Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

"Numismatic Gladiator" VI (Musky1011 vs PatAR)

WELCOME TO NUMISMATIC GLADIATOR VI!

To see how the earlier competitions went, click here.

1. Both contestants agreed to purchase a single coin from the assigned category.

2. The coin had to cost no more than $20.00 US.

3. In order to avoid either contestant having an advantage, contestants agreed to buy their coins from the same public venue.

4. Shipping was not included in the $20.00 limit.

5. You can now vote on which coin you like best without knowing which coin belongs to whom. That will be revealed at the end.

6. The person whose coin receives the most votes gets bragging rights and a sigline trophy.

(And the cool coin they purchased, obviously.)

This cointest will run until midnight Eastern on Tuesday, July 26, 2016.

Vote for whichever coin appeals to you most.

This need not be the one that is more monetarily valuable. Catalog and/or retail value should be weighed into the decision, of course, but this cointest is about overall desirability - eye appeal, history, design, etc. It is much more about collecting fun than "investment" value.

The coins are presented here in chronological order, in similar sized images (though note that the actual coins themselves may differ widely in physical size).

***FINAL RESULTS*** PatAR was the winner, with Coin B.

Which item do you like better, for the money? (Total Votes: 27)

A- Spain: copper 8-maravedis of Philip IV, Trujillo mint, 1663, @ $20.00

11 votes 40.74 (%)

B- Spain: copper-nickel 50-centimos, 1949(62), Gem BU, @ $13.87

14 votes 51.85 (%)

C- I can't decide- they're both great for the money

0 votes 0.00 (%)

D- Neither- they both suck

0 votes 0.00 (%)

E- I'm totally neutral

2 votes 7.41 (%)

COIN A: Spain: copper 8-maravedis of Philip IV, Trujillo mint, 1663, @ $20.00 from eBay.

NGC/Krause priceguide listing

Message from the gladiator who bought Coin A:

I really have no idea about Spanish coins. I thought this was a cool very early off center coin with a date and bust. No clue who it is.

Commentary from LordM:

It is Philip (Felipe) IV of Spain, who ruled from 1621 to 1665. And it is indeed a cool early coin, struck off-center. I suspect in this case the off-center "error" is not worth much of a premium, because that's fairly common for Spanish minors of this period, at least in my experience. Nonetheless, it's neat, and the coin has decent patina. A cool type, and hey, 353 years old. Not a bad pickup at all for twenty bucks, I think. I had not heard of the mint in Trujillo before. If I did my Google searching correctly, it appears that the mint building in which your coin was struck is still standing!

COIN B: Spain: copper-nickel 50-centimos, 1949(62), Gem BU, @ $13.87 from eBay.

NGC/Krause priceguide listing

Message from the gladiator who bought Coin B:

This Spain 1949(62) 50 centimos is part of the first series of coins that Spain issued after it was once again identified as a kingdom in 1947 and was minted in 1962 during the economic boom in Spain referred to as The Miracle. Its design is quite novel for the time. The stylized coat of arms surmounted by the denomination boldly declares this a coin of the kingdom. The anchor and ship's wheel promote Spain's maritime trade. Although established as a kingdom in 1947 it would be more than 20 years before Franco actually designated a king and only after Franco's death that Spain's modern constitutional monarchy brought greater freedom to the people of Spain.

In 1850 the use of letters as mintmarks was replaced with stars with a varying number of points. A six pointed star indicates Madrid. The practice of placing a tiny mintage date within those mintmark stars (1962 in this case) originated in 1868 and was routinely employed from just after WWII until 1982.

Commentary from LordM:

I really have nothing to add to that excellent summary, except a couple of Wikipedia hyperlinks. As it happens, I did write a little eBay guide about the "secret star" dates on Spanish coins a long time ago. As to this coin, I will say is that that's a neat design I've always liked, and a very attractive BU piece with some nice toning.

So there we have it, folks. 17th century and historically fascinating versus 20th century and pristine. Both have a lot going for them. Which do YOU prefer?

Hats off to our cointestants! May the "best" coin win! imageimage

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Coin bought and I sent you link
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    Coin purchased and link sent!
  • Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    I am looking forward to this competition.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our gladiators have donned their armor and are ready for the arena!

This is going to be a widely divergent contest in terms of how different the two coins are. Perhaps even more than the Canadian contest in NG5 was. The only question is how divergent the votes will be.

As in NG5, I think each of the upcoming NG6 entries may have its own following. Those who prefer higher grade coins will naturally gravitate to Coin B, as that is an attractive Mint State coin.

But the "earlier is more interesting" camp will go for Coin A. Coin A is nearly three centuries older than Coin B.

