Home U.S. Coin Forum

Poll - How often do you use coins for their intended purpose?

Cash, credit, debit, checks, and even Bitcoins or barter.

There are a lot of tender options.

I rarely use cash and so I don't have a need to use change.
Usually I use my PayPal MasterCard so I get 1.5% cash back for most transactions, unless my credit card has a better cash back deal.

How often do you use coins in commerce?

Comments

• ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well... I like to shim the cutters on my metal lathe with nickels.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use coins several times per day. I am trying to use credit cards as little as possible as they make overspending far too easy. Cash is king for me. I am not typical as most people I see at stores of all types seldom use cash.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use cash every day....and coins at least once a day, often more. Cheers, RickO
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I put a penny in a fuse box the other day does that count?
  • silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    when I don't feel like spending a $20 on candy or a soda then change comes into play

• Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    I usually have a pocket full of coins and use them for most small purchases.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also use coins every day.

I usually have the correct change in hand waiting for the people in front of me to

get done swiping cards and punching in numbers.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to tender enough quarters with a transaction to get back only change for a quarter. Now I just accumulate the change (with quarters) and haul it to the bank.
    Tempus fugit.
  • jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    I use coins every day and several times a day. image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few times per week.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a coin dealer who deals in dollars and cents , along with a few dozen other country's change. image
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I phone it in. Or online.

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every couple of days / A few times per week.

Mostly for a large soda at the gas station for 85 cents or a 75 cent snack at the gym.

3-4 times per week sounds about right.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I try to use cash on smaller dealings so that local business owner don't have to give a cut to the plastic companies
  • TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Couple times a week....

I live out of the ATM, and almost always pay with cash, (larger expenses with CC). But I HATE digging in my pocket for exact change. Coins stay in my pocket until the end of the day, when they go into the "change jar" on my dresser. Once that fills up, I take them to the Coin Star machine, and cash them in for an Amazon gift card number, (no fees for gift cards). I buy enough little things on Amazon to keep my balance approaching zero most of the time.

Drives my wife batty to watch me pull $2 or $3 in change out of my pockets every night....which just makes it extra fun. image

Added: It occurs to me that technically, I guess I "use coins" multiple times daily. I'm just a net receiver/rare payer of coins.... :/
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: bronco2078

I put a penny in a fuse box the other day does that count?

• TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Hydrant
    The problem around here is that as a general rule, the person on the other side of the counter can't. Count that is. Makes for a very difficult and time consuming transaction. So basically, the only time I use coins is when I buy peanuts from the machine at the hardware store. That machine is really smart. Unlike....ah....well...you get the picture.
    There are 3 levels of Point of Sale systems.

1) The cash register shows the total sale and the cashier has to figure out the change due.

2) The cashier enters the amount tendered and the register displays the amount of change due.

3) The same as #2 but automatically dispenses the change.

Unfortunately, it's hard to find employees who can do basic math.

• clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use coins every day as a means of retaining my sanity. But I suppose that is not what you meant.
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this is an interesting question that I never really thought about. my habit for a long time, perhaps a few decades, has been to empty my pockets of change at the end of the day. I do it religiously whenever I get home right after I kick off my shoes and unload whatever I might be bringing into the house. the only time I use change is when I'm out running around and have it in my pocket from an earlier transaction.
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I seldom use coins to buy stuff, usually because I don't leave home with any on hand. Pretty much as soon as I get home with any (also not common), they're transferred into a small basket which will be taken to the bank once a year.

I do keep a couple cents with my camera gear so I can tighten and loosen tripod shoes.
  • drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use cash often.
    I keep Dollars (Ike &Anthony) and half dollars for cashiers who pizz me off.
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I use dimes for screw drivers very often.
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: drwstr123

I use cash often.

I keep Dollars (Ike &Anthony) and half dollars for cashiers who pizz me off.

I got a $2 bill in change the other day.

You're making me wonder what I did to pizz off the cashier? image
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pitching Pennys is kinda hard with a debit card image

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never. Whenever I pay with cash, I keep the change, search it, and throw it in a 5-gal water bottle in the basement. When it fills up, I take it to the bank and deposit it.

Cheers

Bob
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i use cash every day and the coins a few times a week.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This reminds me of the saying : " Get your momma to wash the car " Dad takes it through the drive through so the kids can have fun in the washing machine…. and pays with a credit card at the pump. Mom takes what's left over from the laundromat and uses the rest at the car wash with the brush and wand, by hand. Pumping those dirty statehood quarters into the machine, and racing to get another quarter in , before the machines "Time-Out"….

I'm sure those two vendors can attest to this. image
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: crazyhounddog
    Yes, I use dimes for screw drivers very often.

Agent 86 Maxwell Smart said that a dime is better than a screwdriver because you can't make a phone call using a screwdriver.

(This was in the 70's when there were actually payphones and they did cost a dime to use)

Hydrant

The 3 levels are at the tender screen. This is after the cashier has entered or scanned the items in the ticket and has the total that needs to be paid.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only when paying by cash for items...about once a week. I place my change, all but the penny's, into a cooky jar that gets used for poker nights with the gang. When the jar is almost full, some of the change gets deposited into my m.m account.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    90% of my spending is cash, rather than credit cards (ignoring automatic payments for things like utilities). But I rarely leave the house with a pocketful of coins.

I dislike using credit but sometimes it's unavoidable.

Lance.
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I rarely carry (and therefore use) cash of any kind. It can get uncomfortable when I have to scrounge up money for a tip. I have settled on the practice of leaving some $5's in a drawer at home and in my car.
  • thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually use cash for any drive-through fast food orders under $5. - $6. or if I stop for a couple donuts at Foster's Donuts, etc. That's about it anymore. image
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭
    I use change on small purchases. I also use change when it prevents me from getting more change back such as if an item costs $4.12 and I give the cashier $5.12 so I will get an even $1.00 back.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use cash for almost all small purchases, say $40 or less, and often carry a few coins out of the house in my pocket so that I can sometimes pay the cents and just get bills back as change. I clicked 3-4 times a week.

Still, coins build up in the dish with my keys and assorted pocket stuff, to get emptied into a coffee can. When the can is full, it's off to coinstar.. that day is coming up pretty soon...

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• element159element159 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭
    I spend cash notes probably at least once a day, and I have a procedure for the change: Anything 50c and up is rare and ok for the occasional bus fare, 25c goes for laundry machine money, 1c coppers go in a jar to save, 1c zlincons go in the coinstar bucket, and the gradual accumulation of 5c and 10c goes easily into beer purchases. Keeps the change pile low and easy, and coinstar only gets their take on the zlincolns.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file