Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Did any Alaska gold rush era territorial coins circulate?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 20, 2017 12:15AM in U.S. Coin Forum
During the Alaska gold rushes (Klondike, Nome etc.), was any gold coined into locally circulating coins?

There are a few Alaskan gold pieces issued so just wondering if they were assayed and minted into circulation coins.

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not aware of any.....?? Keep in mind that the booms in AK were much later and coinage was being minted in SF, so the need for local minting was probably not needed so much.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The big gold strikes were in the Klondike between 1898 and 1902, and in the Fairbanks area a few years later. They didn't last very long. And due to weather conditions and lack of surface transportation, most goods moved by rivers when they weren't iced over. A railroad was started around 1906 in Seward, but it went bust shortly thereafter. I don't think any coins were minted, and if so, only in very limited quantities.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold coins are an area of interest for me and I have followed the different U.S. type gold coins for quite a while...I do not recall seeing any territorial Alaska coins... however, I will check my library in case I missed one. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file