Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dimeman's STL show report......

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well, I almost didn't get there due to road construction. But finally get there with time to spare for the opening bell at 10:00.

Started by going to table 1701 to meet forum member MorganDollar1878. Had a good talk with him and headed to row 100 to start my row by row checking every table for Dime varieties and also looking at Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels....my latest new interest.

I found lots of nickels I liked, but decided to wait until I walked the whole floor before I spent my money just in case I found something I wanted more.

Well, after breaking for lunch at 1:00 and not buying anything I resumed walking the floor and got to the second to last row and struck gold. I Cherrypicked a 1934-D/D FS501 in PCGS65FB! This will be the only FB of this variety and the highest grade of this variety and replace my PCGS55!!!!!

Then I Cherrypicked a real nice 1946-S/S FS502 in a NGC66 soap bar holder that should 66 or even 67 at PCGS and may FB. And it has real beautiful color to boot!! This will replace my 65FB.

Then I found a real nice 1921 Canadian Dime raw that should 55 or 58 at PCGS.

It sure pays to wait when you have limited $$$ to spend at a show.

All in all I had a great day!!!

Comments

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the cherrypicks. Always nice to find something that will improve your set.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    A good hunt yields good results image
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a great trip congrats!

I am always amazed at the road construction in that state.
  • Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭
    I love coin show reports.
    WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're the man, DIMEMAN!

Good for you!

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

gratz.

u raised the bar quite a bit on that one!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love your enthusiasm for dimes
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DIMEMAN

Then I found a real nice 1921 Canadian Dime raw that should 55 or 58 at PCGS.

At first I was thinking whoa- you'd picked up one of the killer Canadian rarities, but now I remember that's the 1921 half dime (i.e., silver 5-cent piece.)

Glad you had fun. It's been far too long since I've done a show.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Barndog

Love your enthusiasm for dimes

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a great day! I wish that I could attend more shows than I do.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    Nice show report. I follow your strategy of walking the whole floor before making a purchase, but I have been burned by coming back to an empty slot where the coin I wanted resided an hour before.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice report, thanks for sharing!

I follow your strategy of walking the whole floor before making a purchase, but I have been burned by coming back to an empty slot where the coin I wanted resided an hour before.

This is fine when hunting generics, bullion, or when you have a wide range of interests.
    When I spot something legitimately scarce that I need for a set, and the price is reasonable, I pull the trigger immediately.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭
    You are the DIMEMAN! Congrats on the additions! Now I need a few hits with my Jeffersons!
  • Options
    dunerlawdunerlaw Posts: 387 ✭✭
    Congratz on the 1934d/d
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Walkerguy21D
    Nice report, thanks for sharing!

I follow your strategy of walking the whole floor before making a purchase, but I have been burned by coming back to an empty slot where the coin I wanted resided an hour before.

This is fine when hunting generics, bullion, or when you have a wide range of interests.
    When I spot something legitimately scarce that I need for a set, and the price is reasonable, I pull the trigger immediately.

I only wait if it is a side interest or something I already have. If it is something I have been looking for I pull the trigger also.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on those finds. I admire your diligence and enthusiasm!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You did well... .your enthusiasm is evident. Nice to find treasures at a show.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats Jon.

You do Have some great Eyes for these Dimes and it just shows that going to The Shows just opens up more advantage to finding all these varieties besides Ebay....

Enjoy image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is all the fun, isn't it? The treasure hunt, and to be alert to the specimen that's not frequently looked it because of the holder or other inconsequentials. Way to go!
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done Jon!

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats. Going to shows and hunting for cherries is fun. You did well. I have my radar focused on a cherry pick and hope it falls in my lap.

Now my important question for you is: How are the Cowboys going to do this year?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: 1tommy
    Congrats Jon.

You do Have some great Eyes for these Dimes and it just shows that going to The Shows just opens up more advantage to finding all these varieties besides Ebay....

Enjoy image

Yes, some varieties are very hard to tell on-line from a pic. Much better to be there.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: SanctionII
    Congrats. Going to shows and hunting for cherries is fun. You did well. I have my radar focused on a cherry pick and hope it falls in my lap.

Now my important question for you is: How are the Cowboys going to do this year?

I will tell you after the first 4 games.image

Pretty much depends on which Romo shows up, which is scary in it's self!

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey DIMEMAN, congrats on your coin scores, I know it's quite a rush and thrill to spot and buy those varieties, sounds like some awesome upgrades, looking forward to the pics

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Jackthecat1

Nice show report. I follow your strategy of walking the whole floor before making a purchase, but I have been burned by coming back to an empty slot where the coin I wanted resided an hour before.

Been there, done that. image

Cool report, but the rest depends on how many collarbones Romo has left.

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dimeman, it was great talking to you at the show. Thanks for stopping by my table, and congrats on the cherry picks. I found a couple washington quarter varieties for my set as well. One is an upgrade for the type b Rev set, and the other was an example I did not have yet, a 49 d rpm. I'm sure we'll meet again, until then happy hunting.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    Originally posted by: morgandollar1878
    Dimeman, it was great talking to you at the show. Thanks for stopping by my table, and congrats on the cherry picks. I found a couple washington quarter varieties for my set as well. One is an upgrade for the type b Rev set, and the other was an example I did not have yet, a 49 d rpm. I'm sure we'll meet again, until then happy hunting.

Nice meeting you too. Enjoyed talking coins. Glad you found some quarters for your collection.

Are your quarters on the Registry?

• Options

Nice meeting you too. Enjoyed talking coins. Glad you found some quarters for your collection.

Yes, I have a registry set for them. The complete variety set from 32-64 is going to keep me busy for quite some time, especially since I am trying to find the varieties in MS63 or better. One day I will get them all photographed so images can also be seen for each.
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

How funny and wish I would have made that show. Mike has the number 10 set 2 spots above mine.

Never Met but have to say Nice Set Mike and congrats on the Washington quarters.

I really enjoy building that Set Too.....Jon here is the link to The registry Set were in.....

Enjoy Tom

The Washington Quarter Variety Sets........

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: 1tommy

How funny and wish I would have made that show. Mike has the number 10 set 2 spots above mine.

Never Met but have to say Nice Set Mike and congrats on the Washington quarters.

I really enjoy building that Set Too.....Jon here is the link to The registry Set were in.....

Enjoy Tom

The Washington Quarter Variety Sets........

Thanks 1tommy for the comments on the set. I'm sure that we will meet sometime if you come to a St. Louis area show. We have done two shows there now and we enjoy being there. I know we will be back there again in September for a one day show.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file