Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dimeman's CS show report.....

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well, after the dreaded 4 hour trip and Chicago traffic I got to the show around 10:45 on Thursday.

I headed to Gerry Fortin's to look at a Bust Dime that he had on his site that I had been watching. It was a 1832 JR5 in PCGS45. It was even better in hand. I then hit Brian Greer's table and David Kahn's table. Didn't find anything at David's table I needed, but thanked for the beautiful 1902-O that I had just purchased from him. I then mentioned to Brian that I was doing a Variety Type Set and that I didn't know of many Barber half varieties. He said he had a 1907-S/S in PCGS15. It was a nice original coin so I pulled the trigger. I then started walking the floor starting at one end and hitting every table. I saw a Bust Dime at Rich Uhirch's table, but someone was looking at it and taking forever to decide on it, so I left and continued my quest. I stopped by later and the coin did sell. So then I hit Jim McGuigan's table and found 2 Bust Dimes I purchased. A 1832 JR3 and 1829 JR12. We talked a while and he knew Stone (Winston Zack) and some others I deal with. Spent the rest of the day walking the floor with no luck. That night I filled out my submission of 18 coins to get attributed that were already in PCGS holders.

Friday I hit the floor again and turned in my submission to PCGS in the morning. Then shortly after noon I met with Mike (BigDawgie) to get my 1939 DDR Jeff and paid for that. Great coin....thanks Mike. We talked for about a half hour and then we each headed out looking for varieties. I was winding down and about threw all the tables when I hit Miller's mint's table on the second to last table. I found 2 coins there I wanted. A 1905-S/S Barber Dime raw. This variety isn't in the CPG yet ... maybe it will be someday. And a half dime for my Variety Type Set....the 1872-S MPD 302 that is a nice raw AU.

Then on the last row I came to Larry Brigg's table. I have been dealing with him for over 30 years. A found another half dime for my Variety Type Set....the 1858 over inverted 1858 in a very nice VF raw. WE then sat and talked coins for a while and he asked if I needed a 1867 dime. I said yes and he said he had 3. I was elated...I have been trying to get that key back for years. It has the lowest mintage of any dime.....6,000. I picked out a nice VF and bought it. THIS WAS THE HIGHLITE OF THE SHOW!

I the considered my day done when I decide to go back to Doug Bird's table. I had stopped by and looked at a 1804 Spiked Chin half cent in PCGS VF20. I him hawed around and finally pulled the trigger. My first half cent ever. And Doug was a really nice guy to deal with.

Well, that sums it up. I took these raw coins to PCGS and submitted them and by now it was 5:30 and time to head home.

GREAT SHOW! The 1867 filled a really big hole.

Now the wait for the results from PCGS. I have a 7 coin raw submission and a 18 coin submission of mostly Bust Dimes for attribution that are already in PCGS holders.

Comments

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Now that's how things get done.

Congrats on such a successful show. image

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No idle time for you! Glad you found some coins you needed.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, I wish that I had that type of fire and determination to "seek and destroy" your want list. Looking forward to the images!

Is the 1867 10C the F-101, 102 or 103?

http://www.seateddimevarieties...ntmark/1867varpage.htm

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you had a great time!
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    Lots of fun and a nice hunting trip. This is THE fun for the hobby.
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. It sounds like the trip was worth it. Congratulations on your finds.

I hope your submission turns out great for ya!
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    An excellent adventure image
  • Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the interesting show report.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the additions. Best of luck with the grades.

Mike
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice first person report, DimeMan! Waitta support the dealers.

What about the food and wine, though?!
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad you had a great show!!

Thanks for the report!!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy Cow, you went on a rampage through that show! Big congrats on so many additions and things accomplished. Happy for you!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on having a choice of 3 coins on the key date you have been looking for !
  • Options
    Originally posted by: oih82w8
    Man, I wish that I had that type of fire and determination to "seek and destroy" your want list. Looking forward to the images!

