Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Purging question

lunytune2lunytune2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
I am still in the process of cleaning my collection. Liquidating rookie purchases and ones that don't fit in. I have a tough coin in a genuine holder liquidate or keep ? It will never strait grade. Pcgs says population 80-100.
Oh ya , 1845-O quarter eagle.

Comments

• Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you like the coin, and can live with the fact it is in a genuine holder, keep it. If it bothers you that it was a "rookie" purchase, sell it. But...from my experience, you will regret it as you will remember the population and not the problems.
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was a time when no coins were in tpg holders and if you liked the coin you weren't worried about the holder
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dispose of all problem coins. The problems won't go away and will continue to bother you for as long as you own the coins.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you collecting or dealing? If a collector, then keep it.... if you are a seller, get rid of it..

Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: pocketpiececommems

There was a time when no coins were in tpg holders and if you liked the coin you weren't worried about the holder

But if a dealer or other knowledgeable person told you it was flawed would you still want it?
  • Options
    lunytune2lunytune2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    The genuine does not bother me at all . My focus went from gold in general to just half eagles but was just wondering if I should hang on to it due to its population , or send it on its way .
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    HR4 (75-100 exist) coins aren't that rare. You can always replace it. It is a matter of money. If you check Coinfacts, there are at least five auctioned this year. In short, if you like it, keep it. If you don't, upgrade it.
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Liquidate everything you are not 100% happy with and then focus from now on.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: 291fifth

Dispose of all problem coins. The problems won't go away and will continue to bother you for as long as you own the coins.

That has been my experience.

There is a small collector base for the 45-O QE, and even though it is scarce in the series, the fact that it has a problem will make it forever an illiquid, low demand coin.
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it suffers from an old cleaning, I'd crack it out and see if it might retone.
    If there are other problems and it needs to be certified to assure authenticity to the next buyer, leave as is.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have to ask then you have the answer.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm about to do a liquidation sale of TONERS. Best of luck with yours.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: RYK

Originally posted by: 291fifth

That has been my experience.

There is a small collector base for the 45-O QE, and even though it is scarce in the series, the fact that it has a problem will make it forever an illiquid, low demand coin.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy "Genuines" when you crave frustration at sale time.

I have nothing against "Genuine" if it were done like ANACS started it and if all the slabs were different color and VERY noticeable compared to a problem free slab.

As it is, I despise the Gennies.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: topstuf

Buy "Genuines" when you crave frustration at sale time.

I have nothing against "Genuine" if it were done like ANACS started it and if all the slabs were different color and VERY noticeable compared to a problem free slab.

As it is, I despise the Gennies.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: LindeDad

If you have to ask then you have the answer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file