Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The lowest graded coin I have EVER had certified!

MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
This came in the mail today from ANACS. It is an 1800 half dime Poor 1. PCGS has a value of $850. I guess somebody needs one for their collection! LOL! Can you match that grade?
Obverse slab picture
Picture of date
Stars on Obverse
Very faint outline of bust
Reverse slab picture
Stars at 11 o'clock on reverse
Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com

Comments

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love it. That reminds me of this one, that I don't own any more. An 1805 dime with a slight bit of detail to the obverse, but basal reverse:

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing the "berry count" was inferred. image
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool !!! ??
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Are you resubmitting it to ACG so you can get VG8?
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a 0.5 at best image

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That coin did its time. Neat
  • Options
    Originally posted by: spacehayduke
    That is a 0.5 at best image

Best, SH

imageimage
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As usual the acid test is whether it will cross to PCGS and CAC.
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a beaut..............................not!!!
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: MICHAELDIXON
    This came in the mail today from ANACS. It is an 1800 half dime Poor 1. PCGS has a value of $850. I guess somebody needs one for their collection! LOL! Can you match that grade?

Cross it! image

Nice to protect a coin with that much honest wear!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. Tuff coin.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing... I have an IHC that is identifiable... except for the date.... never sent it in, I am sure it will not grade...have had that coin since I was a kid. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see damage and evidence of cleaning in 1833, should have been details graded. LOL!!! image
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice to have that 00 showing for a date otherwise it would be toast for grading. I have a totally slick 1853 obv halve dollar but the rays show on the rev and therefore gradeable as PO01. I also have the 4 1853 quarters and halves graded as PO01
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TommyType
    I'm guessing the "berry count" was inferred. image

There is a difference in the position of the stars on the reverse that can be used to differentiate between the 4 Stars and the 5 Stars. They probably could see enough to make the call.

• Options
    AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    I made a PO1 wreath cent through our host.
    Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • Options
    boyernumismaticsboyernumismatics Posts: 473 ✭✭✭✭
    I just got back an 1890 O PO01 Morgan from PCGS and am sending a 1921 in with my submission tomorrow.. Will post pics in a few.
  • Options
    boyernumismaticsboyernumismatics Posts: 473 ✭✭✭✭

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I would rather have a "hole" in my set than that thing.
  • Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing how the '00' was still visible!
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DIMEMAN

The draped bust half dime is a very tough type, relatively few collectors have an example in ANY condition. Even so, have to agree with the above, and also with the poster who said that this grades less than a Poor-1.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭
    Unless there is some diagnostic on the obverse that is that links it to a particular mint, the '21 Morgan won't grade. They not only need to determine the date, but also which mint if more than one mint struck that type of coin that year.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a terrific 1 !

Even in another slab, it would not CAC.

Which makes it a true 1 in my opinion.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: DIMEMAN

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jclovescoins
    Amazing how the '00' was still visible!

• Options
    I really think there should be a grade lower than poor. For coins like this where they are identifiable by one area on one side.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's have "a ying and a yang" shall we? It's hard to believe that "that thing" once looked like "this thing."

imageimage

I agree with those that would rather have a hole in their collection.

Many years ago a dealer had a 1796 half dollar for sale. The piece had a bit more detail than this 1800 half dime in Poor-1, but it was holed. It was the last early U.S. silver type coin that I needed. He wanted $8,500 for it, which was way more than I could afford. Still even if I had had the money, I just couldn't pull the trigger on something like that regardless of the price.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: BillJones
    Let's have "a ying and a yang" shall we? It's hard to believe that "that thing" once looked like "this thing."

imageimage

Many years ago a dealer had a 1796 half dollar for sale. The piece had a bit more detail than this 1800 half dime in Poor-1, but it was holed. It was the last early U.S. silver type coin that I needed. He wanted $8,500 for it, which was way more than I could afford. Still even if I had had the money, I just couldn't pull the trigger on something like that regardless of the price.

Yes, she has been slapped on a bar many times since looking like yours Bill.image
  • Options
    Originally posted by: BillJones

imageimage

I can see the resemblence! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file