Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Slow Turnaround times

Comments

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭
    Getting close to calendar day 80..................no improvement seen from flyover country.
  • Options
    dbtunrdbtunr Posts: 614 ✭✭✭
    The National Card Convention is taking place this week in Atlantic City. It is the biggest card show of the year. The card folks aren't lucky to have as many shows as the coin folks. Usually you will see a few card tables at a coin show. While the coin graders are not there, most certainly other CLCT staff are. This may be why there is a "slowdown" from the 10K coins/day. While PCGS has a 50%+ market share in coins (one could argue in 2016 it has grown to 60%), PSA has a 90%+ market share in cards. There are all kinds of card records being set this week and PSA has been all over the news and mentioned on CNBC, CNN, and all the local channels.

Wayne Gretsky PSA Gem MT 10 rookie card for $465,000
  • Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So PCGS did up their grade total to 7,439 yesterday; none of them mine. They are grading onsite at a show this week; it does appear that onsite grading cuts down on their output. It's obviously more profitable for PCGS, so I suspect they won't be cutting back on attending shows.

My Economy submission is on business day 44 (logged in June 6) and my Regular submission is on business day 22 (logged in July 7). Both submissions are past last weeks average time. Either I'm unlucky or the average times will be going up on Monday.

I'm sending in another Economy submission today; the value of the coins doesn't warrant any other type of submission. I don't want to even think about when I might see these coins again......
    I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭
    While it is not a regular submission, I have a coin submitted for show special regrade that ended up needing special review/reconsideration. This was the FUN Show in January (logged in 1/11/2016)............still waiting.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: BigDowgie

While it is not a regular submission, I have a coin submitted for show special regrade that ended up needing special review/reconsideration. This was the FUN Show in January (logged in 1/11/2016)............still waiting.

Wow!!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: JeffMTampa

So PCGS did up their grade total to 7,439 yesterday; none of them mine. They are grading onsite at a show this week; it does appear that onsite grading cuts down on their output. It's obviously more profitable for PCGS, so I suspect they won't be cutting back on attending shows.

My Economy submission is on business day 44 (logged in June 6) and my Regular submission is on business day 22 (logged in July 7). Both submissions are past last weeks average time. Either I'm unlucky or the average times will be going up on Monday.

I'm sending in another Economy submission today; the value of the coins doesn't warrant any other type of submission. I don't want to even think about when I might see these coins again......

Prolly get them back near Christmas
  • Options
    Christmas what year?
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I shipped an express to PCGS today; I hope the six days is on target, but with the ANA it may be more.
  • Options
    PCGS graded 2,087 coins yesterday (Saturday), presumably all on site at a Show. Since they were grading coins does it count as a business day?
  • Options
    machoponchomachoponcho Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    Economy Submission logged into their system 6/1/16. Still waiting. Now I did request some TrueViews. Doesn't that slow up the process by a few days in addition?

Only one time have I waited longer. I filled out the online submission form and sent the coins in. First time I did that and only time so far. It took about 3.5 months, I believe, for those Economy coins to be graded. It sounds like the online submission process has improved based on early replies to this thread.
    I have existed since the creation of this world and will exist until its end. Only my form will change. For these 80 human life years, I have the benefit of having a functioning body and consciousness. I will not waste this opportunity.
  • Options

PCGS graded 2,087 coins yesterday (Saturday), presumably all on site at a Show. Since they were grading coins does it count as a business day?

I don't believe there was a show yesterday and they normally grade on Saturday 1K or 2K coins anyway

• Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: dbtunr

I don't believe there was a show yesterday and they normally grade on Saturday 1K or 2K coins anyway

The PNG/ANA pre show started yesterday in Anaheim. Not sure when PCGS starts the on site grading, but they will be there all next week.

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

My opinion, for what it is worth, is that if they grade on any given day, especially if they grade every Saturday, then yes these should count as business days.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Common accepted understanding of "business day" is a M-F where the day isn't a holiday.

People CAN come in and work on a day marked as "off" but that doesn't then turn it into a "business day".

Of course, we all like to adjust definitions to fit what we like image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    The new updated turn-around times from last week have been published; 19 days for Regular and 42 days for Economy. Both my Regular and Economy orders are 3 days past average. I guess someone has to be below average......
  • Options

The new updated turn-around times from last week have been published; 19 days for Regular and 42 days for Economy. Both my Regular and Economy orders are 3 days past average. I guess someone has to be below average......

