Home Sports Talk
Options

Why such a big deal over Ichiro's hit mark?

13»

Comments

• Options
    BGS_BuyerBGS_Buyer Posts: 206 ✭✭
    edited December 19, 2017 10:45AM

@LarkinCollector said:
    What is the average age of a MLB rookie? How many of those 9 years would have been spent in the minors if he were over here?

ok, his first 2 years were soft & he took off during his 3rd season
    make it 2 years in the minors
    and call it 17 years in a row with 200+ hits

I wouldn't think they would want him to rack up 210 hits in the minors during his 3rd year

• Options
    Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭
    edited December 19, 2017 11:10AM

@BGS_Buyer said:
    And when Pete Rose got the hit record, people referred to his lack of power ?

Ichiro spent 9 years in Japan
    and when he comes here, he racks 200+ hits 10 straight years
    safe to say he would have done it 19 straight years in the majors as well
    who ever did that !?
    who is to say he wouldn't have flirted with 300 hits in a season ?

also worthy to say, he had less hits against Japanese pitchers
    maybe the talent over there isn't so bad

King ? who knows
    but for sure an incredible hit maker

1. Ichiro did spend nine years in Japan, but was not good enough his first two years there to earn full time playing status, getting only 95 at bats his first year, and 64 his second year there. To think he could be getting 200 hits as an 18 year old in MLB when he wasn't even good enough to start in Japan as an 18 year old is ludicrous. And why stop at age 18? If you are going to make ridiculous statements, why not claim the 100 hits a year he would have gotten as a 13 and 14 year old. Jesus, are you serious?

2. Anyone can 'say' he would have flirted with 300 hits in a season, but all that does is make that person an idiot.

3. Yes, he had less hits vs Japanese pitchers. Considering he had 3,619 at bats vs Japanese pitchers, and 9,885 vs MLB pitchers, is that a surprise to anyone?? Japanese league plays about 25 less games per year too, so on a per year basis, one would also expect less hits.

4. "Maybe the talent over there isn't so bad". It isn't BAD, but it isn't MLB. Ichiro had a .353 lifetime batting average in Japan, .421 OB%, and .522 SLG%. In MLB he only ONCE had a season of a .400 OB%. His lifetime MLB lines are .312/.355/.403. He hit 118 home runs in Japan in 3,619 at bats, and 117 in MLB in 9,885 at bats. It was far easier to hit in Japan in his case and in the cases of all the other players who came from Japan to MLB.

For as much notoriety Ichiro gets for missing stats in MLB because he played in Japan, don't forget that without the notoriety for playing in Japan, he would NOT have been an instant starter in MLB. There is an equal chance he never would have even gotten drafted if he was born and raised in the U.S. So when you are forecasting 'what if's' don't forget that one ;)

1. He is an incredible hit maker. That is true, but it should be changed to that he was an incredible 'singles' maker. A hitter's value is comprised of far more things than how many singles a batter gets. I'm not going to bother explaining that one, as that info is in some other posts and threads on here, and anyone who knows anything about baseball needs no explanation on that. I'll let you do the work to find it and learn about it.
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2017 11:20AM

@Skin2 said:

@BGS_Buyer said:

who ever did that !?

King ? who knows

1. Ichiro did spend nine years in Japan, but was not good enough his first two years there to earn full time playing status, getting only 95 at bats his first year, and 64 his second year there. To think he could be getting 200 hits as an 18 year old in MLB when he wasn't even good enough to start in Japan as an 18 year old is ludicrous. And why stop at age 18? If you are going to make ridiculous statements, why not claim the 100 hits a year he would have gotten as a 13 and 14 year old. Jesus, are you serious?

2. Anyone can 'say' he would have flirted with 300 hits in a season, but all that does is make that person an idiot.

3. Yes, he had less hits vs Japanese pitchers. Considering he had 3,619 at bats vs Japanese pitchers, and 9,885 vs MLB pitchers, is that a surprise to anyone?? Japanese league plays about 25 less games per year too, so on a per year basis, one would also expect less hits.

4. "Maybe the talent over there isn't so bad". It isn't BAD, but it isn't MLB. Ichiro had a .353 lifetime batting average in Japan, .421 OB%, and .522 SLG%. In MLB he only ONCE had a season of a .400 OB%. His lifetime MLB lines are .312/.355/.403. He hit 118 home runs in Japan in 3,619 at bats, and 117 in MLB in 9,885 at bats. It was far easier to hit in Japan in his case and in the cases of all the other players who came from Japan to MLB.

For as much notoriety Ichiro gets for missing stats in MLB because he played in Japan, don't forget that without the notoriety for playing in Japan, he would NOT have been an instant starter in MLB. There is an equal chance he never would have even gotten drafted if he was born and raised in the U.S. So when you are forecasting 'what if's' don't forget that one ;)

1. He is an incredible hit maker. That is true, but it should be changed to that he was an incredible 'singles' maker. A hitter's value is comprised of far more things than how many singles a batter gets. I'm not going to bother explaining that one, as that info is in some other posts and threads on here, and anyone who knows anything about baseball needs no explanation on that. I'll let you do the work to find it and learn about it.

congrats
    you win jerk of the day award

sorry I didn't read all that
    but when insults are written all over
    I tend to pass

he had 262 hits one year
    38 away
    maybe if he was younger, he may have
    yeah, crazy thought

• Options
    edited December 19, 2017 11:26AM

@BGS_Buyer said:

@Skin2 said:

@BGS_Buyer said:

who ever did that !?

