Home U.S. Coin Forum

Does the 1819/8 look XF-40 to you? Update!!!

ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 25, 2016 1:57PM in U.S. Coin Forum
Recently acquired from board member coinlieutenant in a flawless transaction. He di mention that this coin is full of luster, which is 100% correct. This one has as much luster as some of my 53's and 55's.

For a comparison, here are a couple of my other 40's. The 1817 has a fair amount of luster too (along with more obverse wear), and the 1809 has somewhat less luster and less wear. I sure wish all 40's looked like this or should it be I wish my 40's were all 50's?

Comments

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1809 looks the most under-graded to me.....looks at least 50 maybe 53.

The others look 45 and 40.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• msch1manmsch1man Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭
    That 1819 looks like a beautiful coin...not surprised it was one of the first to disappear on coinlieutenant's BST list. Certainly looks more AU-50 than XF-40 to me based on the pics.
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, you know what I think of it. image Used to be in an ANACS AU53 holder...

Here is a better pic (I think) image

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks 50+ to me.
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mannie gray
    Looks 50+ to me.

This.
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would call the 1819/8 AU50, and the 1809 AU53/55.

Lance.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1819 was hammered for slight strike issues on a tough TPG day. The toning missing on the high points only accentuates it. Nothing less than a 45 or 50 imo. I'd call it 50.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1819/8 has solid AU details and enough luster for AU55, IMHO.
  • oldlinecoinsoldlinecoins Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    Probably netted for the somewhat spotty toning and possibly an old cleaning underneath the toning. Because it sure looks to have AU details.
  • Bob1951Bob1951 Posts: 268 ✭✭
    The 1819/18 clearly has more detail than the other 2, especially on the reverse. AU-50 by my quess.

1817-XF-40. 1809-XF-45 to AU50.
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are sometimes very tough on Bust Halves.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: msch1man
    That 1819 looks like a beautiful coin...not surprised it was one of the first to disappear on coinlieutenant's BST list. Certainly looks more AU-50 than XF-40 to me based on the pics.

I agree.
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice halves. Grading is over-rated IMO.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not hesitate to call the 1819 a 50......Cheers, RickO
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    It was probably crossed from another company's holder, and they needed to show they were more strict on grading so they gave it a lower grade just because they can.

Comment what you will about that statement, but that's my theory.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: pcgs69
    It was probably crossed from another company's holder, and they needed to show they were more strict on grading so they gave it a lower grade just because they can.

Comment what you will about that statement, but that's my theory.

This should not factor into the grade, but I fear that it does.

• LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On any Sunday, that could have been a 50 or 53. I think PCGS is very inconsistent with their bust grades.

There is problems grading them due to weak strikes vs. wear, but I don't think they do a good job determining which is which.

Gorgeous coin!
  • IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    Looks like ANACS got it right.
  • Love all of them!
    Colonial and Continental Currency Collector.

• ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

I now have an update for this thread. That XF-40 holder (with green bean) bothered me to no end so I cracked it out and submitted it at the September Vegas show. It now has an AU-55 grade in a new holder. I did expect a 50/53 at least, so this is just icing on the cake. Also it got relabeled correctly as a large 9. Please resume your normal activities.

• LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I see bust half dollars with large broad flat areas in the hair, cap and bust or on the reverse on the eagle, I think that perhaps it didn't get fully struck up rather than wear.

I think this aspect quite often gets down graded by our host. Often the combination of substantial luster and flat areas are deceiving to the actual grade of the coin.

• stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

regardless of grade, that's one you buy on eye appeal. nice coin!

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice job on the upgrade.

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats!
    That's quite the upgrade.
    A shame it wasn't more accurate the first go-around.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice

LCoopie = Les
  • USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice work. Quality coin no matter what grade it's been assigned.

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

wow. 55!!? I'll disagree with PCGS on both grades it has assigned. Will be interesting to see what CAC says this time, if you go that route.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barndog said:
    wow. 55!!? I'll disagree with PCGS on both grades it has assigned. Will be interesting to see what CAC says this time, if you go that route.

Sorry...that's no AU55. I'm with Barndog. I guessed AU50 earlier, which I stand by.
    Lance.

• coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭

Perhaps XF45+ would be an order for that coin (the 1819). I'd be comfortable with that.

I always thought ANACS had it right the first time, which was an AU53....but either way, it was an awesome coin and glad it is in a great collection. :smile:

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

ANACS AU53 to PCGS XF40 to PCGS AU55. Is that correct? :o

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grading is subjective, of course. But I dont think anyone can dispute the coin's awesome eye appeal. Congrats!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VanHalen said:

That is 100% correct. Oh, did I mention that it had a green bean as an XF-40? Just goes to show that grading/second opinion is truly subjective.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ElmerFusterpuck said:

@VanHalen said:

That is 100% correct. Oh, did I mention that it had a green bean as an XF-40? Just goes to show that grading/second opinion is truly subjective.

Variations like this are considerable exceptions, not the rule. Not subjective by and large. But I agree the coin is an AU and they erred greatly in calling a nice lustrous Bust half XF.

Knowledgeable collectors know without the grade. I paid 'stupid' for the coin. So did ef. :). It all works out.

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 26, 2016 2:30PM

@logger7 said:

@ElmerFusterpuck said:

@VanHalen said:

Variations like this are considerable exceptions, not the rule. Not subjective by and large. But I agree the coin is an AU and they erred greatly in calling a nice lustrous Bust half XF.

From what I've seen over 30 years, the "exceptions" occur a lot more often than you think. I'd say about 20-40% of the time. That coin going 53 to 40 to 55....is actually borderline normal imo. About 1/3 of the coins I've submitted over the years have come back too low the first time through, requiring another 1-2 submissions. And invariably, you get a wide spread of grades. EF was wise to crack this one out and get a clean slate. It's crazy that it wasn't gold beaned. But, as I've said before, CAC wants some meat on their bone too. And to sum it all up, you typically don't nail down a coin's grade on 1 submission, and often not even 2. In my mind it usually takes 3-5 submissions to get a consensus on a coin. The OP's coin has been seen 3X now with an apparent consensus as AU53/55....with both CoinLT and the current owner agreeing with an AU grade.

I can give numerous examples of me submitting coins and getting 3 different grades over 3-5 submission. You have to love it when you go 64,63,65 in order. That's where you wanted to confirm the original grade and get low balled the 2nd time. Then you're forced to resubmit just to break even and they give you the 65. I had one seated half I paid raw 66 money for at a Stack's auction go NGC MS65. I was buried staring at a 40% loss. In sending it back it went NGC MS67. I didn't dare try a 3rd time for "consensus." I'd have stopped at 66 if they gave it to me.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

No... 40 failed the straight face test.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file