Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is the best non-numismatic collectible you have seen?

If you are a numismatic nut you meet other collectors and you quickly find out other collectors have other interest beyond putting together a Seated Dollar set.

I, as many of you surely have, run across a lot of guns. Most are pretty standard "prepper" types who have piles of firearms but I have run into quite few who were really into collectible firearms and one in Colorado who had quite literally turned his basement into a massive display of his prized firearms including at least a dozen blunderbusses.

I also had couple that collected African tribal art. It is strange to see a guy in rural Southern Indiana have a farm house stuffed with that stuff.

I have plans....sometimes

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could get into collecting art or antique maps and manuscripts.

I'd imagine the list of cool non-numismatic collectibles is nearly infinite.

I had a collection of antique local postcards from my home town going for a while.

As to the African tribal art, we lived in Tanzania when I was a child and brought back some Masai woodcarvings. I had a chess set where the "knights" were giraffes and the "castles" were grass huts and the kings and queens and pawns were all quite fierce looking. I'm sorry I sold that several years back.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    PS- my teenaged daughter Victoria was reading over my shoulder and said, "BOOKS!" and "Christmas lights and string lights"! (So there you have it from a 14-year-old girl.)

Oh, also- we are fortunate enough to live in a place (coastal GA) where we can go out to the dredge spoil heaps and find fossil shark teeth. Check out the monster megalodon my buddy found. The brute who lost this one would've made Jaws look like a minnow!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is so cool LM! image
  • Options
    That's a thousand-dollar tooth, easy, because it's not only HUGE, but it's in great shape (usually they come up chipped or cracked or broken from the dredge), and it's also a "pathological", meaning there are areas on both sides (most visibly the right near the root) where the shark bit into something a bit too crunchy (whale bone, possibly) and the damage later healed.

I haven't found any remotely that nice, but I have found a couple of big 'uns and some big partial Megs, plus a number of other cool species. It's fun, and unlike metal detecting, which I also love, it doesn't take any special equipment. Just an attentive set of eyes.

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love my wacky packs! image
  • Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Old flint lock muskets from pre-civil war.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many years ago while appraising an inherited coin 'collection' (really just a large old accumulation) for an acquaintance from work, I mentioned something about
    arrow heads, and his eyes lit up. Turns out he was a third generation collector (and he was ~60) of Indian artifacts, and actually had built a room onto his
    home to showcase the large collection the family had amassed over the years, mostly from the Midwest and Southwest. Thousands of spear points and other stone tools, but also some rare ceremonial pieces, carvings, a full chief's headdress stored in a large glass bell jar, some sort of club or weapon carved from petrified wood with symbols engraved in it, even a few human bones with broken spear points lodged in them (yes they came from burial mounds, that were excavated for a highway being built many decades previously). The collection was dispersed about 15 years ago.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    I think that if I was to start a new field of collecting that it would be antique tools.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭

Better yet a love token on a Megalodon Tooth
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    You're playin' some of my favorite tunes, Musky! image

Say, that tooth looks slightly familiar... is that Georgia sand I see in the crevices?

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only hockey memorabilia, as that was a big part of another life a few decades [ image ] ago.

This covered my melon in college hockey, and some of the NHL game worn and signed masks from the 1970's-1980's bring 5 figures in the sports collectibles market today. Yours truly built this one, and a few others for some "lodge brothers".

imageimage

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan
    You're playin' some of my favorite tunes, Musky! image

Say, that tooth looks slightly familiar... is that Georgia sand I see in the crevices?

Yes
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Gazes

Okay, I'll bite, what is a wacky pack?

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to collect corvettes. Still looking for my first one,,,,got to be a '58.....

oh well, the fun is in the hunt!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: AUandAG

bobimage

I remember those waaayy back in the day!!

I was about 7 or 8 circa 1974 and I was addicted to those!!

They were like trading cards that had peel off stickers and they made fun (cartoon parody) of brand named products.

i.e. 'Weakies' instead of 'Wheaties' cereal.

I bought them and traded them like baseball cards. All the kids had them.

Wow, major blast from the past!!!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All of the farms near me had shoeboxes stuffed with Native American artifacts. My favorite was a flint carved into a spread-winged eagle.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,290 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy Pioneer/Territorial gold and also collect white ironstone.

This piece has crossover appeal since it dates to the 1850-60 period, Gothic, white English ironstone. Whalley was an early importer to the California market. Unusual to find a piece that is so intact with matching marks on the base and lid.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to collect corvettes. Still looking for my first one,,,,got to be a '58.....

oh well, the fun is in the hunt!

bobimage

I can think of another year you might try.

