Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Cherrypicking is as tedious as it sounds... UPDATE:

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hi guy's, Today I once again went Cherrypicking. Yes, the hunt was on and what I concluded after my hunt down for three hours. First of all, nothing found in the wild and second, I really thought about it. This is not easy! It's like trying to hunt down that rare "White Rhino" in the wild. Well, maybe not that difficult? but cherrypicking is as tedious as just that, cherry picking. Imagine, your in a vineyard of avast amount of cherry trees in the hot sun. That day of cherry picking will be hard on one's back and not to mention on the fingers. Cherrypicking coins in the wild can almost have that effect. Almost. It takes a whole lot of patience and the sense of not giving up. But the one thing, it pays off tremendously! It's all worth it in the end. Thanks for hearing me out.-joey
Correction: What I forgot to mention was that I wasn't Cherrypicking on Ebay for three hours. I was actually at a coin show hunting for Cherrypicks! This is far more stressful, troublesome and tedious than Cherrypicking online. Most of you probably thought that I meant I was online Cherrypicking? Sorry for not being clear in my post.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do three hours a day, day after day. I'm retired and sitting at my desk watching TV with no interest in the program....comes easily to cherrypick.

Especially in the summer here in Vegas when venturing outside for more than a minute or two can be a real exhausting.

This past month; one cherry. An 1853/4 quarter that was unattributed and raw.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are correct. It is tedious and it can almost make you feel like you're going to go blind. But, then you find something that just makes it all worth it. That's why it's called cherrypicking. I love the thrill of the hunt. I just don't seem to have the luck that some of these guys on here do when it comes to cherrypicking eBay. Some monsters have been found out there.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The value of a rare coin in some cases is determined by the value of the time expended to find it. This is especially true for anything still circulating.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    "Imagine, your in a vineyard of avast amount of cherry trees in the hot sun."

Cherry trees in a vineyard?
    Not in my neck of the woods!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    Originally posted by: mariner67
    "Imagine, your in a vineyard of avast amount of cherry trees in the hot sun."

Cherry trees in a vineyard?
    Not in my neck of the woods!

" Imagine, your in a field of avast amount of cherry trees in the hot sun." image
    The hard part of Cherrypicking is first what to determine to hunt down. Either, one certain item or many?

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: AUandAG
    I do three hours a day, day after day. I'm retired and sitting at my desk watching TV with no interest in the program....comes easily to cherrypick.
    Especially in the summer here in Vegas when venturing outside for more than a minute or two can be a real exhausting.

bobimage

Three hours isn't bad, but I double that looking for dime varieties!image

• Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    I put a 1944-D Philippine 20 Centavos under my scope yesterday and it was a D/S. I don't even remember where or when I acquired the coin.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    such as life!
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never had luck cherrypicking on ebay. All mine have been from dealers. Typically those who get a lot of retail customers. They have to time to look at everything and neither do I.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thrill is in the hunt indeed!
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like looking. Call me a geek or collect.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once you score a couple of nice ones all that tedium goes away completely.
  • Options
    I just found out that an unattributed 1908 IHC that I purchased a couple of weeks ago made it to the Top Pop position 1908 1C MPD FS-301 S-4 (011.77) MS65BN. The jury is still out whether it will be reconsidered for RB.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DIMEMAN

bobimage

I love looking at coins, but there is no way I could spend 3-6 hours per day looking for varieties, even if I did not have a job.
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CA5MAN
    I cherry pick eBay approx 20 minutes per day. My last 2 cherry picks, paid $5.29 sold for $4,500 and another for $29.99, sold for $1,025.

Tell us about them!
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I specifically look for AH Kennedy's.... anything else is serendipitous..... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS notched the attribution of the 64 example. The 2nd was the 53 proof quarter fs901 graded pr67 by our host. The results of each

Did you mean ...botched?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Treashunt
    I cherry pick eBay approx 20 minutes per day. My last 2 cherry picks, paid $5.29 sold for $4,500 and another for $29.99, sold for $1,025.

Tell us about them!

The first was the 57D quarter graded AU55
    And attributed FS 901 reengraved TF's. Technically it's the only one as PCGS botched the attribution of the 64 example. The 2nd was the 53 proof quarter fs901 graded pr67 by our host. The results of each should still show in eBay completed listings...

• Options
    Originally posted by: Yorkshireman

bobimage

I love looking at coins, but there is no way I could spend 3-6 hours per day looking for varieties, even if I did not have a job.

Whenever I now go to any coin shows, I'm only there for one reason, Cherrypicking!