Calendar day 82, nothing.........getting pretty dam old. Posted times mean nothing!!
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YAY! 60 DAYS FOR ME NOW ON ECONOMY!
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    oldstandardoldstandard Posts: 387 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: joebb21

YAY! 60 DAYS FOR ME NOW ON ECONOMY!

Is that business days or regular week days?
  • Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: FadeToBlack

So coins are on their way back (or maybe received today?) and still no TrueViews... if it's just editing, I'd dig a part-time job cropping TV photos for, say, $1 a coin.

Phil had mentioned in another thread that they are having some technical problems with TV's being posted.
    Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    I hit business day 53 on my 5/26/16 Eco submission today with no grades posted. My 5/13 FINALLY shipped today. By the time I actually get the coins back I'm pretty sure I will have hit 90 days total for the coins being gone. That is INSANE. Unless they actually have a real fix in the works for the eco-lag, it is no longer a viable submission option.

Considering were into the ANA show I would expect that this week continues to be dreadfully slow.

Also: Just noticed we have a 3 coin REGULAR with nothing special about it on business day 38!
    Samuel Shafer
  • Options
    Originally posted by: IndyCoppers

I hit business day 53 on my 5/26/16 Eco submission today with no grades posted. My 5/13 FINALLY shipped today. By the time I actually get the coins back I'm pretty sure I will have hit 90 days total for the coins being gone. That is INSANE. Unless they actually have a real fix in the works for the eco-lag, it is no longer a viable submission option.

Considering were into the ANA show I would expect that this week continues to be dreadfully slow.

Also: Just noticed we have a 3 coin REGULAR with nothing special about it on business day 38!

I expect my order to surpass the 90 day mark. I'll be shocked to see grades this week.
  • Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I shipped an express to PCGS today; I hope the six days is on target, but with the ANA it may be more.

Express turnaround is now estimated 9 biz days.
  • Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had planned on letting my membership expire until some improvements have been implemented, but it expires in 4 days. It's unlikely I will receive grades by then, and I'm assuming you have to be an active member to have your coins graded. So now I'm forced to auto renew instead of letting it expire and then renewing right before I'm ready for my next submission (months and months away).

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: mach1ne

I had planned on letting my membership expire until some improvements have been implemented, but it expires in 4 days. It's unlikely I will receive grades by then, and I'm assuming you have to be an active member to have your coins graded. So now I'm forced to auto renew instead of letting it expire and then renewing right before I'm ready for my next submission (months and months away).

you have to be an active member to submit. you are fine even if you let it lapse

• Options
    Originally posted by: Manorcourtman

Calendar day 82, nothing.........getting pretty dam old. Posted times mean nothing!!

Day 83.............still waiting.....
  • Options
    What was your submission again? Any attributions or special attention?
    Samuel Shafer
  • Options
    I wonder what the additional 200,000+ quarterly Chinese coins and medals coming down the pike will do to turnaround times. Huge deal struck in China with PCGS. One would think the Chinese graders should be able to handle it as they would come directly from the Mint.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Kyle
    Originally posted by: FadeToBlack
    So coins are on their way back (or maybe received today?) and still no TrueViews... if it's just editing, I'd dig a part-time job cropping TV photos for, say, $1 a coin.

Phil had mentioned in another thread that they are having some technical problems with TV's being posted.

Our TrueView Editor software has been repaired and we're back in business getting images onto the website. Bear with us as we get caught up.

Thanks

Radiant Collection: Numismatics and Exonumia of the Atomic Age.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase/3232

• Options
    Originally posted by: PCGSPhoto

Our TrueView Editor software has been repaired and we're back in business getting images onto the website. Bear with us as we get caught up.

Thanks

Woohoo! Hopefully the drop shadow has been added back to the CF image.. image

• Options
    My Regular Submission of 3 coins was graded on business day 23 yesterday; yay! Day 46 on my Economy submission.
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Regular Submission of 3 coins was graded on business day 23 yesterday; yay! Day 46 on my Economy submission.

Yeah! I'm at 21 days today on my regular submission, the first of 9 submission with PCGS, so there is hope.
    I have also noticed that the last 2 days they graded 13k and 10k coins, respectively, so that may mean they are catching up.

