Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1928-s Peace. Retained lamination or what?

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
Beneath Liberty's chin, then also below her neck around De Franscici's initials and up to her lower hair strands.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not a lamination or die cracks, imo.

It appears to be a liquid stain or ? that dried up.

I've seen that effect on other silver coins.

PMS - Post Minting Staining
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    Originally posted by: FredWeinberg
    It's not a lamination or die cracks, imo.

It appears to be a liquid stain or ? that dried up.

I've seen that effect on other silver coins.

That was embarrassing image I thought "Oh crap, Fred Weinberg commented and he thinks it's a stain".

So I rinsed it under tap water, then dunked it in acetone...

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you weigh it to see if it's real?
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    ...and, did the anomaly come off?
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    If that area is still there after the acetone,

it could still be a stain or some type.

I just don't see it as die cracks or laminations.
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks raised at the edges to me...possibly glue or some other non-metallic adherent?
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    Hmm. 26.7 grams, I have no doubt it's real. Acetone and water didn't touch the bulges. They sure look like excess metal to me under magnification.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: FredWeinberg

imageimage

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not send it to Fred? He would be able to study it in hand... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The whole coin looks suspicious. In any case I would not want it.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks raised to me, which would either imply die fractures (very unlikely on a genuine die) or planchet lamination (more likely). You're sure it's not counterfeit?
  • Options
    Pretty confident it's real. More inclined to believe it's a foreign substance if a legit mint something-or-other is not likely.

--Severian the Lame
  • Options
    The coin is genuine, as far as I'm concerned.

That's not the issue.
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fred, This may be a planchet issue. Note how the "breaks" in the surface run thru the "1" & "OD."
  • Options
    Although the "D" --might-- --might-- be a small lamination,

after looking at all the other bag marks, etc. on the coin

I lean towards those areas ( 1, OD,) as marks, not laminations.

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    This 28 Peace has the throat feature, although worn, crappy pic, not mine, was just looking around.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file