Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

"It's like kissing your sister"...

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hi Guy's, Have you ever heard of that expression? You know, in baseball. When two teams play a double-header and they both end up winning one of them. "It's like kissing your sister'! Which means, you get nothing out of it. Well, that's the feeling I received when I end up selling a graded coin I purchased early in the year at one of the big Shows, months later for the same price I bought it for! I tried to flip at other shows,on Ebay and at coin shops. But to no prevail. It was a NGC 1953 Proof 68 Cameo Quarter. I bought it for $250. It list at $450. Couldn't even make a small profit, so I decided to get my money back and chalk it up as a "break even" deal. Like I said, "It's like kissing your sister" Nothing gained! However, It is a joy to kiss my sister. Unlike that other joy.(you know what I mean) Ala, getting my money back. As to, making a huge profit!image

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You did much better than I did on the last couple I sold.
  • Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    A smart person knows when to cut their losses and move on. At least you didn't lose any money.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    I was looking for one of those! I would have paid much more than $250! image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just called my sister Andrea and said "happy birthday". She is in her sixties. Thanks for reminding me. image
  • Options
    ScootersdadScootersdad Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    Yes, breaking even ain't a bad thing. Just sold 20 coins at auction, 19 lost money and 1 made money. Basically got 60 cents on the dollar. So count it as a blessing.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You got to own it and enjoy it for a while rent-free.

If I can do the same with my own collection it will be a huge victory.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: IrishMikey
    I was looking for one of those! I would have paid much more than $250! image

Are you just saying that to make me feel any worse? Like instead of kissing my sister, you make me feel like kissing the frog!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reminds me of a story...

The computer programmer is walking to work and he hears a frog croak "Kiss me" "Kiss me".
    He picks up the frog and looks carefully at it then puts it in his pocket.
    From his pocket he hears "Kiss Me - I'm a beautiful princess"
    He pulls the frog out and looks at it again.
    The frog says "I'm really a princess and I'll be forever grateful".
    The programmer puts the frog back in his pocket.
    "Why won't you kiss me" he hears from the pocket.
    So he pulls the frog out once more...
    "look," he says... "I'm a computer programmer with broken glasses held together with duct tape who lives at home with his mother and walks to work. If I kiss you, some guy with a nice car will swoop in and steal you away. But a talking frog is cool."
    -----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BStrauss3

Reminds me of a story...

The computer programmer is walking to work and he hears a frog croak "Kiss me" "Kiss me".

"look," he says... "I'm a computer programmer with broken glasses held together with duct tape who lives at home with his mother and walks to work. If I kiss you, some guy with a nice car will swoop in and steal you away. But a talking frog is cool."

Now that is H, I, Larious..image
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I try to make money, when I can, but I am never upset about breaking even, especially, when it's something that I don't want/need and I need to free up capital.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,510 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least you didn't lose money.

I first heard the "kissing you sister" comment back in the early '60s when the #1 and #2 ranked college football teams met in a game at the end of the season. The presumption was the winner would be #1. The game ended in a 7 to 7 tie which pleased no one. In those days there was no overtime rule to break ties. I think that Michigan was one of the teams, but I can't say for sure.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never heard that about a double header.....only a tie in hockey...
  • Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Better than kissing your brother (taking a loss) image

That's down right funny Burton!
    The more you VAM..
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Count yourself lucky as even had you taken a 50% loss the psychological scar would have still been far less then kissing your own sister! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Broadstruck
    Count yourself lucky as even had you taken a 50% loss the psychological scar would have still been far less then kissing your own sister! image

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Give the coin to your sister.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well...IMO, breaking even - especially in the lower level coin market - can often be considered a win. And, may I add... kissing your sister is not as bad as kissing your grandmother and she

slips you the tongue.....imageMAO......Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Originally posted by: ricko
    Well...IMO, breaking even - especially in the lower level coin market - can often be considered a win. And, may I add... kissing your sister is not as bad as kissing your grandmother and she

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Jackthecat1
    A smart person knows when to cut their losses and move on. At least you didn't lose any money.

• Options
    Originally posted by: BStrauss3
    Reminds me of a story...

• Options
    Originally posted by: ricko

imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Originally posted by: CA5MAN
    I'm not surprised with the result because as far as NGC the pops are high and historically that's about the going rate for that coin. Also, NGC imho is very liberal with the CAM designation and I suspect that equates to less money on the flip side. EBAY sales for that coin may be slightly higher but once the fees come off there isn't much left. You can't just buy anything and expect a pull. Basically, you bought a $250 coin for $250. I'd chalk it up to cheap tuition as you didn't lose money.

Your so right about the NGC aspect. Even though the coin did state "Cameo", It really didn't appear to be. Our Host would have never given the coin a Cameo recognition! That's probably what every person that I tried to flip the coin to saw also? The only thing is the reason I bought it was because in NGC, there was only one grade higher. No 70, not even by NGC's standards. I agree with most of you guys, I'll take the money what I paid for it and be happy.image

• Options
    nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: coinlieutenant

Never heard that about a double header.....only a tie in hockey...

Watching hockey in general is like kissing your sister. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file