots are claimed. I will update everyone’s total on the official break thread, so please wait for the total before sending payment. Payment is expected via PayPal and will be net to me. PayPal Friends and Family is preferred but if you want PayPal Goods please know that 3% will be added to the total to account for the PayPal fees.

START TIME: The break will start around 4PM Pacific on Friday 10/7/2016 (I get off work around 4 so it may be a little earlier or later). I will create a new thread around this time and once it is up, the break is live and you can begin requesting slots. For maximum inclusion, for the first 24 hours there will be a limit of 2 slots per person. After the first 24 hours and for the next 24 hours, everyone can add two more slots. After 48 hours, you can reserve as many slots as you desire.

RANDOMIZATION: After the break is paid for by all the participants I will announce a date/time where I will stream a live broadcast of the randomization of the break. I have never live streamed before so I still have to figure out how to work it, but I think I will try to do the live stream on Breakers TV. I will post the link to the broadcast at the time of announcement. Each slot purchased will be assigned a number 1-132 by the order of purchase, this list will be on the first page of the official break page once it goes live. I will try to update as frequently as possible as people are buying their slots. The slot numbers will then be put through the randomizer on Random.org and randomized seven times (lucky number 7 for someone). The seventh randomization will be the official break of the set and each slot will receive the card that matches their spot in the order of that final list.

ECONOMICS OF THE BREAK: Due to length, the information in this section is not included in this thread but remains in the original thread so if you are curious about VCP values for individual cards and the set as a whole please go to that thread.

PARTICIPANTS:

1. LargentCollector
    2. LargentCollector
    3. abcoltsfan
    4. rcmb3220
    5. Harvak
    6. Schapko
    7. Schapko
    8. OldEnglishD5
    9. OldEnglishD5
    10. callers
    11. callers
    12. Justus
    13. Justus
    14. Bighurt2000
    15. ugaskidawg
    16. ugaskidawg
    17. JayZee68
    18. JayZee68
    19. halosfan
    20. halosfan
    21. dennis07
    22. spinfadesplash2..
    23. spinfadesplash2..
    24. Airjoedan
    25. Ripublicaninmas..
    26. Galaxy27
    27. Galaxy27
    28. shu4040
    29. shu4040
    30. Loyalty32
    31. Mantlefan23
    32. jfkheat
    33. jfkheat
    34. ssdawg77
    35. ssdawg77
    36. Mefer
    37. Mefer
    38. or246
    39. SlugSports
    40. SlugSports
    41. PlayBall
    42. PlayBall
    43. dontippet
    44. secretstash
    45. secretstash
    46. eagles33
    47. RAPTORSRULE04
    48. Bcookie
    49. Smittys
    50. Smittys
    51. rcmb3220
    52. rhibeli
    53. rhibeli
    54. dennis88
    55. dennis88
    56. mrmojorisin
    57. ssollars
    58. ssollars
    59. JBrules
    60. JBrules
    61. Mullins5
    62. jfkheat
    63. jfkheat
    64. ifyoucanthinkof...
    65. targo98
    66. targo98
    67. fergie23
    68. fergie23
    69. JBrules
    70. eagles33
    71. flatfoot816
    72. flatfoot816
    73. grimster
    74. grimster
    75. cakes
    76. cakes
    77. cakes
    78. playball
    79. playball
    80. LarkinCollector
    81. brad31
    82. ScottJayhawk
    83. initialD
    84. Maddux69
    85. Maddux69
    86. markmac
    87. cecropiamoth
    88. cecropiamoth
    89. jwgators
    90. mgoblue24
    91. DerekD
    92. DerekD
    93. Brandon554
    94. Brandon554
    95. Brandon554
    96. ergoism
    97. ergoism
    98. jtg41
    99. jtg41
    100. vintagefun
    101. vintagefun
    102. lotsos
    103. lotsos
    104. balco
    105. balco
    106. halosfan
    107. targo98
    108. OAKESY25
    109. OAKESY25
    110. SpidFadeSplash23
    111. SpinFadeSplash23
    112. or246
    113. 1980scollector
    114. SleepyDave
    115. SleepyDave
    116. SecretStash
    117. flatfoot816
    118. flatfoot816
    119. jjworm
    120. jjworm
    121. jfkheat
    122. cakes
    123. shu4040
    124. baz518
    125. JayZee68
    126. ssollars
    127. Ripublicaninmass
    128. RyanAdmirer (via Cakes)
    129. Harvak
    130. Yanksfan1976
    131. RyanAdmirer
    132. RyanAdmirer

Here are the scans of the cards in the break:

NEWLY REHOLDERED JORDAN RC

1-4

5-8

9-12

13-16

17-20

21-24

25-28

29-32

33-36

37-40

41-44

45-48

49-52

53-56

57-60

61-64

65-68

69-72

73-76

77-80

81-84

85-88

89-92

93-96

97-100

101-104

105-108

109-112

113-116

117-120
    121-124

125-128

129-132

ETA: After going through my set, I found four cards that were upgraded/updated that were different from the cards in the scans above. They are all commons and do not materially change much about the break. But for the sake of accuracy, these four cards will replace the cards in the scans above:

Here are the late additions to the set, Buck Williams and Al Wood, as well as the Dominique Sticker that will replace the slot for Maurice Lucas.

