• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that good or bad?

peacockcoins

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, these sure fell off a cliff.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS-69 is $1,175 on the PCGS Price Guide.

MS-70 is still at $4,000.
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was a $3000 coin back in the day. Low mintages for modern stuff was still quite a new thing.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The enormous flood of moderns is bound to dilute the value of any given issue eventually,

unless the general or specific demand for them can somehow be increased dramatically

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So. . . I take it this was good for the buyer.

(Checking other auctions though... seems like it is kinda the going price for now.)

peacockcoins

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The secondary market for these commems seems to have been shrinking for years. I sold my collection of slabbed gold commems (nearly all were 69, proof and mint) at the Pittsburg ANA in 2004. Even then they were very tough to move and had to be discounted.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    I just looked in my 2014 Redbook......listed at $3,300.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The following are Red Book prices for MS-67 over the years.

Is there time to update the prices for 2017?

Red Book 2013 $3,600
    Red Book 2015 $3,200
    Red Book 2016 $2,500
    Red Book 2017 $1,600
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And a Grant gold dollar is about the same price with a 5,000 mintage.

But so what?
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $10 Gold Spouse Commem mintages "just about put the $5 gold Commems (and their "low" mintages) out of business". Discuss.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sold my pcgs ms69 $5 Jackie Robinson for $3,200 nine or ten years ago to a dealer.
  • DCWDCW Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It just goes to show that value is about supply vs demand and little more. The first spouse coins are an excellent example of this basic rule of investing. Their mintages are a lot lower than most modern coins, but few want them because they are an expensive and long series that look like arcade tokens.
    The Jackie Robinson commemorative isnt much more attractive, and it wont keep its value even with his enormous popularity. Sadly, sports fans (like most Americans) couldn't care less about coins.
    I like coins. And I like sports. But, I prefer not to mix the two.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,827 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boring faux rarities in any grade
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes, it would be nice if thread posters would give more info as not all of us live the same thoughts.

I, too, was like Braddick and wondering if the price was good or bad....I had to read all the comments to figure it out. If I had been the first one to open the thread, I would have just skipped by it like I have others in the past that give no real info base.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The National Parks $5 unc gold coin will likely unseat Jackie as the key this year. That might have spooked some long term holders off.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $10 Gold Spouse Commem mintages "just about put the $5 gold Commems (and their "low" mintages) out of business". Discuss.

The Gold Spouse series has done for Modern Gold issues what the Booker T Washington and George Washington Carver "series" did for the classic silver half dollar commems.

Congress being what it is, even mintages in the 1,000 to 2,000 range might not be a deterrent unless major operating losses at the Mint come into play.

I'm sure that the Canadian Mint has a successful business model, but I'd personally hate to see the US Mint go that route.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Boosibri
    Boring faux rarities in any grade

I would not call the Jackie Robinson coin boring, but I would say that it is over priced.

As these coins go, MS-69 is really a low grade for these things. For for the "investors" who believe in this coin it's MS or PR-70 or nothing.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
    Originally posted by: Bochiman
    Sometimes, it would be nice if thread posters would give more info as not all of us live the same thoughts.

I, too, was like Braddick and wondering if the price was good or bad....I had to read all the comments to figure it out. If I had been the first one to open the thread, I would have just skipped by it like I have others in the past that give no real info base.

Given the price history of this coin, AFTER the promotion that had it up to what, $4,000 (?), $870 is pretty bad. The train as left the station, and those who paid the promotional fares are left holding the bag.

This has happened many times with the high priced modern series of coins. They are hyped for while, and then it's out sight, out of mind. The simple fact is there are too many coins in this series to collect, and even with a "low mintage" of 5,000, there are too many of them on the supply side to maintain the high prices.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. How the mighty has fallen.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    It was a low mintage rarity, but demand has declined.
    I expect continued decline.

Anyone who thinks it is a beautiful coin, and wants one
    can buy a proof coin at melt.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's good for the seller and the buyer it's good enough for me.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guess the Grand sons will find what it's worth when that time comes, sure not selling now.
  • CoinMaster1229CoinMaster1229 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭
    With first spouse Gold, 4 or 5 coins per year have overwhelmed many trying to keep up.
    But now after this year, few coins will be coming out. Some years maybe none will be
    issued. This will give anyone that would like a set, time to fill in those missing years.
    Also most collectors want those PCGS70 first strike labels, there are a few coins that have less than
    100 PCGS70 First Strike labels available. These could be sleepers because they limit the
    maximum amount of PCGS70 first strike sets that can be put together.

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a former collector and mint "addict" I have abandoned all of these and couldn't give a rat's a-- for them - and especially the lunatic "First Strike" labels that are just that, labels. The mint and TPGs with the labelling mania have burnt away much of the collector base, and certainly not just me.
    I am still happy with my JR still in OGP and gotten for 170 dollars, or less than mint issue price. At least that coin had dispersion and was not so much a victim of flipper madness/scheming. It actually holds some meaning to me and all that Jackie went through - just wish they had picked a better design for the obverse.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
    This year as ended it for me. To keep up I had to buy two $5 gold coins in addition to two silver dollars and a half dollar at a combined cost of almost $1,000. There should be only ONE $5 gold coin per year in my opinion.

Next year they are going to issue a breast cancer set with a "rose gold" $5 gold coin, whatever that is. Breast cancer is a problem, no doubt about it, but I think that too much emphasis is placed on it relative to other forms of the disease such as prostate cancer.

As a collector you just can't keep putting money down a rat hole, even if you have a lot of resources. There are too many commemorative coins, and it costs too much to keep up with them. These coins have a very poor track record overall at keeping their value relative to the issue prices.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file