Home U.S. Coin Forum

Showcase Show-Off

BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
The members of the forum are the custodians of some amazing coins. Show off your Showcases with your favourite coins organised by type, denomination, theme or pure randomness.

Show-off your showcase and favourite coin in the showcase

Here is my current ever expanding project (tip of the hat to Mr Agre and Mr Lustig) or what started as a few 8 reales and is now evolving into a denomination set of everything Latin American or connected to it.

Reales, Soles, Pesos & Escudos

imageimage

Comments

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful group and fascinating designs.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like gold no matter what country it comes from..... very nice indeed. Cheers, RickO
  • CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Humbly, my only "showcase" coin

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gorgeous half.65?
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Showcase? Hmmm, I can't hold a candle to many forum members with their awesome coins,
    but this is one of my faves, as it's a desirable coin in a desirable grade and holder, that I'm sure even the most jaded dealers on the bourse would
    still make an offer on:

And I like this one, as it's my only true 'green copper' large cent - and I don't see many of these around anywhere - and it's in an old rattler holder:

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: grip

Gorgeous half.65?

OGH 58

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
    I like those 53-O halves when you can find them in the higher grades - These are much tougher than the Philly issue. Unfortunately the profit motive always creeps in and I wind up selling them. The toning on that one is gorgeous.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There aren't any coins in my collection that can compare in importance to some of what will surely be posted here. Despite that, these suit me and represent the sort of stuff that I acquire when I can find it. A couple of them are highly graded in their respective series, but hopefully even the ones in common grades have uncommon qualities:

• JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BryceM, I'm in love with that standing liberty image
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hammered.
  • USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: JohnnyCache

I agree, best coin out of the lot IMO.

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: USMarine6

I agree, best coin out of the lot IMO.

I love it too! I remember I was just a bit too late to the show when that one came available. Im still looking for a nice T1 for my type set.

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic southern gold. Really outstanding with great skin and fantastic detail. I don't think people realize how hard they are to find like that. The 41-D had a mintage of 4,164 with maybe 75 extant. The 57-D had a mintage of only 2,364 pieces with maybe 100-150 extant coins - perfect stars, near-perfect denticles. What a great coin!

The 1917 SLQ came from Tom Bush. I stumbled on it one evening while perusing a few dealer's sites. I wasn't really actively looking for a type I SLQ, but then, suddenly I was. image
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Showcase of my TrueViews:

My TrueView Coins

For me I love them all but this would have to be my favorite:

PCGS AU55

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I now have 4 showcases, three of which are published. Two links below are to those showcases.
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

• TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    That's a great album
  • While not as eye appealing as Brian's gold 4 escudos, this is my latest pick-up.

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Show-off your showcase and favourite coin in the showcase"

You've been in Europe too long! imageimage
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TomB

"Show-off your showcase and favourite coin in the showcase"

You've been in Europe too long! imageimage

Haha wrote the post from my UK mobile and corresponding spell checker
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These would arguably be my "Top Five".

As you can see I am primarily a World and Ancients guy but I love US type coins, too.

Ancient Greece (Thessaly), silver "Rhodian Mercenaries" drachm struck by King Perseus of Macedon, ca. 175-170 BC

(NGC Ch MS, Strike 5/5, Surface 5/5)

Ancient Roman Empire: orichalcum sestertius of Hadrian, struck ca. 134-138 AD

(Presently raw, not gone to NGC yet; ex-Boston Museum of Fine Arts)

England (Anglo-Saxon): silver penny of Aethelred II, struck ca. 997-1003 AD

(PCGS MS63)

Great Britain: gilt proof halfpenny of George III, Soho Mint, 1806

(PCGS PR65 DCAM)

United States: gold 5-dollar half-eagle, Liberty Head type, 1842-D (small date)

(PCGS VF30 OGH, CAC)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

+1

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boosibri- is that 4-escudo in the OP in NGC plastic, and if so, how were you able to register it on this side of the street? I see white prongs.

I'd do a showcase with my Box of 20, but it is a mixed PCGS and NGC set.

Everything here is eyecandy, but here are two that caught my eye the most so far:

BryceM's:

If I have seen a more beautiful SLQ than that before, I don't remember it.

Fivecents':

Egads! My jaw dropped so hard, my chin hit the desk. What's the grade on that moose?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    lordm, that silver drachm is awesome - it's like an ancient medal!

• fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan
    Boosibri- is that 4-escudo in the OP in NGC plastic, and if so, how were you able to register it on this side of the street? I see white prongs.

I'd do a showcase with my Box of 20, but it is a mixed PCGS and NGC set.

Everything here is eyecandy, but here are two that caught my eye the most so far:

BryceM's:

If I have seen a more beautiful SLQ than that before, I don't remember it.

Fivecents':

Egads! My jaw dropped so hard, my chin hit the desk. What's the grade on that moose?

AU58 LordM.
    Bought it at a local coin show newly graded from an old collection where it had been raw. Paid the dealer $650.
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan

It was originally in a NGC 64 and crossed over to a PCGS 64.

A few of the coins in my showcase are in ngc plastic. To allow for inclusion in the album I just search the Internet for as close an example that I can find to my coin in PCGS plastic and add it to inventory.

For example my Argentinian Sol is a 66 not a 62 or whatever it shows and my Spanish 4 reale is a 63 and not a 40.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One showcase set -- my Prime Number Set.

Fun to put together. Not sure what the favorites are, but I do quite like Rosa:

• SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have my showcase website sorted roughly by most to least favorite: Colosseo Collection

It's hard to call some of your babies ugly but I do have favorites :-)
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only have one so far, some of my toned Morgans:

My Showcase

Need to add a few more since I last worked on it.
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    oih82w8's Box of 20 Varieties

Updated to include my latest entry 1908 1C MPD FS-301 S-4 MS65BN (I still believe that it is RB instead of BN) image

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...m.aspx?showcaseid=1925
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just finished my Showcase of Early Commemorative coins.

Johnson's Early Commemorative Showcase

• boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My dollar type

Classic Dollar Type
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great thread!
  • stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    great coins everyone! i guess this is mine. i was just looking at it and it came back with a new green label and trueview recently:

Two other Showcases...

1842 Half Eagle Transitional Varieties

imageimage

World Coins in Early America

Gold Favorite

Silver Favorite

Copper Favorite

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

• AmazonXAmazonX Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Dollar Collection

A hard time picking a favorite

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TDN that is so amazing no one else dares to post image

BryceM thanks for the kind words on my 3 D mint QE's. You have some coins that have reached perfection, Wow! image

And everyone, some amazing coins all, thanks Boosi for starting this thread, these are always fun.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭✭✭

A hard time picking a favorite

Seems to me the 1795 Brand Knoxville Morelan or the 1800 Fairfield Morelan would be pretty good places to start. Godzilla and King Kong...

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file