Steve
  • Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

Basketball isn't my thing, but this will be fun to follow. Great idea!
    Very nice gesture by Cakes as well. After reading what Ryan wrote about the tragedy he's dealing with - I just don't have the words.
    My heart goes out to him and his family.

• LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Payment sent.

Kevin

• abcoltsfanabcoltsfan Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

Payment sent. Thanks!

Working on the following sets
    1980's and 1990's Topps Baseball BBCE FASC - Cello or Wax Boxes
    1952 Bowman US Presidents PSA 7 & up
    Pro Football Hall of Fame Indianapolis Colts PSA Registry Set
    June 9th Cubs full ticket or stubs - 1981 to 2020
    Andre Dawson Topps Basic registry PSA 10's
    Mark Grace Topps Basic registry PSA 10's

Hey Steve - just shot you the PP $

• I just sent my payment.

• PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭

Payment sent. Wishing everyone good luck!

Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • 1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭

All paid. Good luck to all.

** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **

Post 1980^ ahhhh I am about to win MJ.

** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Good luck!
  • JustusJustus Posts: 179 ✭✭

Payment sent Steve, thanks.

Successful transactions w/Comicgeek68, Statman, Scotgreb, Aupt, captainthreeputt, diamondman, Mickey71, slantycouch, Bkritz, BABERUTHJOEDIMAGGIO, craigger, Huggyface, and many others.
  • Loyalty32Loyalty32 Posts: 499 ✭✭✭

Steve - Payment has been sent. I appreciate it!

Thanks
    Craig

• airjoedanairjoedan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭
    Payment sent - fingers crossed for my slot (#24)! Thanks again!
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve-

$ sent.

Thanks bud!

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

• bighurt2000bighurt2000 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭

Steve,
    Payment sent thanks for doing this.

James

• dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

Payment sent.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first time doing this sort thing, payment sent

• Paid via gift, thanks Steve!

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Payment sent.
    James

• or246or246 Posts: 110 ✭✭✭

Payment has been sent!!

Currently working on 1970 Topps Hockey PSA 9 set
  • SpinFadeSplash23SpinFadeSplash23 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    edited October 14, 2016 7:46PM

Paid. And I hope getting slot #23 is an omen.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 968 ✭✭✭✭✭

Steve,

Payment sent for my slots #87 and 88.

Thanks, Jeff

jeffdjohnson@wi.rr.com

• OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭

paid $178 thank you!

• Payment sent
  • All paid up!

Thanks!
    I have no collecting direction. I just buy stuff!
  • ssollarsssollars Posts: 933 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2016 1:19AM

Paid,

Goodluck everyone!

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just sent payment.

• Paid. Thanks!!

Hail to the Victors!
    Seller ALFLAIR on eBay. for many vintage PSA and raw card sales. PSA Set Registry OldEnglishD with various sets including 71 Fleer Globetrotters, 71 Topps Football, and 64 Topps Standups. Also under FarFars (various sets) on the registry.
  • @Cakes said:

@RyanAdmirer said:

I am writing this with tears in my eyes (and maybe a few running down my cheeks). I am extremely proud to be a very small part of this forum. The way that members step up for other members when they are having tough times has always amazed me, and I've been glad to also help step up a few times for others when able. Dropping out of the break and stepping away from the hobby for a bit was not simply because I wanted to, it was because financially I needed to. My daughter's affairs will be going through Probate due to her having no will. I had life insurance on her but that expired in August. At that time I'd decided to leave it up to her and decide whether or not she wished for it to continue, which of course now I realize was a huge mistake. She was a single mom of a 17-month old, and it will be some time until it is decided on how/where she will be raised. This week has been a nightmare to say the least. I spent roughly 48 out of 55 hours in a hospital with almost no sleep and no eating. There were just tears, hugs, and prayers. 3 days later was her visitation, and her burial was this morning. The visitation and burial were dual as her step-father also perished in the accident.

