Home Precious Metals
Options

Two Tier Market for Gold?

Comments

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your title is misleading...It should include...for "Graded" Gold Coins.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This whole CAC episode can't be of any positive effect on anyone OTHER than VERY involved collectors.

A new collector (or even an older one from simpler days) would, I believe, just throw in the towel and chalk it up to just taking more money to play the game.

If that's a positive.....well, my opinion is wrong.

The day it was announced that a new service was being formed to LOOK at already graded coins is a day I remember well.

I even posted a question about the longevity of a service so dependent on a single pair of eyes.

Well, that has been addressed....I guess.

But THEN I expect "JOHNCOINS" to set yet another "tier" of desirability.

imageisgust;
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This whole CAC episode can't be of any positive effect on anyone OTHER than VERY involved dealers.

Fixed it for you.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

The disgust smilie got broken when they updated the forum. image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes... this concept has taken root and has a vast appeal among collectors. It still surprises me...not sure how many opinions are necessary for establishing grades, but it seems many require at least two... and maybe there is room for more...image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some people have a need for re-assurance. Not once, not twice, but 3 times. And some need acceptance. I get that.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny how it's always downplayed.

If a collector/dealer KNOWS their series and how to grade, it's all gravy. If they sell to someone not as knowledgeable, they can intentionally, or unintentionally, screw the buyer over and make it hard on them in their collecting (and selling) going forward.

The TPGS were supposed to correct much of that. HOWEVER, many of the same people have complained about "problem" coins they have seen in the TPGS plastic. Add in coins that people believe aren't graded right, and it became the same type of thing that people say about CAC right now.

At a minimum, the 2 TOP TPGS have a guarantee on their grading/problems. The same people that are constantly kibbitizing have probably never tried to use that guarantee. It can be hard to get what "you" feel is the right resolution and it can take quite a bit of time (I had a coin in for 6+ months....and that was about 10 years ago when things were "quicker")

They also aren't in the market for coins and so you sell them as YOU can.

Now, CAC is there and can help people identify things that have been hard to identify (ie...I have heard they have been very helpful on gold coins that people didn't recognize may have had issues).

Also, they DO create a market for the coins they have stickered. I have never attempted to use it, but others have. No one is forced to sell to them, but there is that option.

They do a pretty quick job on their submissions as well.

Add to that that it has made certain coins much more liquid again, and the only reasoning I can see for being pi$$y about it is if one has a coin with a problem when it comes time to selling.

I, personally, am fine buying stickered (CAC) or non-stickered coins, IF I like them. Some aren't like that. I understand that.

It isn't worth whining about, imho, though. Sell to a knowledgeable person or put in the resources to sell it to someone else (resources can be sending to CAC, sending to an auction house (or ebay), or something else...whatever).

I also think the OP would do better on the US Coin Forum, since it is about gold COINS and, to my knowledge, CAC doesn't sticker bars and bullion image

I could just imagine some of the comments of folks here is they heard that CAC was going to start stickering GAEs, SAEs, and gold/silver bars image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment