Home U.S. Coin Forum

Snapped a couple of pics of the 1933 Saint Gaudens double eagle..............

bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
Through glass with at least a 4 inch depth, hence the photo quality. American History Museum in DC. Refresh my memory, not including the Langbord specimens, how many of these are known? I'm thinking two, this one and the Farouk specimen?

Oh yeah, and I cringed when I noticed the metal tabs holding the coin in place.

Comments

• WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, can't they slab it properly first?
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,145 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iirc, the smithsonian has three of them
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since I'm not likely to get to the Smithsonian, I appreciate your taking the time to take the pic. Only chance I'll get to view is through someone else's lens.

thanks,

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), [email protected]
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the gold tabs holding the coin in place is of a higher purity, it should be alright.

peacockcoins

• commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,077 ✭✭✭
    There is only one coin that is legal to own, the Farouk coin. This one (and I believe two others) are owned by the Federal government, so they are not legal to own.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,846 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frosty!
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,...
  • valente151valente151 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭
    I recall handling just one in the vault at the Smithsonian and another was on display. I could have easily overlooked a third though. Here's a pic of the one in the vault:

And a family photo of a superb gem 30-S and 27-D
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,827 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There has to be a better way to fix the coin in the display
  • MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Boosibri

There has to be a better way to fix the coin in the display

• HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Almost looks holed. image
  • mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The OP's picture is not of an authentic 1933 double eagle.

There are thirteen 1933 double eagles known to exist.Two are in the Smithsonian.These two were sent there by George McCann head cashier in October,1934.

One is the ex Farouk specimen.The Langbords found ten in their safety deposit box about the time the ex Farouk piece was fetching $7M for our government and Stephen Fenton.

The OP's piece looks like a replica.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• NapNap Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mr1874
    The OP's picture is not of an authentic 1933 double eagle.

There are thirteen 1933 double eagles known to exist.Two are in the Smithsonian.These two were sent there by George McCann head cashier in October,1934.

One is the ex Farouk specimen.The Langbords found ten in their safety deposit box about the time the ex Farouk piece was fetching $7M for our government and Stephen Fenton.

The OP's piece looks like a replica.

That's the Smithsonian's coin (one of the two). It's easily identifiable by that blemish in the field at 3:00 that looks like the letter 'A'.

And it's displayed at the American History Museum in DC (part of the Smithsonian)
  • JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭✭

That's the Smithsonian's coin (one of the two). It's easily identifiable by that blemish in the field at 3:00 that looks like the letter 'A'.

And it's displayed at the American History Museum in DC (part of the Smithsonian)

I stand corrected.Thanks for pointing this out.

I am aghast at the tabs holding the coin onto the cheesy cardboard mount.
    Is the Smithsonian aware of how one of its most valuable and historic pieces is being handled?

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great pictures of these gold eagles.... I wonder if the Langbord case is successful, will more surface.... Cheers, RickO
    Smithsonian should get their two 1933 Double eagles holdered like they did for the ten Langbord pieces discovered by the Langbord's in their safety deposit box.

Whoever borrows the 1933 double eagles should be instructed to leave in the TPG holder and that would include the American History Museum,part of the Smithsonian.

• dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw one at an ANA show a while back. Sort of so-so, especially when an UHR was in the same display.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am happy to read secret agents didn't follow you home to confiscate your photos. image
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, and I thought NGC's "prongs" were bad.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file