Home Precious Metals
Options

Last ammunition lead facility shut down....

AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
Will silver become cheaper than lead and will we be buying silver

for silver bullets?

The EPA just shut down America's only lead producing facility in Missouri.

Now will the cost of lead go through the roof (I know that it's the most recycled

non precious metal)?

Never going to happen I know, but it does bring back the Lone Ranger's silver bullet

idea!!

bobimage
Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Comments

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The last bullet-producing lead smelter closed its doors on Dec. 31, 2013. Even the Army stopped using lead bullets. Copper is in...lead is a thing of the past ....

2013 FOX news
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lead kills people image
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Google the "Doe run lead plant".

bobimage
  • Options
    That Fox news applied to rifle ammo like 7.62, 5.56,,etc.

It did not cover revolver and pistol ammo that is lead headed like .22,

9mm, .38spl, etc.

bobimage
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    with all the anti american sentiment im wondering if thats a huge mistake shutting that down. you would have to have some back up somewhere. jmo
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lead is still available from off shore sources.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Originally posted by: ricko

Lead is still available from off shore sources.... Cheers, RickO

You missed the point Ricko. The article clearly states lead is still available from overseas

sellers. The point of the article is that the US NO LONGER has a lead manufacture capable

of making lead billets to provide to Remington, Winchester, etc for bullet manufacturing.

Older engines that still use leaded gas (for internal lubrication) are at risk as well.

This will drive the cost of ammo sky high, in my opinion.

What better way to make guns useless than control the manufacturing of ammo?

Soon we will be substituting silver for lead.....lol

Be well Ricko, but don't forget the meds!

bobimage
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you can't stop the guns, stop the ammo.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    Booger9989Booger9989 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    Can you post a link to the article please? I can only find information on the dear run plant from 2013! If thats already closed how will it make a difference now?

Positive BST Deals as a seller : Wondercoin, Chumlee, Jerster, Perry Hall , DMarks, MWK, drewsef, SoCalBigMark, Lakesammman, Nurmaler
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Most of a copper jacketed bullet is still lead inside. Copper does not have the mass to be a good projectile by itself.

COA
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand why lead shot was eliminated for waterfowl, ducks would eat it, that's a problem. The solution was copper coated steel which at first was met with resistance to bird hunters. For me it was a decent trade off. Although the softness of the lead would warp upon impact keeping the shot inside the bird and producing more effective reactions to bringing birds down, steel shot completely penetrates the birds body, which doesn't really knock down the bird but when preparing it for a meal there is little or no shot to remove, which is nice.

As far a rifle and pistol bullets are concerned, I'm not sure how the weight of copper would translate, as they are measured in such tiny increments that when changed create all sorts if changes in ballistics, some of which would not be desirable.

Less lead would be better for enviro but truly there are other places that are polluting and I don't see going without lead for car batteries, tire weights, minuscule other uses I found in a google search. Probably not going to go without lead in our lifetime.

My thoughts on bullet control it that really the components are really not that hard to produce. Just think how complicated the production of say drugs are compared to say gun powder. All the laws out there have not stopped the complicated production and distribution. Or primer components would be to doing a motor rebuild in your garage. Reforming lead is really easy to do.

My other random thoughts are that citizens have been getting ahead of a ban for decades. Maybe the value rises to the point that recreational shooting is not feasible, but there will always be a possibility a firearm will have a round in it.

No way that's the last place bullets are being made. I just don't believe that at all.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: AUandAG
    Google the "Doe run lead plant".

bobimage

That is the same plant that Fox highlighted in my link...closed in 2013.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A new government may shut down the EPA image
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simple solution, just get a bunch of U-238 and wait 4.5 billion years. Half of it will turn to lead. Problem solved, patience my friends!