King ? who knows

congrats
    you win jerk of the day award

sorry I didn't read all that
    but when insults are written all over
    I tend to pass

he had 262 hits one year
    38 away
    maybe if he was younger, he may have
    yeah, crazy thought

Thanks, I appreciate it. I needed a good laugh today. Winning an award on top of it is pure joy.
    So how many hits for a 16 year old Ichiro in MLB? How about age 12?

• Options

have a great day & don't forget your meds

• Options
    edited December 19, 2017 11:33AM

38 more hits for Ichiro in that year brings his batting average to .426.....nice. I like make believe. I should apply that to the rest of my life.

Why stop at 38? If he could get 38 more, couldn't he get JUST ONE MORE and get 301 hits? If he could get 301, is 302 hits out of the quesiton?

• Options

@Skin2 said:
    38 more hits for Ichiro in that year brings his batting average to .426.....nice. I like make believe. I should apply that to the rest of my life.

You'll live longer without all that anger you carry around, over a simple sports conversation ... I'd hate to be your dog

• Options
    edited December 19, 2017 11:36AM

Why stop at 38? If he could get 38 more, couldn't he get JUST ONE MORE and get 301 hits? If he could get 301, is 302 hits out of the question?

I loved my dogs. They were the best. Good try though....and I won an award today, so i'm happy.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:
    Assumption of possible performance statistics are the best statistics. Right up there with what players would have done during war years.

Like OPS+

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2017 2:14PM

@JoeBanzai said:

@LarkinCollector said:
    Assumption of possible performance statistics are the best statistics. Right up there with what players would have done during war years.

Like OPS+

Actually not, but I will leave that research to you to find out why, unless Dallas chooses to explain it. It measures exactly what it is saying.

An assumption would be saying something like, "Harmon Killebrew lost three full seasons at the beginning of his career, and should be viewed as better since he didn't get to have full seasons like other Hall of Famers."

Another assumption would be to inaccurately guess the value of a walk, or to guess that value based on sluggers who supposedly can't run, when in fact that information about how many bases they can take is right there to see.

Or to assume the value of a single, walk, double, etc... when we already know.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@LarkinCollector said:

Like OPS+

Or like all stats really. :s Unless I'm writing the players paycheck or printing baseball cards for a living I'll just watch the game and decide if I like the player or not.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 19, 2017 3:21PM

Is the same person who stated Rickey Henderson was not that great now saying Ichiro is underrated? Lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2017 5:33PM

@grote15 said:
    Is the same person who stated Rickey Henderson was not that great now saying Ichiro is underrated? Lol..

I stand by that with great confidence

With said 3 players: Henderson, Boggs (prior discussion) & Ichiro, I'll take the 2 that produce hits, not flash, trash talk, and stolen bases

What is this board all about ? Attacking any and all conversation that differs from their thinking ???
    I thought this was "Sports Talk", not "Sports Attack"

I come in and defend Ichiro & bam!

... elitists wannabe's

• Options

@BGS_Buyer said:

@grote15 said:

I stand by that with great confidence

With said 3 players: Henderson, Boggs (prior discussion) & Ichiro, I'll take the 2 that produce hits, not flash, trash talk, and stolen bases

What is this board all about ? Attacking any and all conversation that differs from their thinking ???
    I thought this was "Sports Talk", not "Sports Attack"

I come in and defend Ichiro & bam!

... elitists wannabe's

Sooo how many hits does Ichiro get credit for in MLB at age 14??? You believe Ichiro had a chance at 338 hits in a season(it is afterall only 38 more hits than the 300 you suggested).

Johnny Damon has more career hits than Babe Ruth...your methods are stellar.

Also, Bill Buckner, Al Oliver, Johnny Damon, and Omar Vizquel all have more hits than Ted Williams, Mickey Mantle, David Ortiz, Frank Thomas, Vladimir Guerrero.

You provide good entertainment, kind of like a court Jester.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to see holiday spirit has been found in the Sports Forum

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2017 6:50PM

Ichiro is not even in the same zip code as Henderson. It is ludicrous to believe otherwise. That's not an attack (as melodramatic as that may sound), just a statement of fact.

I'd respectfully state also that you can learn quite a bit reading both Dallas and Skin's posts about baseball. They know what they are talking about.

Debates here can be lively, but all in good spirit. Sports can be be a passionate topic, too. Happy holidays to all!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    Ichiro is not even in the same zip code as Henderson. It is ludicrous to believe otherwise. That's not an attack (as melodramatic as that may sound), just a statement of fact.

I'd respectfully state also that you can learn quite a bit reading both Dallas and Skin's posts about baseball. They know what they are talking about.

Debates here can be lively, but all in good spirit. Sports can be be a passionate topic, too. Happy holidays to all!

Yes but can we be sure they are even human?

Dallas and Skin please sign in here

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:

@grote15 said:

mark

Prepare to be assimilated

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your base are belong to us.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:

@grote15 said:

mark

I think that likelihood is about 70%, or roughly the value of a walk compared to a single, unless the bases are empty, that is..

• Options

:D time to foil up the knuckles

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dallasactuary said:
    Your base are belong to us.

So, as well as an expert on the quality of Major Leaguers you are among stolen base leaders as well.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph