Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My pics of Dahlonega half eagle

lunytune2lunytune2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
A few days ago I posted dealer pics of a half eagle purchase I was going to make . The thread went poof for some reason , but here are the pics , nothing like the dealer pics I posted in the first thread.

(Photos deleted to protect seller )

Comments

• Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you asking for opinions?image

I would really like to know what is was about the original post that made it go poof. I though it was quite educational as a whole.

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• Options
    Ya , nothing like original pic . I have no idea , can't find it anywhere.
  • Options
    Your image is more appealing than the earlier one posted. But my earlier comments still stand. The 50-D $5 is typically quite poorly struck. Your coin is better struck than most which makes it desirable for the date. And, based on the image, I am very comfortable with the grade on the holder. As I suspected, the hit on the obverse in the field above the nose is not as distracting as the first image suggested. Some of the other posters has some concerns.

However, the image still suggests the coin is lacking in originality. Not as blatant as the first image and that's what makes working with images so difficult. Until I actually see a coin in hand my comments on originality are conditional.

Again, not uncommon with Dahlonega pieces as a great majority have been messed with.

To me this is an average to above average example for a 50-D $5 as long as originality is not an objective. If you are assembling a complete set of Dahlonega Half Eagles then this could very well work as this is a very scarce issue in AU and higher. But if your objective is to obtain well struck, attractive Dahlonega Half Eagles you should consider Half Eagles from the 1840s, especially the 43-D or 44-D, both known as some of the most attractive minted at Dahlonega.

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the color looks a lot better. the color of the original post was way off. this is why it appeared so processed.
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love it! I read all the comments on the other post.... who cares what they think. There are many people who would buy it, including me.
  • Options
    Thank you , in hand the coloring is not much different than my stickered Dahlonega pieces. There is a little more "shine" to it , but faint . I may hold onto this .... I have 13 more days to decide image
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not going to comment further on the coin.

I will say that if I were the dealer who you bought this coin from, I would be very hesitant to honor the return after making this such a public discussion. The coin if returned would be significantly less liquid as a result of the negative attention which it has received.

In the future I would recommend reaching out to a few people privately who's opinion you trust before purchasing the coin if you need an opinion on it.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although it looks better in these pictures, I would still reserve judgement and comments until I could view such a piece 'in hand'. That being said, it is important only that you like it. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    It all depends what you are paying for the coin. In the first thread, I mentioned that I liked the coin.

It appears brighter on the NGC website.
  • Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I lurked on the other thread before it disappeared... interesting debate. I agree with those posters that said if you don't consider "originality" as an acceptance criterion, it's an above-average example of a market-acceptable processed coin. I also started my collecting journey acquiring random pieces that ultimately were not original, but were market acceptable. Even with that, though, I tended to be drawn to the look of a coin that was processed but later retoned, so that they were more muted than overly shiny. Part of this is that in the back of my mind, "too shiny" = "messed with," which goes back to my early days collecting in the 1970s and "cleaning" lightly circulated coins in grade school with pencil erasers. Live and learn.

Nowadays, I do look for originality, and wish I had learned that lesson earlier, because it would've saved me a fortune. To each his own though... collect what you like. Here are a few examples of original AU half eagles from my collection, so you can see what I'm talking about:

• Options
    nice coins mvs7 !!!!
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not a fan. I believe that I have once seen this coin in person.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: steveben
    nice coins mvs7 !!!!

Boy, I'll say!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed the posts of JJ Singleton and mvs7!!!! Great coins!!!!

• Options
    BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭

All the coins posted are great coins and the originality of the 4 of Mvs7 is quite outstanding.

I've always been a fan of natural coins and if it has great luster I'll even accept those that are quite dark.

[URL=http://s306.photobucket.com/user/bigal2749/media/coins/35fe75c7-8f20-4ed2-b3f5-b30909a3bbfd_zpsuspg1mmh.jpg.html]image[/URL]

However
    One of my favorite coins that I feel is an important subtype (much like the 1807+1808 halves) I had to buy this coin when it came up. I know it's been dipped but hope it will age in the holder.

