Home U.S. Coin Forum

~*~*~ LordM's "Seated Seven" Set ~*~*~

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

My latest newp.

Now let's see what happens next. image

Goal: VF-XF original grey coins with "Circulation Cameo" contrast.

Last thing my already strained and minuscule budget needed was another distraction, but this looks appealing and doable over a year or two.

And won't require the longterm commitment of a Dansco 7070 or Littleton 19th Century type album.

A small-focus sideline. Why not.

And now...

THE COINS:

Half dime. 1838 No Drapery. Ex- "cyruss", eBay, 8/9/16.

Obverse (800x800) ~ Reverse (800x800)

Dime. 1876-S. Gift from forum member "Chumley", 8/4/16.

Quarter. 1857. Ex-"coinsplusinc", eBay, 8/3/16.

Obverse (800x800) ~ Reverse (800x800)

Half dollar. 1858-O. Ex-"ernie", eBay, 8/30/16.

Obverse (500x500) ~ Reverse (500x500)

Trade Dollar. 1877-S. Ex-"rojo-86", eBay, 8/12/16.

Obverse (500x500) ~ Reverse (500x500)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Add the pressure of finding only CC coins.
  • TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like fun! The Seated series are too long to ever consider doing a whole set of....anything. (Well, the 20c aren't bad....) But a type set is perfect.

Tough part may be deciding which variety you want in every hole. Stars, no stars....drapery, no drapery....motto, no motto....arrow/rays, arrows, nothing....

For a long, "unchanged" series, there sure was a lot of variation.

But if you have "a look" in mind, it's probably best to take them as they come!
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That will be fun. Certainly a set I would like to eventually put together.
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    All Love Tokens image
  • MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All Potty coins? image
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: abcde12345

No thanks!

But it would be nice to have all the various mints (P, S, O, CC) represented.

Originally posted by: TopographicOceans

All Love Tokens image

I thought of that. It could happen.

In fact, it could be a good repository for type duplicates

sfrom my "oddball" collection. Not a bad idea at all.

Originally posted by: MWallace

All Potty coins? image

Not a chance!

Though I've heard they exist for all the Seated denominations,

I have yet to see a "potty" engraving on anything other than a Trade dollar.

That would be tougher than an all-CC set!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LM,

That sounds like great fun. I wish you the best of luck.
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sounds fun and good luck
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A nice challenge... and certainly doable....Cheers, RickO
    I post a $19 empty plastic holder and it gets eight responses so far.

I've posted a $650 PCGS proof gold coin before, and that got only one!

Ahh, the irony. image

I'll have to see if I can actually add one coin to this holder soon, without going the love token route... just yet.

Gonna try mainstream, problem-free CircCams to start out with.

• TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These would be a good start

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭✭
    Really great holder.

I would toss out there go with a date specific set.

it can be tough to find real nice for grade vf-35 examples of even common dates

matched date and grade with original grey examples can be a challenge.
  • Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    I filled the same holder a few years ago. I went for variety: all of the mints, no stars, legend on obverse, arrows and rays, etc. It was great fun and didn't cost all that much in nice circulated grades.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

Originally posted by: Twobitcollector

These would be a good start

Nice budget-friendlier alternative, but...

Been there, done that. That's where my forum title comes from. image

My old default avatar of the Holey Coin Vest and Holey Gold Hat:

Originally posted by: SamByrd

Really great holder.

I would toss out there go with a date specific set.

it can be tough to find real nice for grade vf-35 examples of even common dates

matched date and grade with original grey examples can be a challenge.

Cool idea, and no doubt challenging, but perhaps a little more challenge than I want.

That's one reason I'm gonna shoot for this simple 7-piece set for a year or so, and not commit to the bigger 7070 set or the Littleton 19th century set (I like the latter- nice new albums- but they include the Draped Bust coins and I have not got the gumption to chase those smaller Draped Busts like the half dime and dime again. Did it in 2000.)

Originally posted by: Jackthecat1

I filled the same holder a few years ago. I went for variety: all of the mints, no stars, legend on obverse, arrows and rays, etc. It was great fun and didn't cost all that much in nice circulated grades.

That pretty much sums up the current plan. I agree. Will try for variety, but since I'm also after a specific look (original grey CircCams), I will also take what I can find and afford, first and foremost.