This was obviously the worst week of my life. I cannot choose which was the worst day, as there were actually 5 out of the 6 that would previously qualify and it's a toss up among all 5. But as is sometimes the case with life, there is some positive to come out of tragedy. 6 of my daughter's organs were successfully transplanted into people in need (heart included). During my last two days in the hospital I learned a great deal about the organization handling the process. They were incredible people that not only take great care of my daughter but also took great care of her family and friends while at the hospital. The entire experience left a permanent effect on me. I am also an organ donor. But I've also decided to take a much more active role when it comes to organ donation. I'll be meeting as many recipients of her organs as possible. I'll be joining some of the organizations support groups that contain others whose family members have also donated. And perhaps as you can already tell, I'll be spreading the word of the need for donors and providing information for others as much as possible. I will also be looking for other ways in which I can help the organization. Please, if there are others that are curious as to the process feel free to message me with any questions. If I don't know the answer to a question I will definitely find out for you.

I am completely humbled by the kindness of the members that not only have decided to donate a spot (or two) to me but also by the messages of support that I have received. I'm very appreciative of all the prayers. There are so many lives affected by the loss of these two great people. But we will get through this. I'm blessed with two sons as well as a daughter-in-law, but it will take some time for each of us to pick up the pieces that are left.

I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!
  • 49ersGuy49ersGuy Posts: 382 ✭✭

dang. I can't believe i missed this while I was away!!!!

@RyanAdmirer,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post here to share your feelings. I think I can safely speak for the community on this forum that we all stand by you in this painful and exhausting time for you and your family. I know we have spoken already on PM about this, but while the loss of your daughter is tragic, it is surely a small measure of solace that she lives on in the people that she helped and saved with her organ donation. Her death has blessed those six families who will now have more time with their loved ones. It is inspiring to see how moved you are to action to join that cause.

In the meantime, I am overwhelmed with happiness that you will be taking up @Cakes and my offers to donate slots to you. If this break can offer you a brief respite from your grief then I am honored to help in this small way. All the best to you and your family. Take care,

Steve

Steve

**THE FIRST SNAFU OF THE BREAK HAS OCCURRED AND IT WAS ENTIRELY MY ERROR. @baseballfan PM'D ME ASKING ME WHY HE WAS NOT GIVEN A SLOT IN THE BREAK. IN THE CRAZY SPRINT TO THE END OF THE BREAK, I COMPLETELY OMITTED HIS REQUEST TO HAVE A SLOT IN THE BREAK. LOOKING THROUGH THE TIMELINE, HIS REQUEST ACTUALLY SHOULD HAVE BEEN SLOTTED BETWEEN 125. JayZee68 and 126. ssollars. EVERYONE WHO REQUESTED A SLOT AFTER HIS REQUEST HAS PAID. I DO NOT WANT TO ASK SOMEONE WHO HAS ALREADY PAID OR REQUESTED A SLOT BEFORE HIM TO HAVE TO GIVE UP A SLOT. SO HERE IS THE SOLUTION I HAVE COME UP WITH:

I WILL PAY TO BUY A #66 MAURICE LUCAS CARD AND THE BREAK WILL BE RUN WITH 133 CARDS INSTEAD OF 132, THE EXTRA DOMINIQUE WILKINS STICKER THAT WAS INITIALLY TO REPLACE THE LUCAS CARD WILL STAY IN THE BREAK AS #133 AND THE LUCAS WILL GO IN ITS NORMAL #66 SLOT IN THE SET CHECKLIST.

NOTE: THE VALUE OF THE LUCAS CARD IS GREATER THAN THE SLOT COST OF $87 AND SHIPPING $3. AT THE TIME I LOOKED UP VCP VALUES FOR THE BREAK, THE LUCAS CARD HAD A VCP AVG. OF $100.99. SO ADDING THIS CARD WILL NOT DILUTE THE BREAK. IT WILL ACTUALLY INCREASE THE POTENTIAL VALUE OF THE BREAK FOR ALL PARTICIPANTS.

IF ANYONE DISAGREES WITH THIS SOLUTION, THEN PLEASE VOICE YOUR CONCERNS HERE. AGAIN, I APOLOGIZE TO ALL FOR THIS POTENTIAL LATE CHANGE TO THE BREAK, BUT I WANTED TO BE FAIR TO @baseballfan AND GET HIM IN THE BREAK, WHILE ALSO NOT DISPLACING ANY PARTICIPANTS WHO ALREADY HAD SLOTS.**

Steve
  • dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

That sounds like a good solution. If anyone has any heartburn at all and can't live with your solution I will give up my slot.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball

Sounds fine to me

edited October 16, 2016 7:48AM

Any card I win including MJ I want slum to sell it and send the proceeds to @RyanAdmirer . If slum doesn't feel comfortable doing that it will be shipped to me, listed via eBay auction and he gets 100% of the hammer price.

As a father, my heart breaks for you. In my humble opinion, the greatest gift a person can give is what your daughter gave to six other families. The gift of life or, at the very least, a real chance to fight for it.

• bighurt2000bighurt2000 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭

We could wait to see if everybody pays first this could become a non issue.

James