[URL=http://s306.photobucket.com/user/bigal2749/media/coins/IMG_1735_zpsomxbwgtm.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s306.photobucket.com/user/bigal2749/media/coins/34bae3d8-d4d2-4963-be61-a323cd1b8be9_zpshsdttgw7.jpg.html]image[/URL]

The OP has the same situation where he's got a great and important coin but has been dipped (or similar treatment), But experts feel that close to 70% of small eagle $ in holders have been dipped).
  • Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "But experts feel that close to 70% of small eagle $ in holders have been dipped"

It's at least 70%...but I'm guessing that the percentage of messed with old gold coins is probably much higher than that...it's a real problem for those of us who want to buy original coins...how long do we wait...and at what price?

For the 1850-D...there are an estimated 175 coins surviving...but only 9 have been stickered by CAC...

• Options
    Packed up and on it's way back .
    Thanks
  • Options
    Im sure he appreciates the publicity that his newly returned coin has received on these two posts. Seriously, it is really poor form to post coins soliciting opinions in a public forum to only then return them. Am I alone in this thinking?
  • Options
    My original intention was to show off my new purchase till you made me feal so bad about it that I decided to return it
  • Options
    My original intention was to show off my new purchase till you made me feal so bad about it that I decided to return it

You said very clearly in your second post in the first thread that you bought it because it had a stronger mint mark than normal and that there was a 14 day return. You then followed up after the first day of posts saying "13 days left". You also said in this post that you would likely keep it after which I have not commented on your coin. Sorry if that doesn't fit your narrative. I won't comment on your coins any longer, post away.
  • Options
    When you asked why I chose it I knew there was something you saw . That's why I said of the return policy. The second post was actual pictures .
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have zero issues with returning it OR with posting it here. It is a really big world out there.. I highly doubt the re-sell has been hurt by a few badmouthing it here. And if it DOES hurt the resell.. that is on yall, not him. You could always private message him your bad thoughts about the coin.
  • Options
    people shouldn't get their feelings hurt over coins.

consider yourself very fortunate! for consideration:

1. you can buy a gold coin

2. you learned some things

3. you got your money back

you should be very happy. now you can take that money and put it into a nicer coin. best wishes.
  • Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see no problem with him posting the coin and returning it. He clearly stated in his first post the return policy is one of the reasons he bought it. After many experts told him how poor the coin was he would be a damn fool to keep it! You told him how poor it was because you thought he should keep it? I do not understand your line of thinking!
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Boosibri

Im sure he appreciates the publicity that his newly returned coin has received on these two posts. Seriously, it is really poor form to post coins soliciting opinions in a public forum to only then return them. Am I alone in this thinking?

I don't want to pile on the OP as I feel that he's a good guy BUT I agree with you. Personally I'll only post a coin after its a done deal for all the obvious reasons

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Hey LT2, you made the right decision. Now keep your powder dry until something special comes along.

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would think even after a deal is done and a coin on here get's "Poo poo'd"

A dealer might not be so aggressive to buy it back at a decent price, and a fair amount of time has passed. Or buy if they did not sell it to you. Even if it has all the bells and whistles. They want fresh. Or what they can call fresh. So collectors might want to keep this in mind when they ask for opinions.

More folks than you might think are watching this board.

I never post a coin before a deal is done though.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is really unfortunate and really raises some fundamental issues that collectors need to think about before buying coins. I will start another thread instead writing my thoughts here.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jwitten

I have zero issues with returning it OR with posting it here. It is a really big world out there.. I highly doubt the re-sell has been hurt by a few badmouthing it here. And if it DOES hurt the resell.. that is on yall, not him. You could always private message him your bad thoughts about the coin.

x2. That's part of what this forum is for and regardless most collectors don't frequent these webpages.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file