Is the 1867 10C the F-101, 102 or 103?

http://www.seateddimevarieties...ntmark/1867varpage.htm

It's a 1867-P I don't know which F number it is.....it really doesn't matter. I just needed the business strike.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: MilesWaits
    Very nice first person report, DimeMan! Waitta support the dealers.

What about the food and wine, though?!

No wine.....Ate at regular places.....I go to shows for coins.....don't really care about anything else.image

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed the report. Interesting read. Finding the 1867 would have been a great find, but three at the same dealer's table , that's just plain crazy .... Glad you pulled the trigger .... You certainly were a busy guy. Thanks for the tip on the 05-S Dime....will look at mine a bit more closely.

Good luck with the submissions.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    Your back pocket must be on fire! I can't wait to see your results! Good luck Did I mention I'm jealous.
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I envy you both the chance to go to the show and all the fun you had. But, while I envy you, thanks for posting. It really made me wish I was able to attend! It sounds like you had a great show.
    Mark

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good Report!Good Show! Only complaint, No one had brought their "Burnished" Silver Eagles. At least in the original boxes. Although, some did have them slabbed. I picked up a nice NGC 1953 PF 68 Cameo Quarter!-joey

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dimeman;

Nice report indeed!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look forward to you posting of the the NW additions to your sets

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's how you do it.
  • Options
    rkprkp Posts: 434 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the 1867 Dimeman. I can't wait to see some pics. I need one of those too.
  • Options
    I submitted all coins under SP so I will get TV's of all coins.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love it. A man on a mission! Good on you Jon

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Justacommeman

mark

Thanks Mark....when are you going to unblock me.image

I promise not to argue about football.image

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DIMEMAN

Originally posted by: Justacommeman

mark

Thanks Mark....when are you going to unblock me.image

I promise not to argue about football.image

You are still on PM probation. Rules are rules

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good show because I was there and got what I was after. Hope the results turn out good for you!
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice report. You must have a lot of energy. Glad you scored several needed coins.
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice report, I always enjoy reading them.
    Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice report! Sounds like you had a very successful show! You hit all the right tables!
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great run, time to stock the war chest back up now and wait for the grades.
  • Options
    Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the report!
  • Options
    BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭
    This was my first Chicago Central States Show! I have to say for this lowly Jefferson Nickel collector, it was pretty darn nice! While I did not Cherry any Cherry Pickers, I picked up a few nice Bu, minor varieties. A couple highlights were 1) handing DIMEMAN the 1939 DDR for his All Variety Type Set, 2) hooking up with Rich Uhrich for a chat and him picking a few varieties from my extras and 3) upgrading my 1942-D/Hor D and 1938 DDO FS-106!!!

There were more dealers than usual that brought Jeffersons to the show. These are usually the last items packed and if no room........left behind!

I'll be back to this one!
  • Options
    So these upgrades are the coins we talked about Friday???

If so, great. I know how pumped you were. Hoping for 1 and you got both!!!

• Options
    BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes! There were 5 coins submitted, but the other 3 were 1954-S/D's all in MS65 holders. There is one of those 3 that should be an MS66 or even a Plus, but to no avail. The nice one will go back again at some point! So, I think 2 out of 3 was pretty frickin' awesome!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: BigDowgie
    Yes! There were 5 coins submitted, but the other 3 were 1954-S/D's all in MS65 holders. There is one of those 3 that should be an MS66 or even a Plus, but to no avail. The nice one will go back again at some point! So, I think 2 out of 3 was pretty frickin' awesome!

It was good seeing you Mike. See you at FUN I hope.

I'm pumped waiting for my results!

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was great seeing both Dimeman and BigDowgie at the Central States show.

I'm sorry I didn't have two of those dimes you were interested in, but as you know most of my coins are one of a kind.

Congratulations on acquiring your 1867 dime! When I was collecting, that was one of the last coins I acquired.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    Thanks everyone for the comments.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report... almost felt like I was with you.... thanks... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice report - thanks for sharing with us, and congrats on all the new pick ups!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file