Home Precious Metals
Options

The POWER of .01

In reviewing my past transactions as a seller on eBay, I noticed what I guess one could call a trend. It was amazing how the hammer price on so many auctions ended in .01.

Like 173.01, 26.01, 442.01. It didnt matter the amount it ended for, bu the last 2 digits was .01.

I had some time on my hands, so I took a sample of 200 auctions. Amazingly, 118 of them ended in .01.

When you bid on something on eBay, or anywhere online I suppose, do you make your bid end in .01? Being that so many seem to, at least from my experiences as a seller on there, maybe a better way to win an auction if you really want to win it is to make it end in .02 LOL.
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• Options
    element159element159 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭
    Sometimes I go just a bit over a round number, so that I have a better chance of winning a tie bid. I dont know if that has ever actually helped me though!

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My last 60 days auction stats.....2 out of 41 ending in .01 -- 2 more ending in .05, with the rest ending in .00
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is because the last bidder bid an even dollar amount (as most bidders do) but didn't outbid the high bidder. The auto bid feature adds .01 to give the auction to the higher, earlier bidder.

Anytime I place a late, higher bid I always add a few more cents over the next required increment in hopes that the last second bidder will bid just the next increment. My extra pennies often keep me in the lead with no time for him to re-bid.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: piecesofme

In reviewing my past transactions as a seller on eBay, I noticed what I guess one could call a trend. It was amazing how the hammer price on so many auctions ended in .01.

Like 173.01, 26.01, 442.01. It didnt matter the amount it ended for, bu the last 2 digits was .01.

I had some time on my hands, so I took a sample of 200 auctions. Amazingly, 118 of them ended in .01.

When you bid on something on eBay, or anywhere online I suppose, do you make your bid end in .01? Being that so many seem to, at least from my experiences as a seller on there, maybe a better way to win an auction if you really want to win it is to make it end in .02 LOL.

The idea is to force other bidders into the next bid increment. Let's say the bid is at $125 and bid increment is $1. If my max is $125.01, then a snipe bid of $125.02 won't win. It would have to be $126.01 Pretty sure that's the logic behind it.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good information, POM. In the future I'll be sure to add 2 cents to my bid.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: PerryHall
    Good information, POM. In the future I'll be sure to add 2 cents to my bid.image

Thanks PerryHall. In the future I'll be sure to add 3 cents to my bid image

• Options
    Originally posted by: hchcoin

Thanks PerryHall. In the future I'll be sure to add 3 cents to my bid image

I was waiting for that.image

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a $.77 kind of guy
  • Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

So Much for trade secrets......

If your going to snipe and item DIG Deep and go spend that extra penny.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have decent luck with .09.

If it's a coin I *really* want, I become a total spendthrift and go .19. image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always throw another cent or any odd number. This works until there is a tie then your bid shows the odd number and another savvy bidder can see its your max. Shows up a lot when I'm bidding on silver art bars. There in the under 50 dollar range and .50 cent increments are common.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: rte592

I've been known to bid $1000 on a $100 item to secure winning it in the last second of an auction if I want it bad enough.
  • Options

I've been known to bid $1000 on a $100 item to secure winning it in the last second of an auction if I want it bad enough.

Dang! That sounds really risky to me. What would you do if you won it at close to your bid?

• Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭

Dang! That sounds really risky to me. What would you do if you won it at close to your bid?

I'll tell you when it happens. image

If I win it for the insane bid, that means there was at least 1 other person that was willing to pay for it for that amount as well. If the other bidder wins, that's his baby to work out. Either way, a new market value is established for said item.

Otherwise, I've yet to do it where it didn't end up being right at about where market value was at that particular time.

Like I said, I only do it for key items that I want to add to the collection no matter what.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I used to bid on ebay, for items that I really wanted, I would enter a nuclear bid in the last 3 to 5 seconds.... never lost an item I wanted. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ricko
    When I used to bid on ebay, for items that I really wanted, I would enter a nuclear bid in the last 3 to 5 seconds.... never lost an item I wanted. Cheers, RickO

I still do that and as POM indicated: winning bid would "end up being right at about where market value was at that particular time."
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I won an auction last night with a snipe bid in the lsat 4 seconds that was only 2 cents higher than the other bidder had and had live bid it 30 minutes earlier.

Not sure how my bid won when it was less that the next allowable minimum bid?

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: GRANDAM
    I won an auction last night with a snipe bid in the lsat 4 seconds that was only 2 cents higher than the other bidder had and had live bid it 30 minutes earlier.

Not sure how my bid won when it was less that the next allowable minimum bid?

Likely it was 2 cents higher than the other bidder's maximum bid, but at least one increment more than his bid as displayed near the close of the auction.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes I have to bid a little odd when I'm helping someone else spend their money that has their name stacked up a couple time as the high bidder.

I start with .01 first bid, .02 second bid and so on till I figure out where their high bid is at....

I was playing around with this one bidder and ended up high bid (oopsie)

It was a mint 1998 W Proof One Quarter Ounce Gold Eagle with box, papers, all the bells and whistles.

I didn't have one in that size and Paid too much over spot, But Not much of a party foul.

Soon as gold gets back to $1500 oz, I'll be in good shape.image

US $380.08 me winner

US $380.01 him

US $375.99 him

US $370.07 me

US $355.06 me

US $345.05 me

US $335.04 me

US $325.03 me

US $315.02 me