Home Precious Metals
Options

Anyone buy at regular intervals

This has probably been brought up before, but just curious how many of you buy every payday, weekly, monthly, etc. versus waiting for what you feel is the right price. Twice a month my pay goes into a 401k automatically, so I also try to buy a little something twice a month. Usually a 10 oz. silver bar or maybe a roll of silver quarters. Anyone else do this "dollar cost averaging"

Jim
Successful BST transactions with lkenefic, AnkurJ, ajia, stephunter, No lawyer

Comments

• Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    quarter ounce gold eagle once a month.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    smallchangesmallchange Posts: 192 ✭✭✭
    Might have to keep those in mind, looks like about a 26.00 spread between buy and sell on apmex site, not to bad especially since I have a minimum of 5 yr. time line on when I might be interested in selling.
    Successful BST transactions with lkenefic, AnkurJ, ajia, stephunter, No lawyer
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not in the past couple years. I was doing about 1 trip a month to the local B&M prior. Now I'm averaging maybe 2 or 3 purchases a year it seems.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I buy when I have some disposable cash available and when a good deal comes along.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will pay full retail for a scarcer or more unusual bar when one comes along. If it's something that I really like I'll pay more than full retail.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. I purchase when I see something I like, or sometimes when it is a really good deal. I used to buy ASE/AGE's yearly.... but stopped ASE's when the skipped a year and AGE's about the same time. Still buy them occasionally. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    Oh, and let me add that I try to time that monthly purchase with eBay's 6, 8, or 10% bucks specials in which case one can get a steep discount after the cash pay out every three months.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    If you are just talking bullion over the long term , buying what you can afford on a regular basis, (every week, every payday, every time you are in town, etc. whatever is convenient) is absolutely the best way to go as none of us can time the markets. Sure you bought some "high". But probably just as much" low". If you have a plan you can reach your goals or vice versa. If you have a goal you can make a plan.

Something else to consider is buying whatever may be selling for the smallest premium. In the long run this diversity will give youbflexiblity if you need to liquidate and have Smalls to sell, larger pieces that you may be able to get at a smaller premium or flexibility if you need it to barter in the future.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I work at a B&M so I buy when the opportunity strikes. Might be weekly or I may go a month without picking up bullion.

Picked up a Chiasso Argor 64oz bar for 15¢ over spot per ounce.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like to save up enough to make periodic mid to larger sized purchases, but they aren't necessarily on a regular schedule. This helps a little bit in terms of recordkeeping for tax purposes.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I average about 5 oz silver a week. Sometimes I skip a few weeks but make up for it with a ten oz bar or something. I rarely have more than an extra hundred I can miss, but I have found that these size purchases can really add up fast and hardly sting the pocketbook.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I purchase when I see something I like, or sometimes when it is a really good deal.

This
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."