Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Super shiney 184 year old silver coin

PCGS AU-58
Even though it lightly circulated, it retained its original skin for almost 2 centuries. Amazing.

Comments

• Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks to me like an overdipped au55.

Just my thought and no bean
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's currently largely untoned, but I doubt highly that it remained that way without significant dipping help.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    TheDukeKTheDukeK Posts: 359 ✭✭✭
    Looks great!!
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    My comment is more tongue in cheek.

I guess my point is why is this straight graded instead of AU details - 92 Cleaned?

This coin has obliviously been cleaned from a dip (or over dip) but because there is no "damage" from it, it gets a straight grade.

I've had coins come back Cleaned that have a more original look than blast white overdipped coins like this.

I guess the rule is if you don't like the look of the coin as an individual then don't buy it, but when an obvious super cleaned coin is holdered without the 92 designation it just makes you wonder.

PCGS's definition is:
    Cleaned
    Surface damage due to any form of abrasive cleaning. "Cleaned" covers a wide range or appearances, from a grossly polished coin to one where faint hairlines can be seen only at a particular angle or in only one area on an otherwise perfectly normal coin. This is perhaps the most frustrating of all the No Grades, because subtle cleaning is often difficult to detect in less-than-optimal grading conditions. "Dipping" (the removal of toning with a chemical bath) is not considered cleaning under this definition.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: joebb21

Looks to me like an overdipped au55.

Just my thought and no bean

+1

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    Pass...

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The luster doesn't look burnt enough to merit a no grade. It's graded AU, not MS65. I've seen white MS63's in holders this white where it's obvious the luster is a shade or two down. I think this one is quite acceptable as AU58. Essentially no different than many MS61's. If it had the sharp strike of an 1824 rather than the mushiness of your typical 1830's bustie, it might have graded MS61.

Looks like the pendulum is sweeping back hard the other way (ie any dip is too much dip). I had the pleasure of viewing a 98% white 1820's PCGS MS64 bust half back in 2008 that was crusty as could be. It didn't make sense to me. But there it was, blazing white and looking like it came off the dies the day before....just like an 1881-s Morgan out of a fresh bag. It did not look dipped. The only toning on that coin was a 2% rainbow blush on one edge of the rim from around 4-6 o'clock. Had the coin not had a bunch of obverse ticks, I'd have bought it for the 50% premium being asked. The only blast white bustie I can ever recall seeing that I felt could be 100% original skin and still looking fresh.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obviously dipped and not acceptable to me as an AU58. Miserable looking stars as well. Pass, Pass. Pass.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dipping is NOT cleaning.

If it was, then 90% of older 'white' coins would be body bagged.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DoubleEagle59
    Dipping is NOT cleaning.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DoubleEagle59
    Dipping is NOT cleaning.

They SHOULD be body bagged. As the coin market contracts over the coming years coins which are "market acceptable" today, such as many dipped coins, will become market unacceptable.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin was dipped, and the luster was not impaired. Therefore the coin got a straight grade. Some collectors like this look. They don't like toning.

BTW by the looks of the third photo of the coin and the slab, I think that it is going to tone again, maybe not that far into the future if it was not properly rinsed after the dip.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont think at all its deserving of a BB and perhaps in person the luster gives off a different look to make it au58. From my reading of the photos it looks bright and blah with typical 1830's weakness.
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dipped to perfection I'd say. Others might use different terminology.
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    Totally Market acceptable and somewhat of a norm.

The masses like white shiny coins and the op's coin is a prime example of a coin that has been conserved in a non destructive manner. Dipping is not always a bad thing.

While the coin has zero appeal to me the coin in question has a demand in the marketplace.

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭✭✭

BTW by the looks of the third photo of the coin and the slab, I think that it is going to tone again, maybe not that far into the future if it was not properly rinsed after the dip.

yup, i agree.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And it will be priced by the grade it got not it's looks.
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The real question is what was it dipped in?

Whatever it was (this) time removed 185 years of patina but preserved enough luster to allow for a straight grade. This coin now has an un-natural youthful look. I think that's the obvious issue.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: LindeDad
    And it will be priced by the grade it got not it's looks.

Sadly many will look at a price sheet and think the coin in question with the striped off surface and dip residue at the date from improper rinse is the same as a nice toned coin in the same grade and service. Its been said buy the coin not the holder , this coin is the poster boy for that.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pass as well, not for me.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭✭✭
    like it - super, dazzling lustrous coin
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess is that is a conservation service special

• Options
    TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    Too shiny for me. A 184 year old coin should somewhat look its age with at least some toning. Looks like it was dipped yesterday.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TigersFan2

Too shiny for me. A 184 year old coin should somewhat look its age with at least some toning. Looks like it was dipped yesterday.

What about a 160 year old coin? A lot of seated Philly half dimes to halves were hoarded and came to the market blast white over the past few decades. Those were original blast white coins (ie choice/gem 1857 and 1858 quarters come readily to mind). So why not a 185 year old coin? Isn't it possible?
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: roadrunner

What about a 160 year old coin? A lot of seated Philly half dimes to halves were hoarded and came to the market blast white over the past few decades. Those were original blast white coins (ie choice/gem 1857 and 1858 quarters come readily to mind). So why not a 185 year old coin? Isn't it possible?

If stored properly----yes, it is possible.

I don't care if a coin is white just as long as the luster is still booming.

And not all toned coins are attractive, anyway, as some are just plain ugly.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: Walkerfan
    Originally posted by: roadrunner

If stored properly----yes, it is possible.

I don't care if a coin is white just as long as the luster is still booming.

And not all toned coins are attractive, anyway, as some are just plain ugly.

Back to my comment... For a 184 year old coin, I'd like to see a light amount of toning, not much, just a little.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it... and if dipped, it seems it was done well.... coins can be stored properly in collections and not accumulate tarnish. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    looks better than the majority of the "conserved" silver that now looks more like newly minted clad, cleaned is cleaned, scrubbed with a brick or dipped. just like a coin that is holed is holed no matter where the hole is how big or how small the hole is. dipped is cleaned, unless you find a buyer that also flies the flag of denial
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file