Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dalton Show Report

YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was like a kid heading to the candy store on my drive to Dalton Saturday morning.

I decided to try a new route thanks to Google Maps. This involved no interstate highways for the second half of my trip and many country roads of northwest Georgia. I got only briefly lost once when I took the wrong fork in the road. The directions were accurate. The problem was me not following them. Anyway a few hundred yards later, I realized my mistake.

As I turned my car around on this narrow road, I noticed a small herd of cows trying to cool themselves off in a pond on a humid southern morning (and they noticed me!!)

I had hoped to make it to the show for the 10:00 opening. I was only 5 minutes late.

I had started a thread a few days before the show in an effort to meet not just dealers but collectors on this forum who might enjoy a little company as they walked the bourse floor.

Only one non-dealer reached out to me, the one and only JJSingleton. He was to arrive at 11:00, so I started my search for coins with out him.

I was grateful that several dealers had taken the time to give themselves a plug on my thread. Actually, it was one of these in particular whom I was especially glad to see again.

This was our own rkfish who owns PQ Dollars and Gilbert Coins. I have probably spoken to Steve and his wife at every show for the last several years, but as I don't collect dollars I have not paid much attention to his inventory. Oh, I am so glad I did on this day!

I spotted a beautiful 1943 Steel cent in PCGS MS67 with a CAC sticker in his showcase. I am not a penny collector either, but I am a WW II history nut. I have long wanted a really nice example of this seemingly not very rare coin for my Box of 20. These are actually hard to find really nice in a PCGS holder or CACed. NGC fatties are everywhere. At least that has been my experience. I wanted a PCGS coin and preferably one with a bean.

We worked out a trade for the really nice coin. I gave up my NGC MG65, a raw AU Morgan, a raw Cleveland commemorative that was in a collection I had bought earlier this year. I was very pleased to take this home:

imageimage

After that, JJSingleton arrived. We had a very nice conversation. As his name and auto-signature would indicate, he loves and collects Dahlonega gold. He brought some really nice examples to show me as we ate lunch together at the snack bar. My love for gold leans to O & C mint as well as Civil War dated pieces.

After we parted ways, I also got to see Leo Frese again and meet his brother who is now his business partner. I also had a nice talk with AMworldcoins. Darryl has the biggest inventory of Barber halves I have ever seen. If you collect circulated Barber halves, you need to get to know him NOW. He is a nice guy to boot.

I also attended Glen Peterson's lecture on Capped Bust Halves. Glen is a leader in the Bust Half Nut Club. His CBH set just won a Registry Set award. Check it out in the Registry section of our hosts website. If you ever have a chance to speak to Glen about bust halves, do it.

On the way to my car, I stopped by the supplies booth in the lobby that is always well stocked. I found one copy of Doug Winter's book on New Orleans gold. I need to read this so

gladly waited in line to buy it.

Those are the highlights of my day in Dalton. Taking home one nice coin...one great book!!

I love coin shows!!
Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.

Comments

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you had a great time! thanks for the report.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad you had a good time.

Steve is definitely a great guy. The last several coins I bought at a show came from him.

I'm not a dollar guy either.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you had a great time. Did you see any nice southern gold?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Boosibri

Sounds like you had a great time. Did you see any nice southern gold?

JJSingleton showed me an nicely original and neatly toned D half eagle from his collection. I did not see any more that looked original. In defense of the dealers present, I am sure they were there but I did not notice them.

I did see a cool looking 1861 $20 in AU 50. I always enjoy looking at Civil War dates, especially gold. I already have the war bookend dates of an 1861 $3 and an 1865 $20 in my box. So I decided to keep looking.
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the interesting show report.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    I was there on Friday... it was a great show.

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice report.... clearly you had an enjoyable day. And a nice '43 cent as well. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Originally posted by: ricko

Nice report.... clearly you had an enjoyable day. And a nice '43 cent as well. Cheers, RickO

Ricko, Thanks!
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another dealer robbed, this one leaving this show:

Vehicle Burglarized

Thomas Gintz ,owner, of A&E Coins in Dover,Ohio was traveling home after the Dalton show and was the victim of a vehicle burglary that occurred in Lenoir City, TN. Stolen was approximately $80,000 in coins and cash.

The following is a list of stolen coins:

260 AU-UNC Peace Dollars @ $22.00 ea.

4 oz Proof US Gold @ $1321.00 + 150.00 = 1471.00 ea.

2 - 1 oz 2016 Gold Maple Leafs @ $1351.00

2 - 1 oz 2016 Gold Buffalos @ $1366.00

1 Toronto $10 Note, Date back

2 - 1929 Dalton Notes @ $450.00 ea.

1889 CC Morgan Dollar XF

1909 S VDB Cent VF

1915 $10 Gold Indian AU

1885 CC Morgan $ XF

1817 over 13 Bust Half Fine

1851 C $5 Gold AU

1859 $3 Gold XF

1864 UNC Indian Head Cent

Lot of US Coins

1924 MS64 $20 Gold NGC 63-4387055-009

1914 S $20 Gold UNC

Large Lot of US Silver Dollars and Mixed Type Coins

1904 $2 1/2 Liberty MS66, PCGS 81659973

1825 Bust Quarter MS64 NGC

1847 C $2 1/2 Gold

1798 Large Cent

Lot of Mixed US Coins

1835 $5 Gold pc MS60 SEGS

Spannish Trail 50 Cent pc PCGS MS65

$5 Gold Coin - Slabbed

$2 1/2 Gold Coin

$10 Gold Coin AU

1854 Type 1 $1 Gold Coin

6 - Mixed $2 1/2 US Indian Head Gold Coins

4 Rolls 1963 D Franklin Half Dollars BU @ $190.00 ea.

1 Roll 1953 Franklin Half Dollars BU

1 Roll 1948 Franklin Half Dollars BU

1 Roll 19532 Franklin Half Dollars BU

1879 CC GSA Morgan Dollar NGC MS62

Anyone with information contact:

Doug Davis

817-723-7231

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file