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: joeykoins

I was actually at a coin show hunting for Cherrypicks! This is far more stressful, troublesome and tedious than Cherrypicking online. Most of you probably thought that I meant I was online Cherrypicking? Sorry for not being clear in my post.

ive made some posts regarding looking at coins at shows and the nuances surrounding it. the posts were long. lol.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few of my best cherrypicks are:

1. A 1961 OGP proof set purchased for bid that contained a possible Cameo half that is the big DDR;

2. Four 1959 OGP proof sets purchased for bid containing possible Cameo half dollars;

3. Two 1958 OGP proof sets and 1957 OGP proof set purchased for bid containing CAMEO nickels;

4. A 1945 silver nickel in Mint State purchased for a few dollars that is a DDR; and

5. A capital holder of 1950-63 proof Franklins purchased for very modest money with all 14 coins being Cameo or DCAM.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: SanctionII
    A few of my best cherrypicks are:

1. A 1961 OGP proof set purchased for bid that contained a possible Cameo half that is the big DDR;

2. Four 1959 OGP proof sets purchased for bid containing possible Cameo half dollars;

3. Two 1958 OGP proof sets and 1957 OGP proof set purchased for bid containing CAMEO nickels;

4. A 1945 silver nickel in Mint State purchased for a few dollars that is a DDR; and

5. A capital holder of 1950-63 proof Franklins purchased for very modest money with all 14 coins being Cameo or DCAM.

Nice! Just that list you've shown is probably sky rocket money? This is what Cherrypicking is all about, isn't it? Pay low than end up with HIGH profits. Let's see, who would not want to pay $1.00 than in return receive $100 or more?

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: oih82w8

To me the hunt is a bit of work and not a thrill. The thrill is in the find.

Lance.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back to Ebay/online picking vs. Show picking.

Yes the online stuff is more or less hassle free since you have no interaction with the seller/dealer until...You hope to hell, they do not "substitute the coin" , get in mailed promptly, or you finally get it in hand and find you made mistake.

On the other hand, getting asked by dealers if your picking, having to wait just to get the coin out the case because the dealer is busy with other transactions, let alone travel and associated cost, you can get faster satisfaction walking from a show with said pick verified in hand.

Both still give you sore feet, back and eyes.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: WaterSport
    Back to Ebay/online picking vs. Show picking.

Yes the online stuff is more or less hassle free since you have no interaction with the seller/dealer until...You hope to hell, they do not "substitute the coin" , get in mailed promptly, or you finally get it in hand and find you made mistake.

On the other hand, getting asked by dealers if your picking, having to wait just to get the coin out the case because the dealer is busy with other transactions, let alone travel and associated cost, you can get faster satisfaction walking from a show with said pick verified in hand.

Both still give you sore feet, back and eyes.

WS

image Also, like you mentioned, You hope the owner on Ebay does not exchange the coin with a normal one. Perhaps, some are purposely doing this to get a sell? That's why I prefer to go to a show. More work but much better results.

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love cherrypicking on eBay, at times it can be almost meditative as I scroll through the listings, keyed in on certain aspects of the various photos. If I found it to be as much of a grind as some of the posters here, I doubt I would ever make the time to do it. I rarely get to go cherrypicking at shows any more, and when I do I am a little jaded at the lack of selection versus eBay.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Yorkshireman

bobimage

To each his own. But that is the only way to find the goodies. Case in point......if I had spent just 30 minutes more one day several years ago I would have got the 1829 Curl Base 2 that made PCGS35 (top pop). In stead my good friend Stone got it.

My point is you have to work for the good finds.

• Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You just have to be patient and not give up. With the availability of eBay today your cherrypicking efforts should be split between going out to coin shops or shows as well as picking online.
    You may go a long time finding nothing and then bingo! You find something really nice. Like a proof buff or Lincoln cent. One dealer on eBay had a matte proof Lincoln advertised as an unc.
    It was a 1910 and was cleaned and would only have gotten a details grade of proof-60 but I was able to sell it for $400.00. A really nice find. Also don’t forget condition cherrypicking.
    You may run into a raw 1913 type one unc buff that might grade out as ms68!! I am sure there are still some out there and that would be close to a $10,000 coin.

Also found an unc 1913 type two buff recently with a large part of the left back leg missing in the middle. Looks like it could easily go as a 3 and one half legged buffalo. But i have to have the coin. This would be a new “legger”.
    in hand to be certain.
    Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    Cherrypicking eBay can be fun, but also can be bad medicine. It's so much more of a relief when you find a cherrypick with a buy it now button versus one that has a starting bid with 5 or 6 days left. Waiting for those 5 or 6 days to count down and hoping no one else has spotted what you did can be hairy. Case in point, I'm currently watching a couple right now, that I wish I could end right now... LOL
  • Options
    How many of you guys that do pick on Ebay ever get denied the coin showing? I'm curious.image I've added a poll to see how many, this way you that vote yes, won't be known.-Thanks!

