Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

More action in the Pawn Shop!!

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
We currently have two customers and two Patrolmen in the store, one man already has the bracelets on and is being placed in a Cruiser. I just got the details from my co-worker.

The two were in a Jewelry store in a neighboring City, one guy distracted the clerk while the other reached over and into the counter and stole some merchandise. She caught them in the act and on video but they fled the scene. While the local PD responded to the 911 call the two thieves went to two other locations to get rid of the stolen goods. The second was a shop owned by my boss' wife who sent them to us.

My boss was in his office with two other customers when they arrived. I was in an adjoining room testing some sterling jewelry, so my co-worker Nicole had them at the pay window working on the transaction. Meanwhile, the Police had begun to canvas Pawn Shops and Gold Buyers --- as fate would have it they arrived at our location during the purchase.

I came out onto the floor when I heard something that didn't sound right, just in time to see one guy getting cuffed and the other arguing with the Patrolman. In a few minutes another car arrived, they patted the second guy down and got his ID.

Now the store is clear.

To those who think this is high drama, it is all too routine. I know Pawn Shops get a bad rap sometimes, but as long as we follow the Law, check ID's, submit reports to the PD and hold for the period required there is usually a happy ending. We have had items stolen two states away that were returned to the rightful owner with the thieves apprehended because we did all the above.

I sure wish there was more coin activity!!image

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish I was there to see the crook's expressions!
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    dadamsdadams Posts: 376 ✭✭✭
    I would have tassed them suckers!

Stay safe keets!
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should all be getting hazard pay.
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    is keets packin'?

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stay safe keets.

It is a wild world out there.

• Options
    **Sigh**

I guess I should have expected the Tazer(actually a Stun Gun, there is a difference) jokes seeing as I know the company I keep here, but I digress. FWIW, we are on very good terms with the local Police Departments, they stop in regularly. the two involved in the "tazer incident" haven't showed any concern for what was done. they actually made light of it and told my boss he's too old for that kind of excitement.

to answer the question at hand, I don't carry, but I know where the hardware is kept out of sight. one employee does carry, though.
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bought 2 gold Buffalos from another dealer in NGC MS 70 holders today. What could a guy get at a pawn shop for them ? They're just bullion. I paid too much, I'm sure. image
  • Options
    probably spot +$40.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fair enough.... great service
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I appreciate you telling us these stories.

It would take a special type of person to own or work in a shop.

Sounds like you could never let your guard down.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Book 'em Danno ! (er, uh Al !) image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    High risk job for sure.

I'd be packing....

Glad they caught the crooks, though.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    Between the group, they shot everything except each other.....

this is the problem with most concealed carry laws and the thinking by the majority of citizens that it's good to be armed --- most people are bad shots!!! for a CC license here in Ohio, an individual needs to take a one day course followed by some range time to show that they know how to use their weapon. after that, well, who knows........................

I suspect that the overwhelming majority of permit holders rarely fire their weapon after that. if the time ever comes to use it, they'd more than likely need to see if a round was chambered and where the safety tang is at. don't even get me started about what happens when it comes to drawing down and pulling the trigger on a living human being.

have studies about that stuff ever been done?? fortunately neither of these two guys had a weapon.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Al, studies have been done about that, and the findings quite interesting. In a general aspect, you are right about having to shoot a live person. Most people would not... however, and this is the sad part... today's video games are removing that sensitivity. A good book to read is 'On Killing' by Col. David Grossman. I have a lot of information on the subject - will not take up forum space though...Since I am a tactical handgun trainer, which includes the law, I am thoroughly versed in the topic. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    C0INB0YC0INB0Y Posts: 627 ✭✭

I always carry; always.

In Atlanta, on a MARTA platform in mid-town I was saved by carrying. I never had to draw; when told to give it up, I explained with my hand already on my weapon although I appeared to be reaching for my wallet ..."Jeez..I only have credit cards and my pistol" (a H&K Compact .40 S&W) His eyes now as big as golfballs, the guy then says to me 'oh, sorry man, my mistake' as he slowly backed away towards the stairs. Yeah, I was scared as a bunny, but he never knew it.....

When seconds count, the Police are only minutes Away.....
    I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even with a Laser we only hit the target a couple of times

That issue can be cured by proper training...... Shooting a pistol is not as one sees in the movies... it does take training in stance, grip, sight picture, and trigger pull....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ricko

Even with a Laser we only hit the target a couple of times

That issue can be cured by proper training...... Shooting a pistol is not as one sees in the movies... it does take training in stance, grip, sight picture, and trigger pull....Cheers, RickO

Sounds good on paper, but training CAN'T produce the adrenaline rush that the real thing does. Even worse when the target is shooting back. Hunters have long known it as buck fever. How many times did the Chicago cop who killed that kid hit him out of the 17 or 18 times he fired?

Some are able to control it better than others.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: keets

Between the group, they shot everything except each other.....

this is the problem with most concealed carry laws and the thinking by the majority of citizens that it's good to be armed --- most people are bad shots!!! for a CC license here in Ohio, an individual needs to take a one day course followed by some range time to show that they know how to use their weapon. after that, well, who knows........................

