Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1908 Indian Head Cent - Guess The Grade (GTG)

oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
I picked up a nice Indian Head Cent for my (MS) 20th Century Type Set and wanted to see what the CU Members had to say about her in comparison to our host. Would you consider this RB or BN?

Thank you for your interest and comments! image
oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

Comments

• Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    It has a nice look to it.

I will guess 65RB. Every once in a while you see coins that you would think are RB but end up BN for some reason.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the pictures, BN.... in hand or better lighting... could easily be RB... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ricko
    From the pictures, BN.... in hand or better lighting... could easily be RB... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    65 BN
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brown by current standards. 30 years ago a coin with that look may have been called Red-Brown.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in the BN camp.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the coin very much. It appears to have mellowed quite evenly on each side and from side-to-side and that the coin likely sparkles in the light. The appearance looks to be what I would call a BN, but there may be some issues with inadequate lighting that could affect what it looks like in-hand. The only negative that I can see is the discoloration (spot) at 8:00 o'clock near the reverse rim.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS65BN. Nice coin!

Lance.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: 291fifth

Brown by current standards. 30 years ago a coin with that look may have been called Red-Brown.

This. You need at least 20% RD these days to get a RB designation. It's easier to make this distinction on Large and Half Cents than IHCs. Would like Rick Snow to chime in on the discussion. I could see the coin in a 65 BN holder, because the cheek is very clean and I don't see contact marks on the devices.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    March 1, 2010

"The definition of a Red Brown copper coin is a coin that contains from 5% to 95% Red surfaces. A lot of coins fall into this category and many coins may actually contain more Red than Brown surfaces. The hidden gems are the coins that display about 90 to 95% Red surfaces but are described as Red Brown surfaces, having just missed the full Red color designation."

http://www.pcgs.com/News/Price...ed-Brown-And-Red-Coins

...unless the guidelines have changed again.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    64RB
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put me in for 64BN
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    65BN I don't discern any major issues from the pictures.

OINK
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know the grade and color...so I won't guess. But want to say it is a beautiful IHC...just like I like them!
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ms 64 bn, jmo
  • Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it as a 64 RB
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS 64+ R/B
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: oih82w8

March 1, 2010

"The definition of a Red Brown copper coin is a coin that contains from 5% to 95% Red surfaces. A lot of coins fall into this category and many coins may actually contain more Red than Brown surfaces. The hidden gems are the coins that display about 90 to 95% Red surfaces but are described as Red Brown surfaces, having just missed the full Red color designation."

http://www.pcgs.com/News/Price...ed-Brown-And-Red-Coins

...unless the guidelines have changed again.

The above hasn't been in practice for 20 years plus pertaining to Large and Half Cents. I imagine IHCs are treated similarly. I remember a Large Cent labeled BN which had 15% RD that I bought in 1997.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    64rb
    Doug
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TPG's call on copper color can be infuriating. Here are a couple of RB's.

Lance.

imageimage

imageimage
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    64RB
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would grade it 65BN.
  • Options
    It seems that the forum is in concurrence with our host on MS65BN...

It looks more than 5% Red to me and the seller (David Kahn Rare Coins), but...she's a beauty!

• Options
    Did anyone notice the MPD?

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

8 in dentils?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    Not my image (David Kahn), but I noticed it after the purchase. I sent it along with a few others to our host for reholder, attribution and TrueView.

• Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    64BN Not enough red to make RB and the reverse spot keeps it from grading higher.
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Realone

Originally posted by: LanceNewmanOCC

8 in dentils?

While your photo is good and better than anything I could take it isn't a photo to pick up the top of the 8 which I believe i might see but then I believe I also see a top of the 9 to the left right below the 9 in the date. But if you never mentioned the 8 I would never have noticed. Again I am not really sure I see the top of the 8, but when I look at the 8 in the date and look right below it I believe I MAY see something but it also looks like a normal denticle too, a clearer better lighted and larger photo would be best in which to note it imo. It could be there, you have it in hand but I feel like I am flying blind.

The mushy denticles below the date really don't help do they? In a few weeks we shall hear from our host and see from Phil and company.

• Options
    I noticed that my Variety Attribution was correct MPD FS-301 S-4 (011.77)...the jury is still out on the RB designation...and no TruViews yet.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file