• Options
    Almost forgot about the 1917 buffalo nickel with diecrack near LIBERTY running from the rim down past the left side of the L and into the field. This is mentioned in Breens Encyclopedian of Colonial and U S coins as well as his proof encyclopedia I have been looking for a coin with the diecrack since the big encyclopedia came out in 1990 and I finally found one! God only knows how many 1917 buffs I have looked at

see picture below
    [URL=http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/buffnixx/media/s-l1600.b_zpsepzvyq9u.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    Originally posted by: joeykoins
    How many of you guys that do pick on Ebay ever get denied the coin showing? I'm curious.image I've added a poll to see how many, this way you that vote yes, won't be known.-Thanks!

If you don't get the coin that is pictured, then that is grounds for a SNAD and you get a refund and the seller is responsible for return shipping. I don't think you could hold them responsible for anything MORE than a refund and them paying for return shipping, after all, it was a cherrypick. But, usually you get what you bid on.
  • Options
    Here are pictures of the 1913 type two 3 and one half legged buff that I snagged today.
    Of course the final determination as to what this is will be when I have the coin in hand.
    It is on the way to Ohio from Florida right now. Looks like it may be a winner

[URL=http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/buffnixx/media/s-l1600_zpsfldzmru4.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/buffnixx/media/s-l1600jdh_zpswpw6mpbo.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    Are you referring to the back legs? If so, you may have something there? but which back leg? They both look missing towards the bottom?

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only time I got shafted on an eBay cherrypick was when I thought I had snagged a 1971-D Ike "Friendly Eagle" RDV-006 in a 65 holder.

Got a different coin, still a MS65 but not the coin pictured.

Not a big deal financially but I'm thinking the seller had the picture of the FEV up to snag suckers, and he sure got one!
  • Options
    "Are you referring to the back legs? If so, you may have something there? but which back leg? They both look missing towards the bottom?”
    to joeycoins

I am referring to the back legs.
    Both legs have been reduced, either by die abrasion or perhaps a filed die prior to striking.
    The left back leg appear to be reduced in the middle by a significant amount.
    And the right back leg is not attached to the buffalo at all at the top.
    will update when I get the coin.
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    I've never had a coin switched, but have "missed" when coin is in hand.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: lkeigwin

Originally posted by: oih82w8

To me the hunt is a bit of work and not a thrill. The thrill is in the find.

Lance.

Well said!

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cherrypicked a coin star machine, once. image NOT.
  • Options
    Thus far, according to the poll, you guy's got stiffed almost half the time! 5 out of 9 is actually more than half the time. Boy'o boy.

• Options
    I would not call it being "stiffed", but I have purchased some coins based upon fuzzy/dark/otherwise perfect images and returned them when they turned out NOT to be what I thought it was.

• Options
    Well one of the auctions I was waiting on to close finally did. Only one other bidder and they kept their bid close to the opening price, so I nabbed it. The seller shipped it quickly and it arrived in like record speed. It was sent via USPS First Class Package and went from Sound Beach, NY to Vancouver, WA in two days!! The coin was an Uncirculated 1942 Walking Liberty Half DDR FS-801. Not a home run, but it's my first pick on eBay that turned out to actually be what I hoped it was.

• Options
    Nice one! Good job.
  • Options
    This 1913 type two 3 and one half legged buffalo turned out to be nothing! Looks like the photo was “photoshopped” by the seller
    to make it appear that part of the detail about the rear legs was missing.
    You have to be willing to return coins that are not as advertised.
    so, on with the hunt!
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice DDR there, I look for that on gemmy looking examples but have yet to find one.

I don't know if cherrypicking includes buying mis-graded stuff, but that is what I do pretty frequently.

Here is one example, it just graded MS63 today.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    Nice looking '29. What was it originally graded?

I consider a Cherrypick as anything you can pick up at a good discount.

The '42 DDR cost me only $41.00 shipped.

I have a second example that just finally shipped that looks to be better than the one above that I paid less than $34.00 for.
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jtlee321

I have a second example that just finally shipped that looks to be better than the one above that I paid less than $34.00 for.

the 29-S was graded "XF".

You must have a hell of a lot better eyesight than I do!

I'd still love to find a 46 DDR.
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    The 29-S was marked XF?

Wow, great pickup.

Was this at a show?

Hope you bought all his/her XFs!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: clarkbar04
    Originally posted by: jtlee321

the 29-S was graded "XF".

You must have a hell of a lot better eyesight than I do!

I'd still love to find a 46 DDR.

XF? That is what I would call a Cherrypick!! I'd be shopping that guy all the time.

I do have decent eye sight, but both of the auctions showed that reverse at perfect angles to make them a no question DDR. Both ended within 3 days of each other. I was shocked that no one else picked up on them.

I've been looking for a '46 but no luck yet.
  • Options
    The only 46 I have been able to pick was an XF out of a junk box.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file