I picked up a chainsaw at an estate, wanted someone to check it out turns out I got a collectible chainsaw and the guy who worked on it collects saws. He has about 130.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My former employer was a big time collector of early American furniture and folk art. Once he asked me to hang a recently purchased antique barometer, circa 1815, on his office wall. Years later I stumbled across a photo of one like it (from the same maker) that was valued in excess of $100K.

Another time after conducting some business in NYC, I accompanied him to Sotheby's where he had consigned some early portrait paintings for auction. In the same sale were several enormous weather vanes, all one of a kind folk pieces, and most of them either eagles or American Indian motifs. The largest was an ornate chief standing with his bow drawn back in the direction of the wind. I found out after the auction that the chief hammered for just under $6 million.

EDIT to add a link to the auction above, the weathervane sold for $5.84MM

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Walkerfan

bobimage

They were like trading cards that had peel off stickers and they made fun (cartoon parody) of brand named products.

No kidding! image Those were great. They were meant to be stuck on lunch boxes.

• Options
    Originally posted by: messydesk

Originally posted by: Walkerfan

bobimage

No kidding! image Those were great. They were meant to be stuck on lunch boxes.

Wacky Packages

I am of a similar age (turned 9 at the end of 1974), and my boy cousins and I thought those were a laff riot. They always had them.

For some reason, I never did. I don't think Mom was a big fan of them.

I'm not surprised they're a popular nostalgia collectible nowadays.

FWIW, I never had a bike with a banana seat, either. Or Star Wars figures. Or toy guns (the last were verboten in our household).

Originally posted by: coindeuce

Only hockey memorabilia, as that was a big part of another life a few decades [ image ] ago.

This covered my melon in college hockey, and some of the NHL game worn and signed masks from the 1970's-1980's bring 5 figures in the sports collectibles market today. Yours truly built this one, and a few others for some "lodge brothers".

Bet that mask comes in handy on Halloween nights, particularly if you have some large cutlery or a chainsaw to accessorize with.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The one non-numismatic item that I would have loved to have bought was George Washington's personal copy of The Federalist, hand-annotated by John Jay and James Madison. I saw it at Sotheby's in 1990, where it was estimated at about 400K. I couldn't swing it at the time and didn't bid. Brought $1.43 million, which now seems like a bargain.

I've seen lots of more expensive things offered over the years, including many paintings that brought in the tens of millions, but nothing turned me on like that book.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steam engines, I'll be going to Mauch Chunk, PA on Saturday to take more

http://www.jimthorpe.org/#!town-history/bppdz
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am partial to Antique Rail Road Grade Pocket Watches.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm starting to sell off another collecting past time I had.

Seashells anyone?

This is the only way I am able to link a picture so I hope no one minds.
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always wanted to collect memorabilia from the space program... I've seen some really cool stuff in the Heritage catalogs from the Apollo missions including 11 and 13.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anybody remember the thread (many years ago) where Greg said he collected belly button lint? image I still laugh about that one!
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marbles, old decks of playing cards, hip flasks, lots and lots of firearms... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wacky Plaks:

I believe that the artist worked for Mad Magazine.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the Meg teeth. We've had a few 15+ foot long Great Whites attacking boats out here in CA. lately.

I collect space memorabilia from roughly World War II to the present, but predominantly from the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo era (1961 - 1975). Actually today is a good day for a picture, as 7/20/69 was the first Moon landing and Moon walk. So, on the 47th anniversary...

Here's a US flag that flew on Apollo 11:

Here's a picture of the launch signed by all the Flight Directors for Apollo 11 (Clockwise from upper left: Gene Kranz, Glynn Lunney, Gerry Griffin, Chris Kraft). FWIW, the Saturn V has just gone supersonic, hence the water vapor condensation about halfway along the rocket body.

Here's Buzz giving me the finger. We're discussing a page of the Flight Plan that I own...

• Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    My wife collects Russian lacquer boxes from the Soviet era before the rush was on to mass produce them in the 80's when the Russian Federation took over. Consequently original Soviet boxes are harder to find now.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Old Silver! image
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Firearms are great. Old cars are a habit I look forward to dabbling in someday. I feel, however, that both should be used & enoyed instead of just being looked at. I have a favorite firearm that will be busy on its 100th birthday next year. A guy in my hometown collects WWII era planes and keeps them in a museum...... but it's a "flying museum." We were back home for the 4th of July and it was fun to see them overhead during the parade. He was nice enough to take me up for a spin in one of his P-51 Mustangs a few years back, but that's a story for another day.... I digress. I guess the same sentiment explains my lack of enthusiasm for proof coins. They were never meant to be used for their inherent purpose.

