Some Silver Art Bars outpacing some collectable Engelhards in per oz. value

A few examples.

Reeses Bar

World Series Bar

Cancelled Eiffel Tower Bar

Cancelled Leaning Tower of Pisa Bar

The Flasher

Felecias Navidades Bar

and I must admit that in some cases, I am the cause of it.

Proves , to me anyway, that collectable items are still the way to go over plain generic, ASE, 90%, etc. bullion.

Now I know someone will say there are limited people you can sell these to when that time would come. My response would be, you're wrong...look at how many bids and bidders where on these auctions...and secondly, if you know those supposed "limited" collectors, you have no problem moving what you may want to for handsome values, and lastly...ultimately as long as there's a place like eBay, these kind of items will go for what they should go for.
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ultimately as long as there's a place like eBay, these kind of items will go for what they should go for.

How true....that is also applicable for a majority of items sold on eBay.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's crazy!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those who keep up with the market , typically make the market. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holey moley..... you are correct....just checked one of mine... Secretariat... and they are selling

for well over $100.... Nice....Thanks, had not thought of checking that venue. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: asheland

That's crazy!

Not really, here's why. If you're a true collector and know that when you have a chance to own 1/10 of something ever made, you pay up and don't think twice about it.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree, there is quite a demand for a lot of these bars, Thanks Again for that link from your other topic.

Last year, I was very fortunate to purchase (followed my hunch) on the lowest dip of the year, a good bit of 'generic' silver from Apmex.

I requested the largest assortment of small bars available, and BOY was I rewarded, maybe for being a loyal customer.

I started looking some up on e-bay, auction prices paid, I was amazed that I could easily make an 8-10 fold profit.

Problem is I never sell or flip anything, MAY start bartering for trades though.

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    New stampede headed towards APMEX!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always say collectibles are a better bet than bullion. If you have a profit on the collectibles then just trade them off for more bullion. Rinse, lather, repeat.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For instance i've been buying war nickels for years. Now all of a sudden there's a market for the XF's and AU's I've been saving. I'll just take my profit in extra silver... ...a lot of extra silver.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: piecesofme
    That's crazy!

Not really, here's why. If you're a true collector and know that when you have a chance to own 1/10 of something ever made, you pay up and don't think twice about it.

Just hope there are not 9 collectors.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    I know the big fine Swiss watch makers bid up and always pay astronomical prices for their vintage watches when they come to auction.
    Then, they advertise that their brand is the most sought after and command the highest prices.
    Self fulfilling business practice I guess.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: piecesofme
    That's crazy!

I can certainly understand that! image
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    I got more than I paid for colorized ASEs when I was selling off my junk silver last year.
    COA
  • Options
    PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mariner67

New stampede headed towards APMEX!

If you read the product reviews you will see that some buyers were not so fortunate.

A 100 ounce order and receiving the same generic rounds and such.

I did specify the largest and most varied assortment possible when I ordered mine last year.

'Limited to stock on hand.........'

That's where I got the 1975 (?) ANA convention bar with the Pine Tree Shilling foil on it.

A few members here actually attended that event!