Home U.S. Coin Forum

1999-W $10 American Gold Eagle Coin PCGS MS-68 Unfinished PR Die

1999-W $10 American Gold Eagle Coin PCGS MS-68 Unfinished PR Die

1999 was the run up to the Y2K hysteria and there was a great deal of concern about whether or not the computers of the world would function properly when the date changed from December 31, 1999 to January 1, 2000.

Many people bought gold and silver coins so that they would be able to barter if the monetary systems all became unusable.

Tenth ounce
1998 1,344,520
1999 2,750,338
2000 569, 153

Quarter ounce
1998 309,829
1999 564,232
2000 128,964

In late 1999, there was unprecedented demand for smaller denomination American Gold Eagles. In my opinion, the US Mint had run out of regular dies for these coins and because of the demand, reached up on the shelf and utilized some dies that were prepared for Proof Only strikings. They used these dies to make commercial strikings of the $5, 1/10 ounce, and the $10, ¼ ounce coins.

Some people refer to these coins as errors, but I prefer to call them Emergency Issues, like the 1942/41 dimes. Estimated mintage for the $10 are less than 5000.

Comments

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about that...that is kinda neat! ...oops! outta time!
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder how you tell...

bobimage

PS: I'll check my stash once I find out.......aaaaaaaaah, ooooooooops, none to checkimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are neat pieces. I've thought about picking one up in the past.
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: AUandAG
    I wonder how you tell...

Non-proof fields with "W" mint mark.
    Normal bullion-issue Gold Eagles have no mint mark.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have those..... neat items...Cheers, RickO
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bought both years ago. Cool coins!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • CacoinguyCacoinguy Posts: 279 ✭✭✭
    These bring quite a premium
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CA5MAN
    I think Julian had a massive board of these and listed them as a lot. Wonder if he still has them?

Still has some of them....He's the ebay seller for those items.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2020 3:10PM
    Originally posted by: TopographicOceans

In late 1999, there was unprecedented demand for smaller denomination American Gold Eagles. In my opinion, the US Mint had run out of regular dies for these coins and because of the demand, reached up on the shelf and utilized some dies that were prepared for Proof Only strikings. They used these dies to make commercial strikings of the $5, 1/10 ounce, and the $10, ¼ ounce coins.

unpolished proof dies would not just be "sitting on the shelf." Would have been just as easy to manufacture more non-W dies as it would have been to create W dies without the polishing process. If unpolished proof dies were intentionally used, they had to be pulled from production before being polished. An error was made with these in 1999, either one of judgement by the mint or by the person(s) installing the wrong dies at the press. And yes, the error was a result of sudden, unexpected demand. One thing I have learned from first hand experience is that most government mistakes are a result of a rush in making a decision or in accomplishing a task under pressure.

The fact that the resulting W coins were not a normal mint inventory item makes them an error.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• 92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    I'm convinced these coins are quite a bit more common than widely perceived. When Eric Jordan wrote his book 5 or 6 years ago the ICG population report wasn't public. When it was finally made public it confirmed my andecdotal observations --- there are about as many as in ICG holders as there are in PCGS or NGC.
    Doesn't mean they're not good coins though.
  • Hello, sorry to bring up an old thread but thought this would be most appropriate. I searched but did not find a answer for my question below:

Question: Why has there not been any significant appreciation in value (or otherwise) of the 1999-W Unfinished PR Die coins?

I've watched this coin since as far back as 2006, and the prices haven't changed to any significant degree, in my opinion.

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

Prices have actually come down over the years.

Why would this particular coin buck the general trend?

It hasn't appreciated because there are more of them
    on the market than collectors of them.

It's not surprising, imo.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • FredWeinberg - Thank You for your response.

I take it then that their really isn't much of a collector base for this type of coin? Assuming it is an "Error", which I know is debatable.

Over the decade :) I haven't seen any significant population increase for this coin but an surprised that the collector base for this type is as small as it is.

Does a cracked out (regraded coin) add or sum zero the population base?

Would enjoy hearing additional opinions.. Thanks

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have both denominations, slabbed...Just got them since they were unique at the time. Focused collector interest is necessary for value to increase....They just do not seem to have excited the collector base. Cheers, RickO

• LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Relative scarcity is one part of the issue and demand (i.e. price of gold) is the other. Both denominations are not normal releases so clearly mistakes were made. It would seem that the price of gold and the AGE series size likely contributes to the perceived lack of interest or I should say lack of ability to complete for a large collector base. Between the MS/SP/PR releases, $5, $10, $25, $50 denominations across the entire series 1986 to present that cost goes into the six figures just for the price of the bullion and few can accomplish that. If you are shooting for perfect 70 grades it goes higher and completing a set this would be a required piece. Larger collector base often drives prices of such an error higher if more want/need it. If you collect errors coins this may be a one-off coin for you but if you collect the AGE series, or even just the $5 or $10 AGE's, you are part of a much smaller collector base simply due the cost of the release than say the base for ASE's. Maybe in time these will be appreciated more or maybe not.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file