(Note that the "A" and "B" slots in these games are always assigned by coin chronology, while the order in which the contestants are named in the title is done alphabetically by username.)

I will do my utmost to get the poll up by the wee hours of Tuesday morning, which will be the next time I'm at a real computer with a keyboard and mouse and decent connection.

Here's wishing the best of luck to both of our contestants! I hope it'll be another close race!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan

I will do my utmost to get the poll up by the wee hours of Tuesday morning, which will be the next time I'm at a real computer with a keyboard and mouse and decent connection.

OK, so it ended up being the wee hours of Wednesday morning before I finally got 'round to it, but the OP of this thread has now been updated, and the poll is live!

Let the cointest begin!

• Options
    Oh- I also have a question for those who might be more familiar with the 1663 coin. What is the approximate diameter? The eBay listing and NGC/Krause do not provide that information, and I've never had one of this particular type. I know the early 19th century 8-maravedis pieces are fairly large (i.e., US half-dollar-ish-sized pieces), but what about these? All of the Spanish copper maravedis of this period I've seen have been smaller (like more US-nickel-ish sized at most).

• Options
    I voted for coin 'A.' Age before beauty.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oooh, interesting. I'll wait to cast my vote. Both have their own merits.
  • Options
    Another close race! The older Coin A seems to pull ahead slightly once in a while, then Coin B catches up.

I, like Jack the Cat, chose age before beauty, but not without some long deliberation. Was not an easy decision.

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Coin B is not only about beauty. It also comes with an excellent commentary and links that made me spend two hours reading about 20th century Spanish history.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    6 to 6 now, with one neutral.

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Both good choices, which made it hard to pick.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    B, outstanding example of the type
  • Options
    Coin B pulls ahead, 7 to 9!

• Options
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan

Coin B pulls ahead, 7 to 9!

I don't think so image
  • Options
    Coin A back in the lead, 10 to 9!

This one's a real nail-biter!

• Options
    Great close contest.

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm, in these threads you usually have more history nerds attending, so I'm afraid coin B will suffer an honorable defeat.image

Next one should be allowed to receive real bets! image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: SYRACUSIAN

Hmmm, in these threads you usually have more history nerds attending, so I'm afraid coin B will suffer an honorable defeat.image

Next one should be allowed to receive real bets! image

I think that I fall into the "history nerd" category - and almost kneejerk would have voted for the Philip coin as you suggest - but have ALWAYS liked the design of the 50 cent, think it is a wonderful example of the coin, and voted for it.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both are nice coins with history, but I admit the 50 centimos is one of my top favorites which made for an insurmountable bias on my part in choosing which coin to vote for.

It's the perfect mix of history, has the clean deco-ishness look I love, features the very nautical anchor/wheel (Go Navy!!) and Spain was my last duty station--and one MUST collect SOMETHING from a country you lived in for a couple years.

It's a relatively short series to collect and dating is fun as eBay and other sellers sometimes have no clue where the actual date can be found. There are a couple variants for the first year. The arrows are down facing (mintage of close to a million), up facing (a bit over 8 million) and there is a rare one where the 19 in the lower star was replaced by an E. This was to commemorate an Iberian/Amaerican numismatic event and THAT mintage is 5000, per the Krause powered NGC price guide. That one is the only real difficult coin. The rest are collectible and finding the really nice gems is a worthy hunt.

Love both coins, but if 'B' is for sale, I'm a buyer imageimageimage

• Options
    10 to 10 now, with 2 neutrals.

This is the closest NG contest yet.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like someone just dropped a tie breaking vote...

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I kind of like coin A, but I voted for coin B due to the buyers write-up.

• Options
    Thnx for playingimage

• Options
    Well, this was perhaps the most closely contested NG competition so far, but in the end, the modern coin pulled ahead, and the end result was similar to our "age versus beauty" contest in NG5.

So we now should congratulate PatAR, who bought the 1949 50-centimos piece! image

Congrats, Pat!

NG7 will be a modern (post-1965) contest, World OR US coins, so I'll be recruiting for that over on the Liteside. NG3 was the last time there was a Liteside element to the contests, and that had a $25 price limit, so I think we'll be doing $25 again for NG7. Stay tuned!

• Options
    Congratulations PatAR!

• Options
    Congrats to our newest gladiator! Close one, indeed.
  • Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    Thanks to everyone for the comments and for the chance to play. I really enjoyed it!

I have also become acquainted with a very gracious Musky1011 through PM's. Meeting new folks in the hobby is always a win!
  • Options
    This event in my life has brought to me another friend.. PatAR.. We have a community here.. I have met some awesome people here. I just have not met them on a person to person level.. Thnx Lord M