Tom

• Options
    Okay my Economy from 6/1/16 did ship 8/9/16 at last.
    I have existed since the creation of this world and will exist until its end. Only my form will change. For these 80 human life years, I have the benefit of having a functioning body and consciousness. I will not waste this opportunity.
  • Options
    On Busniss Day 46 my Economy Submission from June 6 was graded.

I guess I'll take a few weeks off before complaining about the slow turn-around time of my July 7 Economy Submission.....
  • Options

I guess I'll take a few weeks off before complaining about the slow turn-around time of my July 7 Economy Submission.....

They are currently estimating 42 days so you were pretty close to that.

• Options
    Funny how some responses were edited out today. Very curious indeed....
  • Options

Gee your response critical of PCGS photography from yesterday is now gone......

• Options
    Originally posted by: Manorcourtman

Gee your response critical of PCGS photography from yesterday is now gone......

I hope the right people saw the message. I've worked in IT on critical systems for 30+ years.

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    US regular submission grades in today at 23 days, instead of published 19. Plus, regular World submission of 4 coins came in yesterday at 22 days, well ahead of 33 days published average. Times seem to be improving.

Tom

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actual turnaround times seem to be getting closer to posted estimated times? Or am I just getting accustomed to these?
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    sawyerjoshsawyerjosh Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    59 days today with no results for econ submission.
    As a seller: USARarities, acloco, coindudeonebay, Twinturbo, MICHAELDIXON, blu62vette, mothra454, LukeMarshall, USARarities
    As a buyer: QualityCurrencycom, tychojoe, AurumMiner, Collectorcoins, perfectstrike, ModCrewman, LeeBone, nickel, REALGATOR, MICHAELDIXON, pointfivezero, Walkerguy21D
    Trades: georgiacop50
  • Options
    Do I have the high honor of being the only one on here still waiting on a May eco submission? Still waiting on my 5/26.. That is 55 business days. It took 57 business days for my 5/13. I'm pretty sure that I have a legitimate chance to beat the record of longest submission time for eco with my 5/26.

With that said, we have seen some quicker turnaround times in the higher tiers. Regular orders are now taking only twice as long as normal. We have to give them credit, they are digging out of the hole at least it appears.

I'm really hoping that the most recent ECO's will be done in a more reasonable time. You gotta think when we get done with ANA its full steam ahead.
    Samuel Shafer
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing you don't want to do is check the box that says "have fun with my coins!"
  • Options
    Modern U.S. submission logged on 7-22-16, set to ship tomorrow, 8-15-16. Slightly ahead of currently published 20 business days for Modern.
  • Options
    Economy turnaround is up to 47 days now. I thought these were supposed to go down, not up lol.

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was another show. After every show someone runs back to the office to update the turn around times posted on the interwebs.

In a related story I just mailed in to PCGS a submission of 5 Morgans. Since I'm in no hurry I wrote down on the guess the grade sheet I staple to my copy of every submission (a little game I play) to expect delivery on or about November 1st.

Either I'll get it back much sooner or around Christmas. Either way, just grade the damn things the way I did and the delay will be forgiven.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone figure out what is going on?
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    Originally posted by: AMRC

Anyone figure out what is going on?

Business is up 40% over last year due to a business model change and this is vacation time. The business model change was in the Modern market. Prior to this year, NGC had 70% of the modern market and PCGS had 30% (in vintage the totals are the reverse of that). PCGS has aggressively tried to compete with NGC in the Modern market and the result has been stellar. It's looks like it is now 50/50 split between the two companies in the Modern market. So volumes are way up and with vacation time, they got behind.

It probably won't help that they announced a huge deal last week with a Chinese Mint that makes coins and medals. PCGS has agreed to grade $1M worth of coins every quarter through 2020. That probably is 200,000 coins every quarter which will add another 25% to volumes and probably doubles their Chinese market.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe it, NGC turn around times are as fast I have ever seen. I sent in a regular order than arrived last Thursday, already posted today and shipping out today. Had the same thing happen last week, not too mention I had an economy order only take week and half. Incredible. I have some inexpensive or coins where it don't matter that NGC works for me on, so I send them there instead.
  • Options
    so it's like the old Yogi saying: No one goes to that restaurant any more because it's too crowded.

FYI - Express Service is down to 7 days. I know some of your business models don't work at that level...just sayin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file