Home U.S. Coin Forum

Opening and Resealing a PCGS/NGC/ANACS Slab

I've often wondered whether a PCGS/NGC/ANACS slab is tamperproof in whether it's possible to open one and reseal it such that it looks untampered. I've done Google searches and the result I've always found is that the way the slabs are sealed, it's impossible to open on and reseal it without damaging the slab. I considered this very good information to learn.

Then came tonight. At coin club meeting, 2 members (one a dealer and the other a very experienced collector who has been to many ANA educational courses) told me that it's very easy to open a slab and reseal it. The only tricky part is needing the right equipment to sonic seal the slab back up. They said there are dishonest people who will do this to replace or tone the coin inside. This shocked me, which made me wonder why I didn't find this information when doing prior Google searches.

Are they telling me a story or the truth? Is this a major problem or something I really shouldn't worry much about in buying slabbed coins?

Or is this a question I should never ask?
I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.

Comments

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,703 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope you are wrong.....but I'm sure it has been and is being tried all the time. I rather doubt that it would be successful based on how hard it is to break one open to resubmit raw. Not very likely.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    You would need a new shell but with the right equipment it can be done.

TPG's do it. Counterfeiters can do it. It's not magic.

Watch at 3:40 to see the NGC sonic sealer
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've cracked quite a few slabs over the years, some just break to pieces (PCGS and old PCI mostly shatter), others crack very neatly along the seam sometimes (ANACS and NGC) and it would be pretty easy to superglue back together, never tried it so not sure how detectable it would be..

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is certainly possible, but the equipment necessary is rather prohibitive....mainly the sonic sealing equipment...Cheers, RickO
  • PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    It is very easy if you have the right equipment, which is the key. That is why PCGS has moved to secure imaging. An image tied to the Cert # is a good way to prevent a coin swap.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try it and report back with the results. Waiting to see your results.
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

You don't need any equipment if you can get the slab open. A layer of superglue would never be picked up by the average person, and if they are some of the old slabs, they were glued shut anyway. You can't just blindly buy coins based on the grade on the slab, ever.

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Superglue tampering is detectable under black light.

peacockcoins

• Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: braddick

Superglue tampering is detectable under black light.

Try using that at a show or on eBay. Every time I try and pull out my Black Light, I get funny looks.
  • 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just another reason for TrueView...Justified image
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When ANACS got a new owner and changed their slabs to the current format, some of their early slabs were really flimsy. I saw of few of them at the shows that were actually half way open. Perhaps with a little careful attention you could have gotten the coin out and replaced it.

As for the other coins, I don't know. You see cracked slabs now and then that might have been messed with. All of them were something that I would not want because of possible tampering.

I suppose if you had the right equipment, you could play games, but it have to be pretty sophisticated to open the slab and reseal it. At that would be true for the most recent slabs.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • BubbleheadBubblehead Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    In my experience, NGC holders will come apart at the seam w/o damage. It depends on method used. I use a vise. Typically my NGC crackouts result in two pristine & undamaged halves.
    PCGS holders are made of a more brittle plastic and will always crack open unevenly and with damage. YMMV..
  • DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd think if you laid a slab flat (coin face up) and used a horizontal saw cutting through each side of the slab just above the seam, then took a second slab (coin face down) and did the same thing the two halves remaining at the proper thickness could then be re-adhered back together where the weight, thickness and appearance would feel natural. Then as long as the coin inside wasn't obviously undergraded, someone's getting ripped off.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD

Just another reason for TrueView...Justified image

• mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • CarterofmarsCarterofmars Posts: 75 ✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2024 11:59AM

What would a tampered and reglued pcgs slab look like under black light? Can anyone describe? I have a slab that I'm going to send for a CAC sticker review.

The slab has what looks to be two very short white lines at two sections of the seam. I've always been worried about the ability of unscrupulous sellers to sell tampered with slabs. I've posted pics, black light also, of areas of concern.

Any opinions greatly appreciated.

• Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 649 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve had a few (mostly) NGC and PCGS both break clean at the seams when using the vise method to crack. Wasn’t intentionally trying to, they just popped that way.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Carterofmars That holder looks fine to me

Collector, occasional seller

• JWPJWP Posts: 21,058 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread is almost 8 years old.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• CarterofmarsCarterofmars Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

@JWP said:

It's a topic I'm concerned with and was researching prior conversations rather than cover ground that's been covered already. Is it preferable to start a new thread rather than continue and old one? There's a lot of info in this one and might be useful.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Carterofmars said:

@JWP said:

It's a topic I'm concerned with and was researching prior conversations rather than cover ground that's been covered already. Is it preferable to start a new thread rather than continue and old one? There's a lot of info in this one and might be useful.

You did the right thing. Resurrecting a thread is better than starting a new one as it adds to the knowledge base without creating a duplicate thread - as you pointed out.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file