Home Precious Metals

Generic silver help? Any ideas?

Can anyone help me out here. Today the wife had another doctors appointment so while she was in with the doctor I decided to check out a local antique shop. It is very small and not open all the time so I went in to see what they had. I get to the back and I found a cigar box that said 4.00 each with another 10% off. Right away they got my attention. I know silver and the sound it makes and when you stack these they make the same exact "ping/ring" that silver does. i ever compared the sound with a roll of silver eagles when I got hme and sure enough they sound the same. While at the shop I ask the guy working at the shop if he knew anything about these and he said I don't have a clue and that a dealer put them in the booth on Monday. I said ok and was willing to take the chance. I have been playing with these since I got them and I really think they are .999 but cant find any markings except the hallmarks which I have posted a picture of. Can anyone here tell me if they know what these are, who made them or where they come from?

I should add that I have tried 3 different magnets and not 1 of them sticks to any of these.

The Kennedy appear to be 1oz and the Delaware quarter appear to be 1 1/2oz. Any help you can provide would be a big help! Thanks in advance.

[URL=http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/relicsandcoins9989/media/DSCN6366_zpsizaabkfm.jpg.html]image[/URL]
[URL=http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/relicsandcoins9989/media/DSCN6367_zps0le5iscz.jpg.html]image[/URL]
[URL=http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/relicsandcoins9989/media/DSCN6368_zps5uqgjcwr.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/relicsandcoins9989/media/DSCN6369_zps6no4pphy.jpg.html]image[/URL]
[URL=http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/relicsandcoins9989/media/DSCN6370_zpsltqicvls.jpg.html]image[/URL]
[URL=http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/relicsandcoins9989/media/DSCN6371_zpsll4lossj.jpg.html]image[/URL]
Positive BST Deals as a seller : Wondercoin, Chumlee, Jerster, Perry Hall , DMarks, MWK, drewsef, SoCalBigMark, Lakesammman, Nurmaler

Comments

• Booger9989Booger9989 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    Someone sent me a pm to do an ice test. Put a cube on each and it began to melt right away. Left on for 30 seconds or so and the rounds got very cold. Thats a good sign I take it?

At 4.00 each with 10.00 percent off I took my chances
    Positive BST Deals as a seller : Wondercoin, Chumlee, Jerster, Perry Hall , DMarks, MWK, drewsef, SoCalBigMark, Lakesammman, Nurmaler
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usually silver rounds are marked in some way with the weight and fineness and the word silver or Ag. I doubt these rounds are silver. They may be silver plated brass.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assume you're using 31.1 grams as an ounce? I don't own any silver that is not hallmarked with weight/fineness/metal but have had sterling rounds in the past that were not marked.

Why did they sell so cheap? What are the dimensions?
    As for price it is all independent dealers who rent spots out. They may not have known what they were.

When I get home I will get size reference pictures. Thinking about cutting 1 of each in half to see what inside looks like. Would silver coated brass still ring just like silver eagles? Think they may be .925. Cant find that hallmark at all online.
  • ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hole one with a power drill and see what's in the middle
    Before you start drilling holes or cutting them in half I would suggest that you first try scraping the edge to see if there is brass underneath.

• bonkroodbonkrood Posts: 796 ✭✭✭
    The Delaware does say COPY, so I doubt there is any Silver in it.
    image Steam Power
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Found your JFK, kinda. Scroll down to the bottom. Might be silver plated if it's melting ice like that but....

http://www.jezuss.nl/go/gode.htm

THE PRESIDENTS OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Diameter : 40.1 mm

Distribution : Bayerisches Münzkontor Göde

Edge : Plain

Material : Copper Nickel

Orientation : Medal Alignment

Weight : 31.9 gram

Mintmark, eagle star, snake, jfk on yours looks different though so.....?
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mintmark on the quarter ones look like that Gode mark proper...
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Booger9989
    As for price it is all independent dealers who rent spots out. They may not have known what they were.

When I get home I will get size reference pictures. Thinking about cutting 1 of each in half to see what inside looks like. Would silver coated brass still ring just like silver eagles? Think they may be .925. Cant find that hallmark at all online.

If it doesn't say .925 or sterling, then it isnt. No dealer will ever buy them because the smelters won't buy them.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you scratch one yet?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not silver, perhaps a small amount of silver plate. Privately minted for tourists. As previously mentioned, if it does not indicate weight or fineness, it's not silver. I'm willing to presume, that your dealer knew that.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Find a bullion dealer or pawn shop with a PM tester.

Are returns allowed?
  • BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    Dang that sucks. My general rule is; if I don't recognize it I won't buy it.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No damage needs to be done. Just Google Specific Gravity test and have fun. Easy peasy.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
    Originally posted by: AUandAG

No damage needs to be done. Just Google Specific Gravity test and have fun. Easy peasy.

bobimage

It's not that "easy peasy" to do an accurate specific gravity test.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those look like commercial tourist coins.... I have seen them at shows... not silver. Cheers, RickO
    Quick update. Dropped them off at local shop and he told me to come back today. He had them tested. The Kennedy medals were silver so he bought them. The Delaware medals were silver over brass..... nice score
    What's the name of that shop. I've got a bunch for him to buy. US Law requires, that a fineness and weight must be on all bullion products.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: OPA

What's the name of that shop. I've got a bunch for him to buy. US Law requires, that a fineness and weight must be on all bullion products.

That law was enacted after these were made.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
    Originally posted by: AUandAG

That law was enacted after these were made.

bob

In what year?

• Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

Bullion products, yes. But if they were never intended to be bullion products, then they wouldn't have to state fineness. Seems crazy that they wouldn't state it but if they were trying to sell them based on the image they portrayed then they wouldn't care.