Home U.S. Coin Forum

Coinstar find

goldengolden Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
The Coinstar machine was loaded yesterday. I got 16 Lincoln Memorial cents, 1929 cent in g., 1943 Steel in poor, clad dime, Canadian Quarter and nickel, Bermuda dime and a 5 centimos from Venezuela. Alas no silver.

Comments

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice. I mentioned before that steel cents are a special find for us metal detectorists. Because of their composition, they're in a zone we typically discriminate. And even if we were to find them, they'd be terribly corroded if they survived at all.

Found this one Saturday in the CoinMax:

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Weiss

Nice. I mentioned before that steel cents are a special find for us metal detectorists. Because of their composition, they're in a zone we typically discriminate. And even if we were to find them, they'd be terribly corroded if they survived at all.

I have never found a steel cent in 30+ years of detecting, for the reasons mentioned. Only time I've heard of a detectorist digging one was when a fella dug a whole roll of cents. The paper wrapper had long since rotted away in the ground, but the coins were still stacked together. The steelie was in the middle of the roll and therefore mostly protected by the surrounding coins, though no doubt it rusted on the edges.

Twice I have found steelies in circulation, though- once in change and once in one of those convenience store "give a penny/take a penny" dishes. In both cases they were pretty rusty and nasty looking.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thirty seven cents in the Coinstar yesterday.... three Rosies and seven cents.... nothing of collector interest. Cheers, RickO
  • My best Coinstar find was 32 ordinary clad quarters.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow.... 32 quarters?? Amazing...most I have found in one haul, was, I think, five. That

is quite a haul....Cheers, RickO
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My last find was 4.50 in Singapore Dollars, and a 1959 D Roosevelt Dime.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    here's mine from the other day:

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,031 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I received a worn 1945-D US cent in change from a grocery store on Memorial Day.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    I've never found anything at the Coinstar near me. Someone else must have it staked out.
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,782 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: garrynot
    I've never found anything at the Coinstar near me. Someone else must have it staked out.

Keep trying! That's the thrill of the hunt!
    One more thing... Try looking under the machine as well, at the front of the machine. Sometimes people drop coins. Good Luck.image

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file