Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Reagan Dollar nicely illustrates a coin design principal.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
It is a bad idea to use a facing forward portrait on a coin.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    I agree wholeheartedly. The appeal just doesn't seem to be there and it doesn't look as professional to me.
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Due to the lack of relief that the US mint has show on current releases, I think a forward facing portrait would look flat and out of proportion.

I think a 3/4 side view would be best to show dept and not require a change in relief.

The drawing proposed for the Reagan dollar is great and shows him at his finest, on a coin it doesn't do much for me.
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    I think he Reagan dollar was one of the worst coins I have seen. The design implementation is a horrible rendition. I would of bought several hundred and used them as change in a retail setting but the coin was just so bad.

It is a terrible dishonor to a great man , at least in my opinion. The US mint puts this tripe out and seems clueless as far as designs on the modern series for the most part.

The op's point is a valid one , profiles seem to better on coins in general.
  • Options
    there are several which aren't profiles, where the portrait is closer to 3/4 view. the one that stands out for me is one of the Grover Cleveland issues, it looks pretty nice. with the Reagan coin what stands out is the eye sockets and the teeth, not very appealing at all. looking at the coins as I 2x2 them it looks somewhere between a skeleton and one of the primate stars of "Planet of The Apes" fame.

I think RR deserved better.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree... the 'face forward' designs look weird and not really a good representation of the individual. Profile is best... although the 3/4 Jefferson is not too bad... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tend to prefer the 3/4 profile if it's well done.
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: keets
    It is a bad idea to use a facing forward portrait on a coin.

Al H.

I generally disagree that it is necessarily a "bad idea", although the Reagan Dollar does leave something to be desired.

It has been noted that there is only so much you can do aesthetically with the portrait of an "old man". This is true. But a skilled sculptor can still create a frontal portrait which works on a coin.

The US Mint's best sculptor is probably Phoebe Hemphill. Her frontal portrait of Van Buren (for example) is perhaps the best that could have been achieved of this face from any angle:
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of Byzantine coins have facing portraits which usually don't wear well.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    Dan, a frontal portrait looks OK when the finish is matte or frosted. when it is brilliant the deep recesses for the eyes and mouth areas are bad in normal lighting. with the Van Buren design, I can hold it at the perfect angle and the appearance is nice. at the wrong angle it is a dark forehead and cheeks, lighter eyes and mouth. I don't think there's any way around that.

as your picture shows, though, straight on light with a matte finish is a pleasing design.
  • Options
    I have not done many frontal portraits (half a dozen or so).
    This one is probably the best and it looks reasonably good from most lighting angles:
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a lesson that the mint has NOT learned, which is that larger than life black & white drawings with fine shadings do not accurately convey the look of the actual coin.
    -----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    not sure who designed this medal but not so bad.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    The Reagan coin doesn't bode well for the future.........I have to wonder how the Mint will manage to accurately portray "The Donald's" subtle orange-tone skin shading & white "raccoon eyes", as well as fit his wind-blown yellow pompadour, on the dollar coin - - if and when his time comes!
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Lincoln coin suffers from the same problem. That thing looks like it goes with Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter after Abe went over to the other side and became "a good vampire" who was out killing bad vampires.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: 1Mike1
    not sure who designed this medal but not so bad.

That is the 1981 official Reagan inaugural medal. I suppose it's okay, but I think that it could have been better. Reagan was a movie actor and was photogenic even in his later years.

Here is the 1985 Reagan - Bush medal which I think looks a bit better.

imageimage

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: keets
    Dan, a frontal portrait looks OK when the finish is matte or frosted. when it is brilliant the deep recesses for the eyes and mouth areas are bad in normal lighting. with the Van Buren design, I can hold it at the perfect angle and the appearance is nice. at the wrong angle it is a dark forehead and cheeks, lighter eyes and mouth. I don't think there's any way around that.

as your picture shows, though, straight on light with a matte finish is a pleasing design.

I pretty much thought the same thing when I first saw the Mint's picture of the Reagan coin. However, I recently picked up a Reagan coin and medal set and the coin in hand isn't nearly as bad as the "official" Mint picture. In fact, I would say it's about average as presidential dollars go.

In my experience, this has happened with other modern issues. The picture looks bad, but the coin in hand looks much better. Something tells me the Mint should look more closely at whoever they are outsourcing this work to (assuming they are). Hard to believe such an important marketing tool is being overlooked.

Edited to read: My point is that criticizing pictures of coins can be risky... much better to have the coin in hand before passing judgment.
    Robert
  • Options
    my assessment is based on holding the coin(s) discussed here at my desk at work under typical lighting. also, customers have tended to say the same thing. the entire series is sort of peculiar to me because I like the depictions of the earlier Presidents more than the later ones.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: BStrauss3
    There is a lesson that the mint has NOT learned, which is that larger than life black & white drawings with fine shadings do not accurately convey the look of the actual coin.

I agree. It is ridiculous to take a photograph of a modern president, do a pencil drawing of it with shading under the nose, chin, etc., review and choose designs based on such drawings, and then digitally sculpt from such a drawing. There are too many losses in translation.

For the pending WW1 commemorative dollar, however, the US Mint is taking a different approach. Designs will be submitted and reviewed in 3-D sculpted form.
  • Options
    I think the process of using design by committee is a failure and has hurt the programs where it is used. there is hope, though, since several of the most recent Commemorative issues have been very appealing with traditional leaning designs. overall, the artists and the designers involved aren't bad, it's the selection process which needs improvement.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file