Home U.S. Coin Forum

178 years ago today April 17

JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 18, 2017 3:06PM in U.S. Coin Forum
178 years ago today the United States Branch Mint in Dahlonega struck their first coins. 80 classic head half eagles were coined.

The branch mint first opened its doors to the public on February 12, 1838 and almost 1000 ounces of gold were deposited in the first two weeks. First attempt of coining took place on February 28 but was abandoned due to a failure with the steam engine. It was not until April that the proper repairs could be completed.

Superintendent Joseph Singleton wrote to Mint Director Robert Patterson the following day "I believe our coin equal to any made in the world"

The depositors were quite relieved to see production begin and the coins were well received by the locals, who called the half eagles "Shiners" as they had never seen newly minted coins.

Here is my 38-D Half Eagle in the Findley Ridge Collection. Who knows...maybe one of the 80?

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
About Findley Ridge

Comments

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful half eagle. What a cool coin. I've always liked the Classic Head. Short lived.

Lance.
  • ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a truly impressive coin! I love the color and luster!
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    With that strike it could very well be one of the first struck. That's a beauty!

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Strikingly beautiful!

'dude
    Got Crust....y gold?
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ironmanl63
    That is a truly impressive coin! I love the color and luster!

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Southern gold is a "someday" goal for me.

Nice coin!
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the historic reminder. Lovely coin.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,492 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats super nice, i like image
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love Southern Gold!

• JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2017 3:11PM
    Hey all, thanks for the kind words on my 38-D Half Eagle.

Here is the only known photograph of the Dahlonega Mint. It was only discovered in 1997. We believe the image was taken in 1877. The people are cadets (students) of North Georgia Agricultural College, not troops as has been reported in some publications. Prior to that time we had no images. It was discovered in a file titled old photographs in the University of North Georgia archives when Price Memorial Hall (the college building that was built on the granite foundation of the mint after it burned in 1878) was being remodeled.

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super gold coin... old Southern gold has charm...Cheers, RickO
  • BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome!!!!!!!!!!

• GeorgeKelloggGeorgeKellogg Posts: 1,251 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: JJSingleton
    Hey all, thanks for the kind words on my 38-D Half Eagle.

Here is the only known photograph of the Dahlonega Mint. It was only discovered in 1997. We believe the image was taken in 1877. The people are cadets (students) of North Georgia Agricultural College, not troops as has been reported in some publications. Prior to that time we had no images. It was discovered in a file titled old photographs in the University of North Georgia archives when Price Memorial Hall (the college building that was built on the granite foundation of the mint after it burned in 1878) was being remodeled.

As to the date of the above Dahlonega Mint Building photograph, we can bound the date between December 16, 1876 and December 19, 1878. In my estimation, the photograph was likely taken in January 1877.

The reason for this is that a newspaper item from December 15, 1876 stated that military equipment from the War Department was on the way, which was to be used to outfit the cadets and thus inaugurate the military department of the college. Since the cadets are fully equipped in the photograph, it was clearly taken after mid-December 1876. The last date that the photograph could have been taken is December 19, 1878, since the old Mint Building burned to its granite foundation in the early morning darkness of December 20, 1878.

However, I don't believe that the nine days before Christmas was enough for the equipment to have arrived, been inventoried, and issued to the cadets -- before classes resumed in January 1877. The season appears to be Winter, based on the bare tree limbs, which is consistent with the January 1877 date. Finally, it is logical to assume that the equipment would have been distributed to the cadets soon after classes resumed -- making an outstanding opportunity for a group photograph to be taken of the newly outfitted students.

One other photograph of a portion of the Dahlonega Mint Building is known, which shows the first graduating class of the college, taken on or about July 3, 1878 -- less than six months before the building was destroyed. The class is posed directly in front of the Dahlonega Mint Building (then the main college building), below an open window. The finished granite foundation of the Dahlonega Mint Building can be seen behind the graduates, as well as the grooved stucco, above the granite.
    "Clamorous for Coin"
  • GeorgeKelloggGeorgeKellogg Posts: 1,251 ✭✭
    Duplicate post deleted.
    "Clamorous for Coin"
  • AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

J. J. Singleton: "178 years ago today the United States Branch Mint in Dahlonega struck their first coins. 80 classic head half eagles were coined. "

Coincidentally, I wrote an article earlier this year, after extensive research, in which I explained that a set of Classic Head Half Eagles, including the 1838-C and the 1838-D, may be truly completed for less than $5000 per coin, often much less, including really rare coins!

As emphasized in this thread, these coins are historically important and very interesting.

U.S. Gold Coins for less than $5000 each, Part 7 – Classic Head Half Eagles ($5 gold pieces)

In terms of history, the founding of the Dahlonega Mint is best understood in the context of the Southern Gold Rush, which has been overshadowed by the California Gold Rush. The Southern Gold Rush is a very important part of American history, yet few historians focus upon it.

The Southern Gold Rush, the Seymour Collection, and Templeton Reid

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bump for 179 years ago.

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting,

• StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

Great post(s)! Thanks for the bump. I missed this a year ago.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always nice to see that gold coin again... what a beauty.... Cheers, RickO

• goldengolden Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still love your 1838 -D.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a great thread! The coins and history are super cool!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file