I suspect that the overwhelming majority of permit holders rarely fire their weapon after that. if the time ever comes to use it, they'd more than likely need to see if a round was chambered and where the safety tang is at. don't even get me started about what happens when it comes to drawing down and pulling the trigger on a living human being.

have studies about that stuff ever been done?? fortunately neither of these two guys had a weapon.

Many cops are poor shots too!
  • Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My daughter (aged 26) and her boy friend wanted to learn to shoot a pistol. We went to the range. They started at 25' and finally had to go to 10' before they were hitting a h****n sized silhouette target. They were using a .22 revolver. After about 15 minutes, they were starting to get half way decent.

I took a fresh 8 x 10" target and tacked it to the backer board. It was held on by thumb tacks, but I also 1 in the center. My daughter asked what that was for, and I told her it was for an aiming point. I put it out at 25 meters. I have a Colt .45 ACP in stainless, iron sights, no laser. 1st shot took out the thumb tack in the center. That was luck, but the daughter and BF were stunned. I shot the magazine, and all were in the 10 ring, with 5 of 7, IIRC, cutting the X. All could be covered with a silver dollar.

Not that I am a great shot, but I did spend time on the Army pistol team, and have probably put 10,000+ rounds through .45 pistols.

Also was awarded the Combat Infantryman Badge, so I am a little familiar with the adrenaline issue.
  • Options
    **Sigh**

I guess I should have expected the Tazer(actually a Stun Gun, there is a difference) jokes seeing as I know the company I keep here, but I digress. FWIW, we are on very good terms with the local Police Departments, they stop in regularly. the two involved in the "tazer incident" haven't showed any concern for what was done. they actually made light of it and told my boss he's too old for that kind of excitement.

to answer the question at hand, I don't carry, but I know where the hardware is kept out of sight. one employee does carry, though.

The police should have clubbed them like a baby seal! A little wood shampoo would have done those two some good!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: FootballCrazy

**Sigh**

The police should have clubbed them like a baby seal! A little wood shampoo would have done those two some good!

Yeah, really! They shudda showed them what the Baton in Baton Rouge really stands for, eh? It's people with attitudes like yours that are at least part of the problem. Maybe one day you or one of yours will get the encounter with one of the bad cops.
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We currently have two customers and two Patrolmen in the store, one man already has the bracelets on and is being placed in a Cruiser. I just got the details from my co-worker.

The two were in a Jewelry store in a neighboring City, one guy distracted the clerk while the other reached over and into the counter and stole some merchandise. She caught them in the act and on video but they fled the scene. While the local PD responded to the 911 call the two thieves went to two other locations to get rid of the stolen goods. The second was a shop owned by my boss' wife who sent them to us.

My boss was in his office with two other customers when they arrived. I was in an adjoining room testing some sterling jewelry, so my co-worker Nicole had them at the pay window working on the transaction. Meanwhile, the Police had begun to canvas Pawn Shops and Gold Buyers --- as fate would have it they arrived at our location during the purchase.

I came out onto the floor when I heard something that didn't sound right, just in time to see one guy getting cuffed and the other arguing with the Patrolman. In a few minutes another car arrived, they patted the second guy down and got his ID.

Now the store is clear.

To those who think this is high drama, it is all too routine. I know Pawn Shops get a bad rap sometimes, but as long as we follow the Law, check ID's, submit reports to the PD and hold for the period required there is usually a happy ending. We have had items stolen two states away that were returned to the rightful owner with the thieves apprehended because we did all the above.

I sure wish there was more coin activity!!image

Al H.

With regard to the comment about Pawn Shops getting a bad rap sometimes, I know one in my city deserves a medal. They helped to bring to justice a criminal who assaulted my neighbor and left him unconscious. Among the items they took from him in the robbery was a distinctive diamond ring. Due to an insurance appraisal years prior a photo of the ring was available to be provided to the police. A younger brother of the primary robber "borrowed" the ring to pawn it. A match was eventually made.

The story does not end there. On Christmas Eve my neighbor received a knock on the door and it was the investigating officer there to return the ring. An added footnote is that the big brother was so infuriated that he tried to burn the pawn shop down.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: MICHAELDIXON
    I wish I was there to see the crook's expressions!

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: SanctionII
    Stay safe keets.

It is a wild world out there.

+1
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭
    probably spot +$40.

Too generous... tried some to sell Gold PCGS 70s for a lark.. at Pawn shop .. they were paying spot for 70s....... Large coin wholesaler was at $50 over spot .. still didn't sell
  • Options
    DarrellDarrell Posts: 87 ✭✭✭

BACK THE BLUE!
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought the "new breed" of thieves weren't this dumb?
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    DCAMDCAM Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    Keets, are you guys out the cash you paid for stolen goods.
    You hold the merchandise, do the crooks hold the cash?

Buy More Coins!!
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Darrell

BACK THE BLUE!

• Options
    Keets, are you guys out the cash you paid for stolen goods.

You hold the merchandise, do the crooks hold the cash?

the "rightful owner" of any stolen goods cam reclaim their goods by first proving ownership and then paying us the amount loaned. it is then their responsibility to gain compensation from the thieves.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file