Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I thought $3 gold coins were created for buying 100 3c stamps

However there seems to be much more to that story

I had posted this deep in the bowels of another thread, but thought it was interesting on it's own.

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting article! Thanks for sharing!
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The dies were received in Dahlonega with the instructions to strike as needed for demand. 1120 were produced on the first day and no more were ever struck. I am fortunate to have two in my collection.

Interesting article.

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still get excited when I see this one!

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like the $3 design...wish I could find one...many of the dates that I want come with a very weak strike on the reverse....
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 4 dollar replaced it.

Algthough not QUITE as popular, it had different hairdos.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my favorite coins:

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    STOP THIS THREAD!

I just SOLD my only three. image
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of these days...
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: oih82w8

One of these days...

• Options
    AmazonXAmazonX Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭
    Not the greatest photos, but better than nothing. The 1879 is proof like.

photo 365139-3_zps7dqzm8ej.jpg

photo 365139-4_zps5humgg94.jpg

photo 1-25-16a039_zpsnkny4tdk.jpg

photo 1-25-16a044_zpsstekoeuq.jpg
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought $3 gold coins were created for buying 100 3c stamps

I have 100 3 cent stamps that I will be happy to trade for your $3 gold! image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    oldlinecoinsoldlinecoins Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    JJSingleton-

My lord, the color on that AU58 is absolutely outstanding. Congrats
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great article and some really, really nice gold coins in this thread.... I need to get one of these.

Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Originally posted by: topstuf

STOP THIS THREAD!

I just SOLD my only three. image

oh no!

• Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like the look and strike of that 1878...wish I could find the same in the dates that I'm looking for...all are super nice...thanks for posting your photos!!!

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't think that many people needed 100 stamps in the mid 1800's.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Flatwoods

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to Roger Burdette the $3 gold coin was authorized because it fit in as a convenient denomination within the other denominations of gold coins. Obviously that idea never caught on, and the coin was made in limited numbers at the Philadelphia Mint until 1889.

My opinion is that the gold lobby probably pushed for it as new use for their products in addition to the convenience angle.

As for the silver three cent piece, I believe that one of its uses was to buy the new three cent postage stamps. In 1851, when the trime was authorized, you would have needed three large cents to buy a postage stamp or would have gotten back two large cents when you paid for the stamp with a half dime or any other coin. Large cents were not circulating very well by 1851, so the trime made sense.

The trime was also used to redeem underweight Spanish silver coins which were still legal tender. People found that if they submitted badly worn Spanish dollars to the mint for re-coinage they were getting more silver in return. The trime was the first U.S. coin that frankly billed as a "token coinage." In other words there were no government claims that the trime had three cents worth of silver in it. Therefore those who deposited those worn Spanish dollars were prevented from making a profit on the transaction.

Here is my highest grade #3 gold type coin. NGC called it MS-64.

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: JJSingleton
    The dies were received in Dahlonega with the instructions to strike as needed for demand. 1120 were produced on the first day and no more were ever struck. I am fortunate to have two in my collection.

Interesting article.

way cool, i like.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking coins in this thread
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, overall a good article, but somewhat difficult to read, as much of the language although it makes sense when you read it a couple of times, makes me think it could have used a bit of editing for clarity since some of the sentences were run ons and would probably benefit from some rearrangement and punctuation, I wrote this sentence in similar style as an illustration of what I'm talking about, as I had a bit of fun reading the article and writing this reply.

Here's a quote from the article: "They did not return with peace as it was roughly 15 years or more before gold coins would appear again in any numbers in circulation at least in the East and even then things were not the same as the public in some parts of the country had begun to make a transition to using bank notes for their convenience and not carting around large numbers of gold coins, so what gold coins there were in many cases sat in vaults serving as backing for Gold Certificates and indirectly National Bank Notes. "

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only "Threeagle" I've ever owned was on my onetime trademark Holey Gold Hat.

It was a bit of a train wreck, I'm afraid, though interesting.

There was once a counterstamp on the obverse which was subsequently almost obliterated by the person who sought to murder this coin (and mostly succeeded).

But hey, I only had 160 bucks in it. And I was told the 1860 issue is something of a "sleeper".

I was never able to decipher the counterstamp, which is too bad.

I sort of wish I still had this coin. I could count it as a "love token" for inclusion in my current "Oddball" set.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BillJones

According to Roger Burdette the $3 gold coin was authorized because it fit in as a convenient denomination within the other denominations of gold coins. Obviously that idea never caught on, and the coin was made in limited numbers at the Philadelphia Mint until 1889.

My opinion is that the gold lobby probably pushed for it as new use for their products in addition to the convenience angle.

As for the silver three cent piece, I believe that one of its uses was to buy the new three cent postage stamps. In 1851, when the trime was authorized, you would have needed three large cents to buy a postage stamp or would have gotten back two large cents when you paid for the stamp with a half dime or any other coin. Large cents were not circulating very well by 1851, so the trime made sense.

The trime was also used to redeem underweight Spanish silver coins which were still legal tender. People found that if they submitted badly worn Spanish dollars to the mint for re-coinage they were getting more silver in return. The trime was the first U.S. coin that frankly billed as a "token coinage." In other words there were no government claims that the trime had three cents worth of silver in it. Therefore those who deposited those worn Spanish dollars were prevented from making a profit on the transaction.