All of these suggestions go to show just how versatile this one little plastic holder is. I like that. Lots of options.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan

My latest newp.

Now let's see what happens next. image

Goal: VF-XF original grey coins with "Circulation Cameo" contrast.

Last thing my already strained and minuscule budget needed was another distraction, but this looks appealing and doable over a year or two.

And won't require the longterm commitment of a Dansco 7070 or Littleton 19th Century type album.

A small-focus sideline. Why not.

Nice little set to start. Try doing all no stars.....that would be neat.image

• thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess you could search for all Civil War dates with at least one of all the mint marks represented if desired ( skipping the rare 1861 Confederate reverse Half Dollar of course), but a set of VF-XF original grey coins with "Circulation Cameo" contrast sounds fun and challenging all by itself. image
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • TheDukeKTheDukeK Posts: 359 ✭✭✭
    You could do all Chinese Copy's lol
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a fun project!
    And now, with the holder on its way, I have purchased the first coin to go in it. image

What do y'all think of this one in comparison to FadeToBlack's example above?

I like that mine is just a shade lighter. They look like they're almost the same grade?

I paid more for mine than he did for his, though. For the money, his is no doubt better.

I'm happy with mine, though. image

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

And now, with the holder on its way, I have purchased the first coin to go in it. image

nice one. look forward to the rest.

used to beat people over the head about the awesomeness of the grungy coins. eventually they came around.

are you imaging your own coins, for a while now, perhaps?

they are/have been pretty good.

wanted to say you are a good numis-ambassador with all the bringing together and activities you do.

keep it up. image

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

That quarter is a very good start.

• ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wanted to say you are a good numis-ambassador with all the bringing together and activities you do.

Yes he is....and some really neat collections and ideas! Plus a lot of fun posts. Yap money search is one of my all time favorite threads!

K
    ANA LM
    Love that Quarter!
    Originally posted by: LanceNewmanOCC

nice one. look forward to the rest.

used to beat people over the head about the awesomeness of the grungy coins. eventually they came around.

are you imaging your own coins, for a while now, perhaps?

they are/have been pretty good.

keep it up. image

Thanks!

And no, I'm just usually buying from sellers who provide better images, is all. image

I do have to image some myself, and like the proverbial blind pig rooting for acorns, I'll occasionally produce a decent image, but most of the time my pictures range from marginal to just-acceptable.

Originally posted by: ElKevvo

Yes he is....and some really neat collections and ideas! Plus a lot of fun posts. Yap money search is one of my all time favorite threads!

K

Thanks again. The live search for the Yap stones in my grandmother's old yard by two Florida CU members was a classic. "Operation Stone Holey", it was called. Happened at exactly the same time I learned of my layoff in the 2008 recession, so it provided some much needed amusement at the time.

I told my Dad about it (since it was his mother's old yard, after all), and he just shook his head sadly and said I was nuts. (He was correct, of course- I am- but at least it entertains me and occasionally others.)

Too bad the new search engine sucks so bad. I might have to go dig that thread up. I'm sure most of the pictures are dead by now, but it would be fun to revisit.

• jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like that quarter. A matching set like that will be very nice.
    COUNTERFEIT!!!

(just kidding) image

Very nice coin! I like that look, too!
    Add a nice little "crusty" 1876-S dime with the right "CircCam" contrast.

The price was right on this one. It was FREE! Forum member "Chumley" saw this thread and just sent it to me, out of the blue! Thanks, Chumley!

I have thought about trying to find "sleeper" dates for this set (in other words, coins with low mintages- like under 500K- that don't catalog for much more than a common date). But actually finding these sleeper dates with the right look (and finding ones which are actually priced in line with Red Book or Numismedia trends) has proven difficult so far. So for now, I'm content with common dates. And I have two of the four mints covered. I have my eye on an O-mint half, so if I buy that later, I'll just need a CC coin to have all the mints. I'll probably try for a CC Trade dollar and go with common dates for the 20c piece and Seated dollar.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ElKevvo

K

• pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

No thanks!
    But it would be nice to have all the various mints (P, S, O, CC) represented.

Originally posted by: TopographicOceans
    All Love Tokens image

I thought of that. It could happen.
    In fact, it could be a good repository for type duplicates
    sfrom my "oddball" collection. Not a bad idea at all.