All of that aside, my favorite collection is the one of photos of fun times with family. Really, nothing compares.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an obscene blacklight Disneyland poster circa 1971. Someone made this thing and I grabbed one because I knew Disney would sue the outfit and shut it down (which they did very quickly). Apparently it's worth a few hundred dollars. And no, it's wrapped up and ticked away. The wife would not want it displayed in the house (she has enough problems with the gator head on the wall).
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    CacoinguyCacoinguy Posts: 279 ✭✭✭
    I collect early california paintings , stickley furniture, tiffany studios lamps. My newest collecting passion is actually coins.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been a user of classic screw mount Leica cameras since the early '70s. My collecting passion struck last year and so far have about 10 Leica bodies along with various lenses and accessories. My favorite (and oldest) is this 1930 Leica Model 1A. The nice thing here, unlike coins, is that you can actually USE your collection! This is roughly a 1200$ camera [URL=http://s249.photobucket.com/user/ambro51/media/971CF38E-D012-40B9-91E7-B6792F5AA35F-574-0000015280836AB7_zpsaek8gfod.jpg.html]image[/URL]
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Movie memorabilia.
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coolest fossil I own, a chunk of skull from the Saber-toothed cat Smilodon Fatalis with two hulking teeth beautifully preserved.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just bought myself some spoons... I don't collect then necessarily but do like just about anything old & silver.

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. A blast from the past! My brother used to collect sea shells back in the early 60's. At that time, the Glory of the seas, or Conus gloriamaria, was the most sought after shell in the world with only about 10-20 specimens in collections. Now I just found out that one can purchase one on Ebay for under $20. Large numbers of Conus gloriamaria were found off of the Solomon Islands in 1969, which knocked the price down from thousands of dollars to $12.99 on EBay. I may buy one and surprise my brother. He hasn't collected shells in 50 years but he'll probably still recognize it's characteristic shell markings.

-8AAOSwARZXi4h3">Conus gloriamaria, formerly the rarest shell in the world
    3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    Originally posted by: WillieBoyd2

Wacky Plaks:

I believe that the artist worked for Mad Magazine.

That's Jack Davis.

Yes, he was a founding artist for Mad magazine, and lives here in my hometown. Or lived, rather- I just noticed on the Wikipedia page that he died yesterday! imageimage

My daughter got to meet him last year and got an autographed piece of art- I forget what. Now I'll have to ask her.

Jack Davis, 'MAD' Magazine Cartoonist, Dies at 91

PS- I guess these might be worth buying now, huh.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Barberian

Wow. A blast from the past! My brother used to collect sea shells back in the early 60's. At that time, the Glory of the seas, or Conus gloriamaria, was the most sought after shell in the world with only about 10-20 specimens in collections. Now I just found out that one can purchase one on Ebay for under $20. Large numbers of Conus gloriamaria were found off of the Solomon Islands in 1969, which knocked the price down from thousands of dollars to $12.99 on EBay. I may buy one and surprise my brother. He hasn't collected shells in 50 years but he'll probably still recognize it's characteristic shell markings.

-8AAOSwARZXi4h3">Conus gloriamaria, formerly the rarest shell in the world

There are all kinds of stories circling around about the Glory of the Seas. One of the most famous that was eventually discredited was a Danish Collector who purchased one in auction and immediatedly crushed it so he would still have the only one known.

Another shell that has lost a tremendous amount of value is the Golden Cowrie. This happened because they learned who to raise them in captivity!

There are many other shells that quite the opposite is true. Much of this is due to man causing the extinction of so many species. image

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Jackthecat1

I think that if I was to start a new field of collecting that it would be antique tools.

It is not a new field, I have a small collection of early 20th century hand tools that were my great great grandfather's.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Political memorabilia. Especially posters as I suspect fewer were saved than pin backs

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    The Mona Lisa at the Louvre in Paris, France. It would be an awesome addition to any collection of anything. Any Van Gogh painting would be a very close second.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Purchased in Venice, Italy in 1975, 24K gold:

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suppose, if I were younger, I would get into live steam engine models. I've always enjoyed them.
    I still have quite a shortwave radio collection though......
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fossils are certainly up there, however for really old wouldn't some meteorite rocks be even older? A collection of Moon Rocks would be a prize.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: BG

Purchased in Venice, Italy in 1975, 24K gold:

That's gorgeous.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file