Here is my highest grade #3 gold type coin. NGC called it MS-64.

imageimage

Speaking of the trime and the convenience of its use in purchasing three cent postage stamps, I have always assumed that the convenience was for the post office's sake rather than the individual people buying stamps. It was no big deal for an individual to carry in three large cents, but at the end of the day the post office had to deal with all those large cents that had come in. Wouldn't you rather carry 100 trimes to your local bank than 300 large cents?

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    south park likes 1863 $3:

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Flatwoods

There were certainly large merchantile estsblishments that would have sent dozens of letters per day. And it's not like they had Pitney-Bowes postage meters. But that doesn't seem enough business to justify a coin denomination.
    -----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CaptHenway
    Speaking of the trime and the convenience of its use in purchasing three cent postage stamps, I have always assumed that the convenience was for the post office's sake rather than the individual people buying stamps. It was no big deal for an individual to carry in three large cents, but at the end of the day the post office had to deal with all those large cents that had come in. Wouldn't you rather carry 100 trimes to your local bank than 300 large cents?

You are assuming people bought stamps at the Post Office. 1850s America was still fairly agrarian and most people would have bought the stamp from the mail carrier - perhaps leaving 3 large cents on top of the letter. It wouldn't be the Post Office dealing with the weight, but the poor carrier.
    -----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

The gold $3 was minted in limited quantities for only five years in San Francisco (1855-1857, 1860, and 1870). The story of the most likely unique 1870-S $3 is fascinating and a bit of a mystery.

From CoinFacts:

David Akers (1975/88): This coin is one of the most famous of all U.S. gold coins. The Superintendent of the San Francisco Mint indicated that only a single piece had been struck to be put into the cornerstone of the new mint building. However, a specimen appeared in the William H. Woodin Sale in 1911 and was claimed to be a duplicate of the coin in the cornerstone. It is probable that the two coins are one and the same and today it is widely accepted that the 1870-S three dollar gold piece is unique. The lone piece is in the collection of the late Louis Eliasberg of Baltimore, Maryland. Mr. Eliasberg purchased the coin through Stack's and the Celina Coin Company for $11,500 in January of 1946, the same month in which he purchased the 1854-S half eagle for less than half that amount ($5500). This, of course, was an astonishing price for the period, although it was $2500 less than the amount that Mr. Eliasberg had paid Abe Kosoff for an 1822 half eagle in July of 1945. Prior to being in the possession of Ted and Carl Brandts who owned the Celina Coin Company, the 1870-S was in the Brand Collection.

The unique piece in the Eliasberg Collection is not in choice condition and, in fact, it has the "pebbled" appearance of a coin that has been used as jewelry. There is also minor damage at the obverse rim below the bust, indicating that the coin probably was worn on a key chain or watch fob. The numerals "893" have also been scratched upside down into the reverse field above the wreath. The S mintmark is totally unlike the mintmark on any U.S. coin, in particular the S Mint coins of 1870, lending credence to the story that the mintmark was cut into the die by hand after the die reached San Francisco.

David Hall: The 1870-S three dollar gold piece is unique. The following is the pedigree;

1. Eliasberg- Bass specimen, EF-40 PCGS estimated grade

- H.T. Van Camp (1907?). Advertised in the Numismatist.

- William H. Woodin (?-1911)
    Thomas Elder auction sale of the William Woodin collection (March, 1911). The reserve bid was $1,000 and the coin sold for $1,450.

- Waldo C. Newcomer (1920?-1930's?)

- B. Max Mehl (?). Mehl sold the massive Newcomer collection piecemeal on a consignment basis.

- Celina Coin Company (Ted and Carl Brandts). Advertised in the Numismatist in 1945 for $25,000.

- Stack's (1946) as an agent for Louis Eliasberg

- Louis Eliasberg (1946-1982). Purchased thru Stack's from Celina Coin Company in January, 1946 for $11,500, a huge price at the time.

- Bowers and Ruddy Galleries (Q. David Bowers & James F. Ruddy) auction sale of the Louis Eliasberg collection of U.S. gold coins (October, 1982). The coin brought $687,500, a record price for a U.S. gold coin (and a price tied the next day when the Eliasberg 1822 $5 also brought $687,500).

- Harry Bass (& estate) (1982 to date). Purchased by Harry Bass at the October, 1982 Eliasberg auction for $687,500.

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There were quite a few banks issuing $3 notes in 1853. To people back then it was not an unusual denomination.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat! I bought an 1870 in VF years ago because it was the same date as the legendary 1870-S.

I like to think of it as an 1870-S with a missing mint mark. image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan

I was never able to decipher the counterstamp, which is too bad.

R. R. Marsh.

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
  • Options
    Originally posted by: steveben

Haha that is awesome! Do you know what episode that is from?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: oldlinecoins

man bear pig.

• Options

Originally posted by: oldlinecoins

man bear pig.

thanks!
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leave it to H&C to come up with some goodies. The design on this coin is just great both obv and rev.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to own Longacre's original wax models for the $3, but I sold them to Rick Snow years ago (because the reverse wreath also ended up on the Flying Eagle cent) and he has since sold them.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    @Traz...

awesome $3 piece. you win!! :-)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file