Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coinstar

1957 Roosy and Canadian nickel from the Coinstar at Walmart today. Although Coinstar finds are not overly unusual, this is the first silver in years. Coin in near unc condition.

Comments

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice. My daughter got a 64D Rosie about two weeks ago from Coinstar. I too was surprised as I haven't seen silver in a long time as well. Hers was probably VF.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    The silver dimes are showing up. A few weeks ago I got a 1953 D dime from a Coinstar. It didn't show wear but had picked up a bit of dirt.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good to her someone got some silver. congrats.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found 3 90% last week, all Roosies. I only found a Canadian 10c from 1953 this week, an 80% coin.

But today in my credit union I found a slightly bent 1902 IHC in the coin machine.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't only check the reject bin. If I am at the store and see someone using the damn thing I observe (stalk) them. If I see them pulling stuff out of the reject slot, they invariably try to run it through again and again. That's your cue to walk up and say "you getting any rejects? I'm a collector and may be interested in whatever the machine rejects."

This ploy has netted me a 1942 Merc last week and a 1952 Roosie the week before. I offered both customers $1 for their dimes and they greedily accepted, looking like they just took a rube to the cleaners!

Of course this leaves very little profit for me, but it's good fun anyway. Maybe I'll start carrying clad Kennedy's to "trade" them to up my profit.image
  • Options
    Last night I looked in the return of a CoinStar for the first time in my life. I got a modern cent, modern dime and a Canadian dime.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting coincidence ricman.... two weeks ago I found a 1957 Rosie in the coinstar... first silver in a long time....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My last Coinstar find was a dollar coin.

A Taiwan dollar coin, about the size of a penny and worth about as much.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having never considered the Coinstar search until I joined up on CU, I made my first foray into the tray last week. Found 2 oriental coins. Dates: 2011 and 2014. Dime in size but somewhat thicker. Both have a large one on the reverse with horizontal bars/lines within the 1. Obverse has what seems to be a plant. "Zhongguo Renmin Yinhang along the inner rim. Nothing great I presume, but provides impetus to continue on when the opportunity arises.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $1.36 today and 50 centavo Mexico
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    Found a Utah state quarter today that is either rolled thin or else on dime thickness planchet!

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet finds folks!
    Found a 1951 quarter last week with a batch of other goodies.
    The silver was the highlight, along with a silver Canadian dime.
    Lots of foreign stuff too.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last Monday am, guy came in to sell me some coins, another guy was down at the local food lion(grocery chain) dumping piles of coins and such in the coin star, some didn't go thru and when into the rejection bin incl several morgan silver $. The guy bought them from the dude dumping for face, and he then brough tthem to me. Inc in this dump was a low grade 78-cc and a 03-o.
  • Options
    Nothing in the coinstar for the last two days.... oh well... as holiday season approaches, people will empty their coin jars and sock drawers... got a good mind to camp out at the supermarket...cooler with drinks and sandwiches.... check the coinstar every hour ... image

Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    At the CoinStar this afternoon I found 3 dimes and 1 nickel, all modern.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not much lately around here.
  • Options
    TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: ricko
    Nothing in the coinstar for the last two days.... oh well... as holiday season approaches, people will empty their coin jars and sock drawers... got a good mind to camp out at the supermarket...cooler with drinks and sandwiches.... check the coinstar every hour ... image
    Cheers, RickO

Yep, go early and often.

• Options
    Jackpot at the Coinstar today.... $1.40 Canadian and $1.86 U.S., No silver though....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ricko
    Cheers, RickO

Yeah Ricko, sounds like a " Tailgate" party before the payoff!image

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Went to the grocery store to get Dixie cups and traipsed by the green machine:

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nova Scotia's sailing ambassador, the Bluenose II, which visits the Maritime ports in the summer, is on the Canadian Dime. I saw it when I was in Lunenburg, this May.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    PClark99PClark99 Posts: 35 ✭✭✭

Hit stop and shop tonight.

Brought home 1 lonely 1947 Rosie from the reject tray.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got a 1929 penny last night. Just never know 😁

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭

Nice find but 1929 cent looks like its been through the great depression.

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have found silver every month this year except March (and current month but still time) which is a bummer because March is my birthday month - Two dimes last month on separate occasions...

Note, there is an official Coin Start trend/post

• Options

Well, a bonanza yesterday. Coinstar reject slot full....$5.50 in dimes, $2.25 in quarters, .20 in nickels, and a 1977 Kennedy half dollar - Total $8.45. No silver, but nice haul overall. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two recent non-US coin finds, a Canada dime and a Mexico 10 centavos.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 13, 2022 12:53PM

@ricko said:
    Well, a bonanza yesterday. Coinstar reject slot full....$5.50 in dimes, $2.25 in quarters, .20 in nickels, and a 1977 Kennedy half dollar - Total $8.45. No silver, but nice haul overall. Cheers, RickO

Congratulations buddy 😁
    They must not hear the coins returning. That’s a lot of ka Khinks too missing but what an awesome way to end a drought. ( that’s enough for a pretty good beer at the LQ)

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file