Originally posted by: MWallace
    All Potty coins? image

Not a chance!
    Though I've heard they exist for all the Seated denominations,
    I have yet to see a "potty" engraving on anything other than a Trade dollar.
    That would be tougher than an all-CC set!

All it would take is a good engraver.image
    Paul
    A very crusty half dime joins the group. May be too dark for some folks' taste, but I think I'll like it just fine.

I also like that it's an early one. I think the No Stars and the earlier No Drapery Miss Liberties like this are much more graceful than her fat-armed, steroid-abusing appearance by the 1840s or so.

These are the pictures I have to work with so far.

I assume this is the Large Stars variant?

I'm into it for about Redbook VF money, which seems OK, as it looks XF-ish to me, and the price more than doubles from VF to XF.

There's a little hit on the B in LIBERTY, and a tiny rim nick at 6:00 on the obverse, but not too bad, I think. Both quite acceptable in my book.

The reverse picture is a tiny bit distorted 'cause I changed the aspect ratio to match the obverse pic. I'll likely try to make more pics later, when the coin is in hand.

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

That would be quite challenging for the half dime. :-)
  • erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats a cool idea in a neat holder!
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check out that 1857 quarter more closely in the eagle's eye. Looks like it could be partially filled in with a die flaw or something. Pirate Parrot?
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
    Nice half dime! image
  • CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice idea and awesome aditions
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
    Originally posted by: roadrunner

Check out that 1857 quarter more closely in the eagle's eye. Looks like it could be partially filled in with a die flaw or something. Pirate Parrot?

I noticed that too, but don't really know what's going on there?

Originally posted by: FadeToBlack

Slow down! Ha.

I got my 1/2 dime in, haven't had time to image it, been busy prepping for a big life change.

Oh, don't worry. Pretty soon I'm gonna run out of stuff that comes with a two-figure price tag and the climb will get steeper. Those dollars will slow me down just fine, and even the 20c.

Hope your life change is a positive one, FTB.

CoinZip- thanks for the virtual montage!

I see I have some color variation going on, but some of that may be an artifact of the various source photos.

I guess I can live with that. I'll have to take a real picture of the coins together in the frame, all under the same light source.

Sold some love tokens and scraped up the money to make an offer on this one.

So a Trade dollar joins the flock. It has some tiny ticks and scuffs which in my opinion are totally consistent with a circ in this grade and are toned over, and therefore completely acceptable to me. Also noted is a rim hit at 2:00 on the reverse.

I solicited TDN's advice before going for this one, and he deemed it authentic, said the rim bump might give it 50/50 odds for a straight grade at a TPG (which might or might not happen later- it's fine for my Capital Plastics holder right now), and he agreed that the toning is very nice for a circ.

That toning of course was the selling point. Despite the rim bump and a slight glitch during the eBay negotiations, I am of the personal opinion that this one has dead-bang perfect CircCam toning, and I had to have it. Sure, it's the most common date- despite the seller calling it a "RARE KEY DATE" (sic)- haha- but it's got "the" look!

So that just leaves...

The 20c piece (have a couple watchlisted but no firm prospects- that will likely be the second-to-last purchase for the set).

The half dollar (I have my eye on one, but some eBay sales will have to happen before I go for it.)

The Seated dollar (I'm not even really looking hard at those yet. That will almost certainly be the last hole filled in this set.)

Really scraped the bottom of the barrel and shook the piggybank empty to make this Trade dollar happen, so it's time to list some more stuff on eBay and go back to scrounging for funds. Such is the story of my hobby.

I like the look of your Trade $. It fits in nicely with your set.

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whoa, this is all happening in real time, and fast!
    Originally posted by: SeattleSlammer

Whoa, this is all happening in real time, and fast!

It's just temporarily in the forefront of my attentions, that's all.

The remaining Seated dollar is gonna slam on the brakes pretty firmly and force me to cool my jets for a while, I fear.

• MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a great matched set so far.

I look forward to seeing it to it's completion.
    Nice set so far.....keep on keeping on!
    The 1838 half dime arrived today, hilariously and absurdly mummified in enough bubble wrap to ship a Ming vase in.

In hand, it looks terrific to me- not nearly so brownish as in the photos above. Much more that nice natural grey.

I suspect maybe the white balance was off in the seller's pics.

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trade dollar-- me like!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file