Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

White gunk in old green holders

REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
Lately I have noticed a white substance on gold coins in PCGS old green holders. Here's an example of Bust $2 1/2 with the substance between the left facing talons and shield.

What is this?

Comments

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coin looks to have nice color. Sometimes talc was applied in older collections which I would guess that this is.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless it changes over time, nothing short of an SEM scan will definitively identify it. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've also seen this on older gold coins in old green label slabs. They may have been lightly cleaned with a baking soda and water paste which used to be a common practice at one time. I've never heard of talcum powder being put on coins and I don't understand why this would ever be done.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It could also be jewelers rouge however the coin looks quite nice. Never know.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know what it is, but I have seen it on silver coins, too, both certified and raw.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Boosibri

It could also be jewelers rouge however the coin looks quite nice. Never know.

I'm guessing that coin's color is a lot paler that what is being shown in that pic. Most likely cleaned with a baking soda/water paste that wasn't totally rinsed off. If jeweler's rouge was used it would have a polished look and wouldn't have received a "body bag" during the green label era.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AMAZING strike for a $2.50
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: PerryHall

I've also seen this on older gold coins in old green label slabs. They may have been lightly cleaned with a baking soda and water paste which used to be a common practice at one time. I've never heard of talcum powder being put on coins and I don't understand why this would ever be done.

Maybe....being it is little.... it was changed and powdered prior to diapering.

...image
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: topstuf
    Originally posted by: PerryHall

Maybe....being it is little.... it was changed and powdered prior to diapering.

...image

• Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've often wondered what I see similar on silver coins. Mainly bust halves.

I often see it in the devices and have passed on coins because of it. It will be in the date, and inside other devices. Not in OGH though.

I have to pass as I take it as some kind of old cleaning residue, or polish. Even when slabbed, and stickered I still pass. One area wouldn't be a big deal I guess, but it will be in multiple areas. Not sure if it's the same issue you show here.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file